• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Keeping RA,dealing Niese = one step forward two steps back
  • To:All
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12

i guess it's all rumors of course but just offering my opinion on the philosophy of keeping a 38 year old pitcher and dealing a 26 year old lefty

i can't see how that makes any sense moving forward,not even to this FO and ownership

then again i'm in the re-build camp and would deal David also

dealing for prospects with Dickey and keeping a young lefty seems to be the direction we SHOULD be moving in

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Metsbert

~~~ i guess it's all rumors of course but just offering my opinion on the philosophy of keeping a 38 year old pitcher and dealing a 26 year old lefty ~~~

I don't think it's "rumors" per say, but more like options that the Mets have. I agree with you, in that IF one of either Niese or Dickey HAS to be traded, that it should be Dickey.

BUT, if Alderson can pull a wabbit out of his hat, and deal Niese and get back a package similar to what the A's got when they traded Gio Gonzalez, a pitcher who's not too dissimilar to Niese, then I say go for it.

Besides, they can't trade Niese. He was born on the day the Mets won their last World Series!

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • thebobymon

The Cars had a cool song in the 80's.

Shake It Up I think it was called.

Let's see what happens.

Edited 11/8/12   by  thebobymon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • METMAINEAC

one of MANY!

Moving in Stereo
Drive
Bye, Bye Love

even the new album's not half bad..

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • METMAINEAC
not neccesarily in your camp, but if your dealing any of those guys, you have to do better than "prospects" dont you?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12

maybe with that birth date Jonathan can bring back some Amazin' to the Mets

my thinking would be that if Niese is to be dealt then it's "all hands on deck" as far as deals are concerned and a total rebuild should be initiated....

i think if we're going in that direction than Wright,Dickey,Davis,Niese,and Parnell could/should be dealt for a substantial group of high tier near ML ready prospects.......

if we're going to do it then do it the right way,don't deal a 26 year old for prospects and then keep a 30 and 38 year old waiting for the prospects to mature

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12

yep,it was Shake it Up

i think we SHOULD

but i think keeping Dickey and Wright and dealing Niese would be a move down Shake Down Street (the Dead)

Edited 11/8/12   by  stearnsy12
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • METMAINEAC
not that i agree with you, but just cut to the chase..."Loser" would be a much more appropriate Dead tune for your example.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12

but if you're dealing a 26 year old Niese coming into his prime who are you dealing him for?

a 26 year old outfielder coming into his prime?

i think a young talented lefty is more valuable than a young talented outfielder and that's a big IF in regards to who we'd get back

even Justin Upton wouldn't be enough,IMO,for Jonathan Niese,especially not playing 81 games at Citifield and after the season he just had

if we're getting that Trumbo kid from the Angels that's one thing,then put him at first and deal Davis,ok.....

and if as you say we're trading any or some of those players it should be the start of a total rebuild IMO

get as many prospects as we can back....just my personal philosophy

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • METMAINEAC

I agree in regards to trading niese..not interested, but trading any of those guys, I'd rather have ready now talent, than a handful of "ifs".

Some good trade talk on WFAN now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • metrebel

<> i guess it's all rumors of course but just offering my opinion on the philosophy of keeping a 38 year old pitcher and dealing a 26 year old lefty

i can't see how that makes any sense moving forward,not even to this FO and ownership

then again i'm in the re-build camp and would deal David also

dealing for prospects with Dickey and keeping a young lefty seems to be the direction we SHOULD be moving in

Unless you get a package that you can't turn down for Neise there's no way I would trade him. Good lefty pitching is very valuable. This is an if, which most things are in this game, but should Harvey and Wheeler pitch up to their potential and Neise continues to improve, the Mets could end up with a top of the rotation that few teams could match. With Ike you would have to get the right package, but both these kids are young talented players you can build the team around. Ike put up good power numbers and what's so impressive about it is that he did that with little to no protection in the lineup.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • TheChosen1

Completely agree. Who suggested that??

If Niese go, RA better too.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • TheChosen1

>>you have to do better than "prospects" dont you?<<

I think people on this board have a mis-understanding of the word 'prospect'. (Not saying you).

When I, for example, say 'TOP prospects', I'm not neccesarily referring to guys who are years away. I'm talking about guys who would be ready NOW.

For example. yesterday some of us on here discussed Wil Myers of the Royals. He is the #3 rated 'prospect' in baseball. But he played AA and AAA in 2012. He's ready to make his debut now.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • METMAINEAC

I gotcha..

yup, those are the types I want to see.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • AdrianMonk

When the Mets trade stars, they get the likes of Pat Zachary or an aging Jim Fregosi. That's what "rebuilding" amounts to.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12

i agree, my personal preference is to build a solid,top of the line starting staff that's young and that we'd have together for 4 or 5 years similar to the Glavine,Maddux,Smoltz ERA in Atlanta

again,just my thinking,but i believe the Rays would give us a very good pitcher from amongst their stable of arms for an Ike Davis,they need some power and a first baseman....he may be a real force away from Citifield....if we could get a Hellickson or Moore as part of a deal for Ike would you do that?

i love the idea of having Niese,Wheeler,Harvey,and a Hellickson/Moore moving forward while dealing Dickey and David for as many prospects as we can get back....with that starting rotation we would be "in" every game,IMO

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12
i don't know if anyone particularly suggested that but i see mention of Niese being dealt (and a Post beat writer Ken Davidoff i believe suggested it in a total rebuild scenario) along with the news that Dickey is encouraged by negotiations with the Mets made me want to throw out my 2 cents regarding even the possibility of keeping RA and dealing Jon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12

and don't forget Joe Foy!!

we go back a long way watching this team but IMO we can't allow what's happened in the past eliminate options that we've got now

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/8/12
  • renafan
Uh who said either were being traded? RA they are just talking about "what if" they can't come to an agreement. What next? Also they just gave Niece that new contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • stearnsy12
"" i guess it's all rumors.........""
  • Reply to this Message