• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bigger joke.. marlins fire sale or the state of the mets?
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • theGlGGLER

NY team with pretty much limitless resources or a florida team that saw it wasnt going to work after one year and blew it up? I hate to say it but i think its clear its the state of our club.

The biggest storylines of the offseason are potentially resigning two players that helped us win 70 games. And I dont mean that as a slight against either guy as I think they r both great mets but the fact is resigning these two does absolutely nothing for next year.

The real problem is MLB allowing the wilpons to operate a team they clearly do not have the resources for. The miami thing was a debacle but in my eyes what the commish is allowing to happen to the mets is worse. Guess its good to have friends in high places...

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

"the state of the mets"

Idk, I actually think the Mets will pretty good in a couple years.

Harvey and Wheeler are going to be SICK.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • bbjmparis

Does nothing for next year??? How does resigning your best all round player and six time all-star, and hopefully a Cy Young winner not help the team in 2013? Do you think we'd be a better team without them? I don't. The problem with the Mets is not Wright and Dickey. The problem is our over-hyped, and not very good young players. Guys like, Mejia, Familiar, Baxter, Duda, Thole, who just stink, and our veteran players like, Murphy, Tejada, and Torres who are deeply flawed and should be back-ups not starters. Another problem is the mindset that Guys like Harvey and Wheeler are going to be stars and save us. Odds are they won't be.

We have 4 players who would be starters on a decent club. Dickey, Niese, Wright, and Davis. Saying that signing two of them doesn't help is just silly. You want to start over, then get rid of the other 21 and keep what we know is good

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • robedits

Have to agree with you on all counts,with some caveats:

Good: we locked up Wright. Bad: there won't be ANY other money to sign ANY worthwhile FAs. So our problems continue at: C, LF,CF,RF,BULLPEN. If anybody will be signed to help out here,they will most assuredly be scrubs of the lowest order.
Anyone we have in the minors offensively is NOT yet ready for prime time. Krik showed he can handle the glove but not the bat. Dekker is getting older,and offensively also is not ready. Flores? Too soon to tell.
Harvey looks like he'll be special,perhaps. Or maybe the league will figure him out. Wheeler ALSO may be special.but he's done nothing in the majors yet. Johan is toast. Dickey: will he repeat his Cy YOung season at 39, or was last season his nadir? Niese improved,and is a solid pitcher. Will he improve or regress? OUr starting pitching may be decent,but without a bullpen (and no help forthcoming,and FF as our "closer"), and without better offense....more of the same.
I"m torn between wanting to have kept David (our best offensive player;which frankly isnt saying much), and NOT signing him to free up that money for a few needed parts.
Oh well. I didnt expect more than 75 wins last season;I'm not expecting more this or next season,either.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • bbjmparis

Two different issues. 1-What's good for the Mets, 2-What the Wilpons will spend

Resigning Wright was good for the Mets. Not signing a decent FA or two, bad. However, I have zero confidence that if the Mets didn't resign Wright, that they'd spend his salary on a good FA and not just pocket the money. What did the Wilpons do with the money they saved by not signing Reyes?

Trading a guy like Wright for prospects only makes sense if you use his salary to buy a good FA. Since I doubt the Wilpons would do that, and there aren't too many guys on the FA market I really like anyway, I'm delighted we kept David.

One of the few good moves the Mets have made recently.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • robedits
I agree...it shows that maybe the Shillponzis DO have money to spend after all. I did not think they would sign David. And yes,seeing how Spindy SPinderson got fleeced last season (Pagan for FF/Ramirez), I don't have confidence that any worthwhile FAs would have been signed if we HAD ditched his future salary and not signed David.
But,point still being: now there can't possibly be any money left for any worthwhile FAs. THat is,until JOhan and Bay's salary are off the books.
We kept our best hitter (we lost our 2nd best hitter when Jose was allowed to leave).
WE're still a weak team,but what's true is we'd have been positively anemic WITHOUT Wright.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • jsmet

Harvey and Wheeler are going to be SICK<

What about their lineup?

• Reply to this Message
Message 545671.8 was deleted
  • 11/30/12
  • 4545_ajd

"We got a career year out of Dickey last year, and a solid overall year out of Wright. We were still an awful team"

Ok but our BP was terrible, we lost 3/5ths of our opening day rotation to season ending injuries, we had players under perform in LF CF RF and catcher, Ike Davis had a terrible first half. You have to also take that into consideration when talking about next year, not to mention opening day is still 5 months away and we don't know what the team will look like come April especially now that they should have some money to spend with Bay's salary being deferred and Wright salary being back loaded.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • oceans48
I agree. The Wilpons are our biggest problem and shouldn't be allowed to run a franchise. As far as the Marlins/Mets messes:
The Marlins see what isn't working and try to fix it.
The Mets see what isn't working and do nothing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • Moses0507

I believe in David Wright's talent, and I believe he will continue to be solid.

I think if Ike can at least produce what he did in '12, but with a higher average, that'll make him a very good offensive player.

Ruben Tejada is a solid shortstop, and does the small things offensively.

You are right they NEED to add at least one solid Bat before 2014. Maybe a Willingham type, and/or then look for a trade for a catcher or another OF.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545671.12 was deleted
  • 11/30/12
  • hammr1952
marlins fix what? playing a shell game is what they do best.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • oceans48
The operative word was "try" to fix it. They at least keep their fans interested! lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • hammr1952
they have NO fans... most of the FANS in the seats more often are visiting teams fans.
mets have tried fixing things... our problem is meddling ownership..... plain and simple.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • wastomoney
Well said sir, well said.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • the_vig

"and our veteran players like, Murphy, Tejada,"

Veteran players? Really?????

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
fernando rodney