• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Piazza HOF ballot?
  • To:All
  • 11/28/12
  • guitarpunk2512
so, mike piazza is eligible for HOF ballot for the first time this year, what are the chances he gets in as a met?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • anobleone
Better numbers with LA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • guitarpunk2512
but he is more remembered for his time as a met, he had a bigger impact and left an impression on baseball as a met, nobody remembers piazza as a dodger. Mike piazza lifted the mets from oblivion and brought them back into the spotlight, he was the face of this franchise, he may have had better numbers as a dodger, but his name and career was made as a met, and he also has the 9/11 homerun on his shoulder than every fan of baseball will remember. and if i recall correctly, he stated himself, he wants to wear a met hat if he gets in
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • anobleone

I think he will go in as a Met. As a kid he was my favorite player at the time and Fox destroyed the Dodgers when they traded him. The main reason that he will go in as a Met instead of the Dodgers is because of him taking the Mets to the 2000 WS.

His number should be retired by both teams. Does he get a say in the process or does MLB pick the team he goes in as?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • anobleone
My answer is yes. Maybe not this year, but he will get in.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • bronxdodger
The Dodgers only retire the #'s of players in the HOF with the exception of Jim "Junior" Gilliam's 19.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545600.7 was deleted
  • 11/28/12
  • spydermet

"he probably would never have even played pro ball if it weren't for the dodgers doing a favor to tommy lasorda, a friend of mike's father, and drafting him when he wasn't on any other team's radar- not one."

That sounds more like luck as he wasn't on the Dodger's radar either. As you said, they were doing Lasorda a favor. No team should be congratulated for picking someone in round 60+.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • wrghtknght

Pretty sure Carter A) wanted to wear the Mets cap and B) was willing to compromise by having a split-plaque. We all know how that turned out.....

Do NOT be surprised in the slightest if Mike Piazza is inducted as a Dodger. Then again, I was wrong about the uniform keeping Dickey from the Cy Young, so anything is possible....

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • spydermet
Carter may have went in as an Expo because their were no Expos in the Hall. Piazza is a different story.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • DFAB
Spent more time with the Mets, was more remembered as a Met, was a bigger influence on the Mets than with the Dodgers...if he goes in as a Dodger something is SERIOUSLY wrong...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • anobleone

So says the all almighty NY media...

Longer time, worse numbers. How do you know he was remembered more as a Met? ROY with the Dodgers, MVP-2 twice with LA, .362 batting avg one year, and one mean billy ray Cyrus hair cut.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • dvsol
According to the article www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/sports/baseball/steroid-era-players-pose-difficulty-for-hall-of-fame-voters.html?ref=sports&_r=0, it looks like the issue of whether Piazza will go into the HOF as a Met is moot because if he's being lumped in with the steroid users (Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa), he won't be elected.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545600.14 was deleted
  • 11/28/12
  • mysticpiazza
If Piazza doesn't get in first time round I'll be shocked. He played 8 seasons with the Mets (3941PAs) and 6-1/2 with the Dodgers (3017PAs). Time served alone he'd go in as a Met. In fact, I think the Mets wanted to retain him longer than his tenure with the Dodgers to increase his chances of making the HOF as a Met. Plus, he had 5 post season appearances with the Mets vs 2 with the Dodgers. (though 2 NLDS appearances each).
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545600.16 was deleted
  • 11/28/12
  • Robert
Piazza is not going to get in. He is lumped in with the rest of the group. Whether that is fair or unfair
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545600.18 was deleted
  • 11/28/12
  • spydermet

"not really luck. tommy insisted that mike could hit, and urged them to give him a shot."

If this were true, he would have been drafted earlier. The truth is that they weren't afraid of him going to another team. Nobody wanted him, including the Dodgers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"heck, maybe he should go in as a marlin! :P"

Humor aside, you lose credibility with such statements.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • DFAB
and he hit more hrs with the Mets, broke the hr record for catcher with the Mets...I can pick specific stats too...Piazza is a MET...whether you'll admit it or not it doesn't matter...
  • Reply to this Message