• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What has this front office done?
  • To:All
  • 11/28/12
  • elsid1986

Some here have sing the praises of Sandy, DePodesta et al. But aside from the Wheeler trade, what have they done? His remake of the bullpen last year was a disaster. All they do is bide their time until contracts expire. You do not need to be a baseball guru to sit on the sidelines and let attritition be your best accomplishment.

This front office collectively probably makes 5 million dollars a year. I was really hoping this offseason they would earn their salaries and show some creativity. But now we hear they don't expect to make trades and they hope to fill outfield needs by signing free agents, but Hairston may be out of their price range.

They claim to be rebuilding the farm, but they spent middle of the pack this year on amateur signings and are never involved in the top international guys.

So please enlighten me, what have they accomplished besides what I have mentioned here?

• Reply to this Message
Message 545626.2 was deleted
  • 11/28/12
  • wastomoney

// Some here have sing the praises of Sandy, DePodesta et al. But aside from the Wheeler trade,
// what have they done? His remake of the bullpen last year was a disaster. All they do is bide
// their time until contracts expire. You do not need to be a baseball guru to sit on the sidelines
// and let attritition be your best accomplishment.

Sometimes the best moves are those not made. Sandy has had a much more modest payroll than the previous administration and been hamstrung by their mistakes. He has made no long term mistakes and has a promising young pitching staff. This team is so screwed up that it will take time. Think about all of the knee-jerk awful moves Omar made, Sandy has not done that. Patience is a virtue, Sandy has done a good job given the situation he has been put in.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • 4545_ajd
They also signed Dickey to a 3 year 12.5M (7.8M guaranteed) contract in 2011, and locked up Jon Niese to a very affordable deal. And got rid of Krod which would have been a huge Albatross. I would say you have to add those to the list of things this front office has done.

Edited 11/28/12   by  4545_ajd
Edited 11/28/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • DFAB
The FO has done exactly what the ownership has allowed them to do...almost NOTHING.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • elsid1986
Ok so Sandy has an indefinite amount of time? And maybe the Mets will be good again when my 8 year old is in college.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • wastomoney

//Ok so Sandy has an indefinite amount of time? And maybe the Mets will be good again when my
//8 year old is in college.

When he has a 94 million dollar payroll and 42 of it going to Jason Bay and Johan Santana, a guy who was the worst regular in all of baseball and another guy who played half a season and wasn't that good when he played, then yes, he has more time. When Omar's terrible contracts are gone, then it will be Sandy's responsibility if the team is not good. Those contracts are up after next year. If the Mets are no good in 2014, then you can put some blame on Sandy. Until then, it is Omar's fault.

But really, this is mostly Jeff Wilpon's fault. He is comically ill prepared to run a major league baseball team. I actually have a friend who is close to the Wilpon family. He has made it clear to me that Jeff really is as bad in person as he seems in the news. He is a classic rich child given everything who has earned nothing. And he is proving it year after year. He has been behind most of these awful deals then he blames GMs when they go wrong.

It does seem like he has ceded some control since Sandy has come. And that is how Sandy has earned his money. There have been no awful deals since he has been here. You can say all he has done is gotten wheeler. (Pretty huge if you ask me.) But he also hasn't signed Ollie Perez, Johan Santana, Jason Bay, traded for Victor Zambrano, signed Kris Benson, etc etc etc. He has righted the ship, not until the waste is gone will they be good. But look at where they are now. They have some young pitching talent in Wheeler, Niese and Harvey. They have some hope offensively with Ike Tejada, Nieuenheis and some of the guys in the minors like Flores. They clearly have a long way to go but Sandy's first job has been to clean up and that unfortunately is a process that takes time.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • AdrianMonk

They've made several contributions to charitable organizations and events.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • lizzz
..like the Bernie Madoff Fund....that's one....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • gilforhof
lol and they say Mets fans have no sense of humor
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • OrangeandBlue86

"They also signed Dickey to a 3 year 12.5M (7.8M guaranteed) contract in 2011, and locked up Jon Niese to a very affordable deal. And got rid of Krod which would have been a huge Albatross. I would say you have to add those to the list of things this front office has done."

Yea cuz we didn't need a respectable closer last year. I get it he had to drop salary and he did, but a monkey could do that. Omar Minaya (i can't beleive im defending him) at least found a cheap gem here and there. R.A. Dickey for one! John Maine was very good for a year and a half at least, Valentin had a great 06, loduca too, Endy Chavez to name a few.

Alderson on the other hand has brought nobody. Yes he signed niese, i liked the idea of locking up niese cheap. I like Wheeler for Beltran. But what new guys has he actually brought in that have actually produced? Yes i know he has no money to spend, but most of the omar guys i mentioned were signed for peanuts.

Hairston has hit lefties well and hits an occasional solo home run that usually doesn't even affect the outcome of the game but ok i'll give u him. Who else has great moneyball sabermetric talent evaluator brought in? Omar has his own faults believe me i don't want him back either, but at least he has some eye for talent. he is just a bad gm. Sandy has brought in total busts just about every time.

How'd D.J. Carrasco turn out? Francisco who we still owe 6 million dollars??? He is terrible. Brad Eamus? Chin Lung Hu? Not convincing the Wilpons to drop Bay, im sure he could have pushed for it. How bout letting that horrible backup catcher Nickeas play so much without sending the guy down!, Andres Torres? Ramon Ramirez? Vinny Rottino? I don't wanna hear Chris Young is good i really don't he's a worthless injury prone 5 inning pitcher. Might as well let any kid from triple a pitch.

