• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Mets storm relief food drive Nov. 14th
  • To:All
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121105&content_id=40176284&vkey=news_nym&c_id=nym

"Mets to team with City Harvest for Sandy food drive"

NEW YORK -- In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the Mets and City Harvest will hold a food drive on Nov. 14 to benefit New Yorkers in need.

Fans can drop off their donations from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET at Citi Field's Hodges VIP entrance next to the team store. Those who donate 10 or more nonperishable items will receive a voucher redeemable for one pair of tickets to a select game in April 2013. Fans dropping off food may park in Lot G on 126th Street between the Right Field Gate and Roosevelt Avenue.

Donors will also receive 15 percent off select merchandise at the team store, valid only next Wednesday. Season-ticket holders who donate will receive a 20-percent discount at the store.

Among the most-needed items are canned fruit and vegetables, plastic jars of peanut butter, packages of hot or cold cereal and packages of macaroni and cheese. The drive will not accept unlabeled, expired or dented cans, any open packages, products that need to be refrigerated or homemade products."

Hope as many of you as possible will do your part for hungry NY storm victims.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • METMAINEAC

Hey, thats a good deal...and a win win.

Cue the disparaging Wilpon comments.

..and who drops off expired or open items????

• Reply to this Message
Message 545151.3 was deleted
  • 11/6/12
  • joemets22
That's some incentive. Free tickets to games they can't sell and 15% off overpriced merchandise nobody wants. I donated and didn't get anything back, and I'm still happier I didn't do it through them.

Edited 11/6/12   by  joemets22
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • thebobymon
14 minutes, you could do better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • thebobymon

>>..and who drops off expired or open items????<<

Those lines are long, and some people get hungry.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • joemets22
I know. I'm in decline.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • thebobymon
David, is that you?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart
Who drops off expired or open items? You'd be surprised what people do. Or maybe you wouldn't.

Really is win-win. I'll donate food at Citi Nov. 14. And get my free tix to a game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart
I donated to other relief efforts. But I'll do Mets food drive too. Even if no free tix I'd STILL do it.

So Mets do the right thing trying to aid victims & you STILL see no good here?

What's that say about YOU?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545151.11 was deleted
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart
Sigh. I know. Was hoping for better in storm tragedy aftermath.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545151.13 was deleted
  • 11/6/12
  • joemets22

Well I did the same, I donated without getting free tix. That really wasn't the point.

I don't think it's pure in it's sincerity from the Wilpons. It's hard to believe anything is. For example, if the team was good and demand was high I don't think they'd be giving away those same tickets. And I don't think the same people that had no problem leaving families without their savings in the scheme really have a problem seeing innocent people in trouble.

I have and will donate what's feasible for me...but not through them.

Edited 11/6/12   by  joemets22
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart
"if the team was good and demand was high I don't think they'd be giving away those same tickets"

Wrong.

Mets have had a coat drive every yr around Xmas for yrs & yrs. Even 2006. Donate a coat get pair of tix. Donated many coats over the yrs.

If Mets DIDN'T do something to help storm victims you'd be wailing "Wilpon's doing nothing for victims!" Is there a way Wilpon can EVER do the right thing IYO???
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545151.16 was deleted
  • 11/6/12
  • bbyjean616
You'd be surprised. When there is incentive to donate, people will try anything. Ive been working with charities for a decade. My old station did a food drive last year and whoever donated the most by weight would get backstage passes to a country show. We got stale bread from other food pantries, water jugs that were refilled with hose water and the caps taped, and other mind boggling nonsense. I doubt Mets tickets are worth that sort of underhanded nonsense but people will sink to the bottom of a pond for free stuff
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • johnyringo

That's may be true but as you say, it's hardly relevant to what the Wilpons are doing for storm relief.

And overall they are charitable people. The storm has brung out the best in everybody and it's a reminder that the Wilpons arent all bad.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • bbyjean616
Read what I replied to Johnny. Maniac asked who would bring expired food to a food drive. I answered
  • Reply to this Message