• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Did we learn any lessons from Santana's 137.5 million?
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • stearnsy12

let's be really honest here,for the past 2-3 years almost everyone on this board has been counting the days until we get out from Johan's contract....he signed it entering 2008 at the age of 29

we've gotten,in FIVE seasons, a record of 46-34 with an ERA of 3.18

our record in that 5 year span?? 389-421 (.480)

people want to say we ripped off the Twins but what have we really gotten in return for 137.5 million?...i'm not criticizing Johan,the guy's a warrior,but let's be honest

David Wright will be making 138 million over the next 8 seasons,an agreement that will begin when he's 30 and end when he's 37...

the problem that i have with this deal is ONLY that we've just done what this FO and most fans agreed we should never do again and that's to hand out a monster-mega-million dollar deal that may handcuff us for years to come

i love David Wright,he's a good player and a stand-up guy any team would love to have on their roster

the sentimental reasons to keep him a Met for his career are truly OVERWHELMING

but as part of a legitimate plan to build a long term winner?

i don't see it and it's this point of view that some people here have which is just as legitimate as the giddiness surrounding his signing

keeping him in a Met uniform for his career is truly a great feel-good story but i wonder if by 2015 or 2016 we'll be counting the days until we're out from under THIS monster contract

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

Johan Santana was a pitcher first off, and he already showed signed of shoulder problems.

The Mets went for in 2008, and if they had won a WS/Pennant no one would have questioned Santan's contract but it didn't work out that way.

Now Wright has been Pretty darn consistent throughout his career. Could he decline or get hurt and be a bad deal, of course, but I don't see it happening. You have to have faith in some players or you'll never be good.

Taking a chance on a 30 year old Star 3B is worth it, even if the last few years are a struggle for him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • mets06ny
I hear the contract is middle loaded so he's not getting paid the big money on the back end of his contract and career. Not sure if thats true though
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • stearnsy12

but you/we can't really argue that it was worth giving Johan 137.5 million for 6 years even if we were going for it in '08

NOW let me say this, i was absolutely 100% FOR the trade and contract although the number 137,500,000 seemed a bit over the top even for someone of Santana's ilk

David has not really been consistent the last 4 seasons. During his first 4-5 years? Yes,very much so...

the problem with this deal are these realities: We have to hope David is a 25/100 rbi guy for at least the next 5-6 seasons AND that the Nationals,Braves,and Phillies all decline without making any further moves or spending more money than we will AND that our ownership is out of the woods regarding its financial woes AND that our very own "prospects are prospects" work out very well

it's true prospects are prospects,but the above suppositions coming true are probably MORE risky than a package of prospects

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • stearnsy12
heard that too,and that would make more sense,but this contract is a huge gamble IMO,just as huge if not moreso than dealing him for prospects and rebuilding would be
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • murphstates

There are two ways to make the team relevant again. You either do a complete rebuild, in which case Reyes, Wright, Dickey and anyone else over 27 with any value would have been traded.

Or you can resign your players and spend money to fill holes through free agency or trades.

We're doing neither. If we were rebuilding we'd be discussing what we're getting back for Wright and Dickey and if we were filling holes Reyes would still be at short and we'd be talking about which outfielders to sign or target in a trade.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545706.7 was deleted
  • 11/30/12
  • stearnsy12

that's my honest concern with this franchise right now,that there really is no long term plan in place and that we don't have the resources for a short term plan,so where are we??

our two best prospects,Harvey and Wheeler,are going to have to go through their own learning curve and hit some bumps along the way and there's very little behind them coming through

we don't have the money to turn things around in the next couple of years and if we did we should have at least been signing someone like Laird and/or Pierre to make us more competitive in the short term

let's see what the Winter Meetings bring

all i'm saying here is that this is a legitimate position to take regarding being concerned about "what's next"

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • stearnsy12
listen,if this discussion is too mature for you and you can't see any point of view other than your own you can take your ball and go play elsewhere,no one's forcing you to come to this table
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • 86kid

Well, everyone knows I was in favor of dealing Wright and Dickey. But as I said before, if they ended up extending him, I would not be mad about it, because I love Wright.

That said however, I still can not help but feel that the Wilpons once again threw the fan base a bone. But that bone may not have much meat on it, because the jury is still out as to whether they'll now invest in putting a team around David sooner or not.

I still can't help but feel that once again this franchise had two paths to pick, and once again chose the least favorable one. We don't know that for sure yet, but I just feel like cashing in our best chips now, at high value, was the better way to go for the long term. Other franchises seem to do it, even those franchises in big markets, but never the Mets.

Let's hope this path works out though.

So now what ? Do we trade Dickey in order fill the gaping holes in our outfield ?

Do we trade Neise ? - I sure hope not.

Edited 11/30/12   by  86kid
Edited 11/30/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet

"we've gotten,in FIVE seasons, a record of 46-34 with an ERA of 3.18

our record in that 5 year span?? 389-421 (.480)"

It sounds like Santana lived up to his contract. We can't blame him for injuries, unless you believe that he injured himself on purpose? He had a winning record for a team with a losing record and his ERA was closer to the best pitcher than it was to the league average. You seem to hate every Mets player. Are you sure you root for this team?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
Wright has a hole in his swing, and towards the end of the season that hole seems to grow... I blame this on his conditioning, if this is the case I expect him to possibly lose it quick... I would not be suprised to see him batting 246 with 15 hrs with in the next few years... Remember when I warned you guys about Bay, and he was still putting up good numbers, the thing I warned you guys about was holes in his swing... The same holes I see in Wrights swing...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • PrayedforBay
The bottom line is Wright is a good player and they want a franchise player for the first time in club history. So what. It doesn't change payroll that much in the coming years so who cares. You can have payroll flexibility with one big contract like that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
Wright is not a good player in my book... Sure he has good number, and is a good player for most of the season, but good players are good when the season counts, they don't turn into automatic out and strike out machines...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
Just imagine what they would call a QB who is leading the league in passer rating and TD's yet every season at the same time, he becomes a qb that throws nothing but picks..... The his team is eliminated from the playoffs then he begins to throw a few TD's again... Well that's David Wright, in a nutshell...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • PrayedforBay

The entire season counts, and he hit above his career average avgRISP at .317. So you whatever, you cant blame Wright for the near 0 production of the outfield and the second to last ranked bullpen.

There were bad offensive teams, way worse than the Mets, but they had good bullpens. Oakland is an outstanding example of that.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet
A quarterback calls the plays and is responsible for every play. Neither Wright , nor any player, has such a large part of responsibility nor as much direct effect on the outcome of the game. I can see why you hate Wright so much. You seem to have no grasp of Baseball and you seem to forget about the other 24 players on the roster. Maybe you should rethink your theory.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan

In July he batted 255 with 7 hrs 27 k's and 25 hits...
Then he batted 271 in August with only 1 hr and 7 rbi's 23 k's and only 28 hits..
In Sept he batted 258 with 4 hrs 21 k's and 25 hits..... Sorry this guy is not a great player great players play whole seasons, Wright is not consistent enough to get the money he got......
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • spydermet
There are many streaky players. You mention part of the season, but ignore the other half. Why, if it doesn't support your theory, then it didn't happen?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/1/12
  • MetsMan
Yall need to stop making excuses for him (thats what losers do) and face the facts, he is not consistent enough, he folds during crunch time, and is a strike out machine, especially when he tanks it during the 2nd half of the season.. Basically he becomes an easy out, and lets face it we have too many easy outs on our club to become competitive...
  • Reply to this Message