• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Does Sandy Finally Have Accountability?
  • To:All
  • 11/7/12
  • Oldfan
Now that Alderson has deferred Bay's contract and picked up payroll flexibilty, is he accountable for not putting a winner on the field in 2013?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545194.2 was deleted
  • 11/7/12
  • Oldfan

With so many applauding the move of deferring Bay's salary, IMO, it only makes sense if the Mets are in a position to win now.

I haven't seen all the details, but the way I see it, the Mets will have less to spend in 2013 and 2014 combined then if they paid the guy in 2013 and re-invested all of it in 2014.

Am I missing something?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • DFAB
SA will still be very limited in what he can do by the wilpons....NO way around that unfortunately.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • PrayedforBay

No because the Wilpon's wouldn't have let him do it last year. How do I know that? Because Wilpon released a statement when they released him.

''Jason is a great teammate, hard worker, standup guy, and true gentleman,'' Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon said. ''Like Jason, we had planned for the kind of production here that he enjoyed in Boston and Pittsburgh, where he established himself as one of the game's top players.''

• Reply to this Message
Message 545194.6 was deleted
  • 11/8/12
  • ExileMetsFan

There are WAY too many holes to expect a winner in 2013.

That said, the flexibility should be used to make some mid-term moves (as opposed to long or short term) so that the team can be compete in 2014.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"With so many applauding the move of deferring Bay's salary, IMO, it only makes sense if the Mets are in a position to win now."

Why? Did dropping Bay make the BP better?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Oldfan
Yes. I'm guessing the money they saved by not paying Bay this year will result in themgetting better players, including BP arms.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Probably the fact that as time goes by their financial picture improves and you can bet they feel that within 2 years their troubles will be over financially."

The lawsuit is no longer hanging over their heads, but that didn't seem to cause them to increase payroll this year.

What happens in 2 years that will change their big baseball ops losses into profits? I know nothing about the Wilpon financial picture-are they able to modify any of the loans or lease?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • AdrianMonk

Qualifications for Met Gm. .. Same as for the Yankees after taking away all reason and accountability.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • metsheart
"He is only as accountable as circumstances allow him to be. If he were cashman and didn't win the WS or at least get to it he is 100% accountable. With what he has inherited I say he is still 50% accountable and if he does put a winner on the field deserves a medal at this point"

A medal AND a key to the city.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • Oldfan

So he gets credit and no blame.

Sweet job

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/8/12
  • jgrangers2
Under these circumstances you can easily make that argument. Any time you have to cut payroll nearly in half, how can you expect to win?
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 545194.15 through 545194.16 were deleted
  • 11/8/12
  • metsheart
jimg023 said:
"He is only as accountable as circumstances allow him to be. If he were cashman and didn't win the WS or at least get to it he is 100% accountable. With what he has inherited I say he is still 50% accountable and if he does put a winner on the field deserves a medal at this point"

I agreed.

Where'd I say Alderson gets "credit and no blame"???
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/12
  • govmule72

"Now that Alderson has deferred Bay's contract and picked up payroll flexibilty, is he accountable for not putting a winner on the field in 2013?"

No the 100% failure rate will still be excused by many here.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/12
  • govmule72

"There are WAY too many holes to expect a winner in 2013."

Hasn't he already been GM for 2 seasons. How may before we get to complain? Five, six, seven?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/12
  • govmule72

"Yes. I'm guessing the money they saved by not paying Bay this year will result in themgetting better players, including BP arms."

...and you know what happens when Sandy works his magic on the pen.

• Reply to this Message