• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Justin Upton would be a good fit for the Mets.
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • nohan601

Justin Upton would be a good fit for the Mets.

Positves:
We need a leadoff hitter. We need an outfielder. And he is young, only 25. Upton hasn't even hit his prime yet. A fresh start somewhere else wouldn't hurt Upton's chances of reverting back to the form he showed in 2011.

Facts:
Upton signed a six-year extension with the Diamondbacks back in March of 2010. , it will pay him under $10 million in 2013, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015. In September, he hit .304 with a .362 OBP and had six home runs and five stolen bases in only 115 at bats. And it wasn’t just one month. After the All-Star break, Upton had a .287/.357/.460 slash line. That wasn’t quite his 2011 power numbers (.289/.369/.529) but his average and OBP were very similar.

The issue aquiring him:
$51.25 million- 6 year contract (mets cant afford him or can they?)
prospects and players: who to give up? ( not wheeler or harvey of course) duda? familia? dickey? neise?
-I actually like neise and think the mets should keep him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Matt H
Diamondbacks seem like they will trade every other outfielder besides Upton this off-season. Unless, they were blown away with an offer. The Met's do not seem to have the pieces (besides a Harvey/Wheeler) where they would be able to afford to blow them away with an offer. Upton would fit in the lineup nicely with power,speed, youth, right handed, outfielder. Unfortunately, there is not currently a match.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545725.3 was deleted
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB
obviously he would be a great fit here and I'm a big supporter of getting him. Some here think that we HAVE to give up either Wheeler or Niese and THEN some. I really don't believe that. I think if we offered a deal centering around Flores and Familia and added on from there, he could be had if we picked up the entire contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • bucknerismyhero
I agree that Upton would be a terrific fit for the Mets. However, I do not see anyway that we are picking up his entire salary and I severely disagree about the type of package that would need to be surrendered to get him. Niese is a nice start to a deal for Upton, but he is at best a #2 starter and by most accounts Familia will be a reliever by this coming season. That is hardly a package worthy of trading a young franchise-type piece. Arizona is in no hurry to deal Upton. They have highly thought of young pitchers on the horizon and the NL West is largely up in the air. The D-Backs can honestly bounce back pretty quickly if they are smart. Upton's name is only out there in the market for the same reason as it has been in the past: See if you can get a king's ransom. Niese and Familia hardly qualify...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB
I wouldn't even include Niese in the deal. I believe he could bring back more than just Upton from another team. Trading Niese makes sense ONLY if we are filling multiple holes with quality ML players....not trading him for a prospect like others have suggested.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • bucknerismyhero
Niese is coming off of a nice season and has a very team friendly contract, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Niese was never considered to be more than a middle of the rotation type starter previous to last year. If the Diamondbacks are going to deal Upton, which they absolutely do not need to do, they are going to get multiple pieces back. If you wouldn't consider putting Niese into such a deal, then we have absolutely no chance of getting a player of Upton's caliber. You need to give up something to get something, and seeing how the Diamondbacks are much closer to competing than we are, why would they be interested in trading their greatest asset to us when we aren't give up ours? Without trading Niese or Dickey, who I doubt they want, we have nothing of value.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • AdrianMonk

It's not going to happen. People don't see the elephant in the room.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • thebobymon
You mean the 800 pound gorilla dressed as an elephant.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • bkvega
If the Dbacks demand to get Niese in the deal he's gone in a heart beat. Imagine Wright Batting third Hamilton 4th and BJ 5th and Davis 6th. Wow!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • nohan601
I never said it was?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • mysticpiazza
I think he's too pricey given his spotty career so far. True, he's young and has 5 tool talent potential, but remove him from Arizona and what will he hit? His home vs. splits aren't terrible, but he only hit 17 HRs last year and 11 were hit at home. For 1/3 less money, a guy like Choo has put up nearly comparable numbers to Upton (Don't believe me? Go look it up). There's a 5 year age difference in Upton's favor, however. But I think Upton's a bit overrated.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB
I understand we have to give up something to get something but that doesn't include Niese. We could get more elsewhere if we traded Niese.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • dbackfanron

OK I'll play along. No Wheeler or Niese. "...a deal centering around Flores and Familia and added on from there"

Upton for Flores, Familia, Nimmo, Puello, Tapia, and Urbina.

Oh. And Duda.

Edited 11/30/12   by  dbackfanron
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • bucknerismyhero
I severely doubt that we would trade 8 guys for 1. However, I would certainly send you Flores, Familia, Puello, and Duda...

Edited 11/30/12   by  bucknerismyhero
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB

"Upton for Flores, Familia, Nimmo, Puello, Tapia, and Urbina.

Oh. And Duda."

LOL!!!!

No way you would get Nimmo.

Flores, Familia, then pick 2 of Duda/Puello/Tapia/Urbina

That's more realistic

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • dbackfanron

"No way you would get Nimmo."

No way you get Justin Upton.

"Flores, Familia, then pick 2 of Duda/Puello/Tapia/Urbina"

Familia is a marginally good MLB player at best. Familia is going to wind up in the bullpen and probably won't even become closer material for at least four more years if ever.

Flores is probably an Ian Stewart type player.

Duda is absolute GARBAGE.

Tapia, and Urbina are long shots at best of every playing MLB.

Puello might turn out to be a decent corner outfielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • DFAB
ah...another undervaluing of Mets players...shocker.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/28/13
  • thagreat1
Upton has okay numbers but nothing that warrants what he was asking for
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/28/13
  • almandareo357

I still think he would've been a good fit for the Mets. Especially with the D. Wright Tidewater area connection.

His talent is evident. He just needs to be coached up and some mentoring, in my opinion.

• Reply to this Message