• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Just pay it all now
  • To:All
  • 11/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Bay is gone, that's good. But deferring his salary to future years (when we hope this will be a competitive team) doesn't make any sense.

Anyone else agree?

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • KB24NYM

You think Freddy has 16 million in CASH?

LOL

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Yes, I do.

Is this a real question? This was a baseball move to, I guess, lower payroll for this upcoming season.

Unless Alderson is trying to play with money to resign Wright, I don't understand the point.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • joemets22
I agree. We're not going to compete next year anyway. Just get it over with now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • archgraham
Maybe they struck a really smart deal like they did with Bobby Bonilla!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • metsheart
Say average person wants to refurnish home. They got $10+K to pay all at once? Or put it on credit card & pay $2K/ yr for next 5 yrs (about $200/ mo. w/ interest)?

Do most people pay 100% cash for new car? Or take loan & pay over time?

Deferring Bay's $$$ make sense now?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • joemets22

If they spend whatever they save this year along with the nothing they had earmarked to spend outside of that...no it doesn't make sense.

Let's say the payroll is the same next year because they spend whatever they save from Bay and nothing else. The're not saving next year and that's not going to be enough to fill all of our holes anyway. I'd rather this deferred money not be part of the payroll in years going forward when we might actually have a shot to compete.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • 4545_ajd

"If they spend whatever they save this year along with the nothing they had earmarked to spend outside of that...no it doesn't make sense."

But if they use that money they saved on Bay to add pieces and get at least a little excitement from the fan base they will have more to spend next year to make up for the deferred salary.

Plus they aren't paying interest on any of the money Bay will be getting so they do save some value that way since the money they pay him 4 years from now would not be worth as much as if it were paid to him today.

Edited 11/7/12   by  4545_ajd
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • metsheart
Does 2 good things:

1) Someone else will be playing LF 2013. Worth it all by itself!!

2) Allows them to sign David Wright:

*** Shows DW Mets serious about putting together better team. Which is what he wants to see before re-signing w/ Mets.

*** Frees up $$$ to sign DW. Wright's got at least 5 good yrs left in him IMO. AND Mets don't have anybody better near majors. Don't want to make another hole!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think Mets won't trade to fill holes now?

Edited 11/7/12   by  metsheart
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

I'm not sure I understand the point.

His salary was already calculated into the payroll, so that's not the issue (at least this year). Now, if the team decided to pay everything in one lump sum to just put this entire saga to bed, I'd get that. What I don't understand is stretching out the financial burden to a season in which this team may be ready to make a run, thus limiting the team at that point financially.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • 4545_ajd
Mets need to get fans back in the stands every ticket that is not bought this season is wasted money that can't be recouped, they can't jut throw away 2013.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545186.12 was deleted
  • 11/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

On this we agree... But there is no big agent FA that this team will be pursuing, and I would assume any savings would go to trying to sign Wright or Dickey.

Not sure how much his 16 million (depending on how much they defer), can get the team. Guess we'll find out.

• Reply to this Message
Message 545186.14 was deleted
  • 11/7/12
  • metsheart
Point is if you pay cash for major purchase all the way up to top of your budget no $$$ for anything else NOW. Spread it out over time & $$$ freed up for other things along the way.

So instead of $18+M on payroll for Bay 2013 now it's like $6M. Frees up $12M to spend NOW. Without adding to projected payroll. Can Mets get decent FA (BP arm?) for $12M? Or trade for player w/ bigger salary than what they send?

After 2013 Santana's $30M comes off payroll. 2014/ $30M - $6M = $24M to spend without increasing payroll from current level.

In grand scheme of things $6M/ yr not very much. Won't make the difference between Mets being able to compete or not 2014 & beyond.

Make sense now?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

..Yes, I get that. I don't think you understand my point.

What is the point of freeing up cash NOW is what I'm asking. THIS season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • dee31
Ya right just like Bonilla they will be paying Bay untill 2020. Arent they still paying Bonilla? lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • Oldfan

<<"Say average person wants to refurnish home. They got $10+K to pay all at once? Or put it on credit card & pay $2K/ yr for next 5 yrs (about $200/ mo. w/ interest)?

Do most people pay 100% cash for new car? Or take loan & pay over time?

Deferring Bay's $$$ make sense now?"

No!! It makes absolutely zero sense unless the Mets can compete for a championship this coming year. Otherwise, you pay the guy, let the youngsters play and begin a new chapter in 2014. Now, Bay's salary will be spead out for the next few years and prevent the Mets from spending 5 mil or so until 2018.

Brillant.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 545186.19 through 545186.20 were deleted