• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bottom line is, how much more can they spend this offseason?
  • To:All
  • 11/7/12
  • KB24NYM
Anyone have a beat on that? Is this just Freddy and Jeffy-boy saving some cash in 2012?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545184.2 was deleted
  • 11/7/12
  • KB24NYM
No. they say payments are deferred so they have more cash for this offseason
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • metsicle

ATMs only let you take out 500 dollars at a time I think.

So 500 dollars.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld

Do we actually know how much is getting deferred?

I'd rather they just eat the bullet this season since the team will likely be awful anyway.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • murphstates
Since they were already counting $19 million against this year's payroll (salary + buy out) I agree. Why not just eat it this year and move on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • murphstates
I can't imagine it's a big number and what's the point. It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul. They were already including his salary and buy out in this season's payroll so now it will just carry over into next season and beyond.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545184.8 was deleted
  • 11/7/12
  • Kranesback
Probably deferring a lot til next year when Johan comes off the books.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • murphstates
What are the terms? How do you know there is no interest? Why would the players union allow him to defer salary if it was favorable to ownership? They certainly never have before and it's a violation of the CBA to reduce the value of a contract.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Why would the players union allow him to defer salary if it was favorable to ownership? "

Because now he is a free agent and can get another salary from another team in addition to what the Mets are giving him which will make up for the loss in deferred value.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • AdrianMonk

It all will go to lining the Wilpon pockets.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545184.13 was deleted
  • 11/7/12
  • murphstates

I meant financially favorable. It may be favorable to the Mets from a cash flow standpoint, but it does not reduce the value of the contract or what he is owed.

"Both sides negotiated an early end to his contract. Major League Baseball’s union opposes any reduction in the value of a player’s contract, so Bay will get all of the $21 million he is owed from the team. Bay will receive a $16 million salary, a $3 million buyout and the $2 million that is left on a signing bonus. The money is being deferred and the Mets will spread out payments over the next couple of seasons."

So they saved some money this year and added money next year.

• Reply to this Message