Ronny Cedeno is decent, so's Rauch, and ill give him Baxter too but those guys and Hairston is all the guys borught in in 3 years? I dont care bout the money, any gm worth anything could bring in more than that for any price tag, good lord

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • alex6633
The minor league system is much better than it was. Guys like Fulmer, Nimmo, Mazzoni, Wheeler, Muno, Evans, Plawecki, Koch, Flexen. They're drafting a lot more higher upside players now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • elsid1986

The minor league system is much better than it was

When I read those names I see: Pulsipher, Wilson, Izzy, Milledge, FMart. I am not saying you don't need to develope you players, but they over hype their drafts, yet they let the second round pick go to college this year instead of just offering slot. They have some pitching but absolutely no bat's that are closer than 3 years away. They spent middle of the pack in all of baseball on total amateur spending this year and they are never involved with the top international guys. And the farm system is still ranked no better than top 15.

And for those who say Sandy has had success building winners thru the player developement I would only point out the ONLY World Series he ever won as a GM, he had the highest payroll in baseball.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • 4545_ajd

"et they let the second round pick go to college this year instead of just offering slot. They have some pitching but absolutely no bat's that are closer than 3 years away. They spent middle of the pack in all of baseball on total amateur spending this year and they are never involved with the top international guys. And the farm system is still ranked no better than top 15. "

They get that draft pick back this year so it's not as if they lost anything, and they did just give 1.75M to 16 year old international prospect German Rosario, which was the largest international contract the Mets have ever given to a prospect.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • elsid1986

"and they did just give 1.75M 16 year old international prospect German Rosario, which was the largest international contract the Mets have ever given to a prospect."

I don't consider him top international talent. They never even considered Cespedes, whose demands were so reasonable the low budget A's signed him

"They get that draft pick back this year so it's not as if they lost anything"

They get the pick back, but they don't get to spend the money they didn't spend last year. And for a team that claims to want to build a foundation you don't waste a second round pick in any draft, any year.

For an organization with 3 GMS that are supposed to be these guru's at drafting and developing, how do you let so many draft picks go unsigned.

Edited 11/29/12   by  elsid1986
Edited 11/29/12   by  elsid1986
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • 4545_ajd

"They get the pick back, but they don't get to spend the money they didn't spend last year."

Actually they do. And that played a large part in not signing him.

"Q: Was it your intention not to sign second-round pick Teddy Stankiewicz in order to use that slot money to apply to other picks?

DePodesta: “It came down as much to looking to next year’s draft as anything else. We certainly liked Teddy quite a bit -- enough to take him where we did. But the situation is now that we get that pick next year. And, I think, just as importantly we get that cap space next year. Realistically, we’re not going to have as much cap space next year as we had this year. But having that additional pick next year will hopefully give us a chance to be much more competitive in next year’s draft, even if the major league team continues to play very well. We obviously won’t have any extra picks for the loss of free agents "

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/51834/part-ii-depo-talks-prospects-farm-draft

Edited 11/29/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • elsid1986

This seems to say differently:

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/10/2013-first-year-player-draft-order-and-bonus-pool-money.html

"During this year’s draft, the Mets’ Bonus Pool was $7,151,400 and they were allowed to spend $8,351,400 without incurring any penalties under the new CBA. The Mets spent $6,285,400 of their allotted pool money leaving a little over $2 million on the table. In accordance with the new rules, only $185,600 of that amount will carry over to the next draft and it is included in next year’s spending allotment reflected above"

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • fargol

"Ok so Sandy has an indefinite amount of time? And maybe the Mets will be good again when my 8 year old is in college. "

Sandy has as much time as the owners give him.

Why the he!! don't people understand that SA is an EMPLOYEE, like every single other GM out there.

Do some people really think he should just do stuff without checking with his boss first?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • elsid1986
Everybody from Selig to Wilpon to many here see Sandy as this genius that is so great at rebuilding baseball teams. I know the Wilpons have the financial handcuffs on him. But considering what he, Depodesta and Ricciardi make, you would think they would come up with some creativity that is cost neutral. Waiting for contracts to expire by attrition, anyone can do.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/29/12
  • fargol

"Everybody from Selig to Wilpon to many here see Sandy as this genius that is so great at rebuilding baseball teams."
I honestly have seen no one up here proclaim SA a genius.

" But considering what he, Depodesta and Ricciardi make, you would think they would come up with some creativity that is cost neutral."
You mean through trades? What do we have that's 1) appealing, and 2) doesn't leave us with a hole?

You want quality back, you have to trade quality. Many say DW and RA should be traded. That's fine, except that leaves 2 holes, one of them being a Cy Young winner. Sure, he's 38, but he's also a knuckleballer.

You want to trade our best prospects? Wheeler? Harvey? Now you weaken the farm.

SA is in a bad, bad position. Weak (relatively speaking) farm, not a lot of ML talent, and very little to spend at this time.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
JSAngel: Trout a Fraud
Latest by jsmet - 7:23 AM
Musician Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:20 AM
Music Thread II
Latest by jereviens - 7:15 AM
Baseball Name Game
Latest by jereviens - 7:11 AM
Wilmer Flores with 7 RBI already
Latest by jsmet - 7:11 AM