• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • wright75
: )
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • CHOOin2014

In a perfect world...

#7 (Reyes), #16 (Gooden) & #18 (Strawberry) should have made it too were it not for cocoa plants...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Kranesback
You mean he's going to get fat and nasty too?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • 86kid

Well, that would be great if that happened, but 8 years is a long time.

He agreeed to the contract, but that doesn't assure that he will be here for that term of time. I believe that Wright will gain 10/5 no-trade rights in 2015, but even then, all it takes is his okay for a trade to happen, and who knows what he or the Mets will be feeling about this marriage at that point.

I was very much in favor of dealing Wright, because from an on the field/baseball standpoint, I felt it was the "best" way the help the franchise long term. But from an sentimental standpoint, as I said before the deal was reached, I would not be mad if we extended him. I love Wright as a player and as person.

I just hope now that both sides don't end up regretting this. I don't want us to be paying this guy a ton of money only to wallow on bottom of the division teams the next few years.

They need to up their payroll, yes, but they also need to build around him correctly this time. That means with proper mix of prospects and vets. I still ask myself how this is going to be done if they aren't not willing to trade their valuable pieces like Dickey, and also not willing to up the payroll.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/1/12
  • 3bwright

I agree with this

Only way it does not happen is if he is traded (did not see NO Trade) or signs a one year deal for another club after this 8 year deal (because it would get Owners mad)

My only problem is do not give the number to anyone after Wright is gone.

Once the organization gives the number to another player and that player s#cks it hurts the meaning

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507

"signs a one year deal for another club after this 8 year deal (because it would get Owners mad)"

Disagree, Mike Piazza did it and he's going to have his # retired.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
Those other guys took us to the promise land, with right all he does is give us promises, then takes vacation during the 2nd half of the season...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • Moses0507
Casey Stengel?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • thegooch42
Yeah a guy with no power who has lead this team to absolutely nothing, that just signed a ridiculous contract that puts the teams balls in a vice 5 years down the line.......sounds just like seaver, one of the greatest pitchers of alltime.
  • Reply to this Message