• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Why couldn't we get ANYTHING for Bay?
  • To:All
  • 11/8/12
  • anthony888
Come on now.... There HAD to be a GM willing to give up SOMETHING for Bay. We ARE paying his salary, aren't we?
(Unless I'm missing something... again. LOL)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • JoseJose
Maybe you are missing the fact that he hit .150 - the worst EVER for ANY Met. Not worth the bag that a bag of balls would come with.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Kranesback
Somebody may sign him to a minor league deal. I could see the Astros or Padres giving him a spring training invitation. Then again, with our luck, he'll probably end up hitting 20 HRs and batting .280 for the Giants.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545203.4 was deleted
  • 11/8/12
  • thebobymon

Some people cling tenaciously to anything, just to complain.

This is the best "day after" any Met fan has had in a long time.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • PrayedforBay
Let me ask you something, if he gets picked up by another team, how much money do you think they will pay him?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • mysticpiazza
I think the OP's question is fair. Bay was a huge albatross around our necks and I'm glad he's gone, but it's his salary that makes him untouchable. (and lack of production, obviously). Since the Mets are eating his salary, buyout, and bonus, I would have personally waited until ST to see what he had, if anything, left in the tank, and then considered a trade/buyout.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • PrayedforBay
No its not a fair point, because for you to think that Sandy Alderson didn't think of that, it is implying he is the dumbest person on the planet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • mysticpiazza
Well neither you nor I know what ultimately led to Sandy making the decision now vs. later, but I would hope that at some point he addresses that question. I think we can all agree that Bay needed to go, but until I see what happens next with the deferred money saved and what moves are made I'm going to be on the fence about paying the guy for the next few years vs. waiting out 2013 and dumpin' his rump in 2014.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • fargol

maybe we didn't GET anything because no one offered anything?

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/8/12
  • anthony888

This could go a few ways....

1) Wait until ST (as someone suggested), and hopefully Bay comes out swinging. At that point, if we're still willing to eat his salary, he may be worth a prospect for a team willing to give him a change of scenery.

2) Cut your losses now. Having Bay accept deferred comp, may not be an option if Bay has a halfway decent ST.

3) Free up some payroll NOW, by deferring salary, and allowing the FO to make a move or two or three.... during the off season.

I just feel that as bad as he was, there's always a team looking for an experiment. Look at Russell Martin. He would'nt have hit a lick at Citi, and didn't tear it up at Yankee Stadium either.

Edited 11/8/12   by  anthony888
Edited 11/8/12   by  anthony888
  • Reply to this Message