• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Ollie Perez gets new contract
  • To:All
  • 11/5/12
  • ny_mess

Wow... I didn't even realize he had a pretty good season with Mariners... Gets rewarded with new one year deal... What happened to this guy?? sick mental case....

h ttp://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8596999/oliver-perez-stays-seattle-mariners-15-million

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • metsicle

Meh, his ERA was good, but his peripherals weren't so great. 3 walks per 9 IP for a reliever isn't very good. 8.2 hits per 9 isn't very good for a reliever either. It was also in 30 IP in the majors. In his 31 AAA innings he was pretty awful.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • PrayedforBay
I pointed this out late in the season that he was having a good year somehow. Really the biggest difference I can see is that he has a fastball again.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • ny_mess
So what happened to him? How did he all of sudden got his fastball back??? Was it hunger for new contract?? The difference between before big contract and after big contract was shocking..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • fargol
Well, his WHIP really wasn't bad at all. 1.25 is sort of respectable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • wrghtknght
It's called "he got away from Warthen".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • JamesHetfi3ld
Peripherals are immensely improved from where they were when he was here... Would be one of the better relievers here at this point, as sad as that is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • 86kid
After pocketing $36 million from Fred, for doing absolutely nothing, I guess he could afford to take only a 1.5 million dollar deal and not worry about his car payments... lol

Edited 11/5/12   by  86kid
Edited 11/5/12   by  86kid
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • alfolerud
I agree with your assessment. I hope you are fair and apply the same criteria when judging Francisco.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 545143.10 was deleted
  • 11/6/12
  • JoseJose

"It's called "he got away from Warthen"

No way dude. He was a big part of Delgado's Buena Vista Social Club that got "bored with winning". Facts are Omar made him rich based only on affirmative action, he did not train the year of the World Baseball Classic and got hurt because of that, and like the other social club members had no desire to rehab/train and improve himself. The apathy of Omar/Willy's team was astounding, they had by far more talent than other teams, but preferred hand jiving dances and choking to any type of desire to win. Ollie is a posterboy for that era.

Edited 11/6/12   by  JoseJose
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • johnyringo

He cares enough to be good again...and has some god given talent…this combination allows him to pitch well again…

Ist BB great!!!!!

Care a lot and get a huge contract….

Then care so little that you get cut…this will allow you to start caring again and get another contract to add on top of the first one you stole!!!

And people here feel bad for the poor poor players…

I hate BB

• Reply to this Message
Message 545143.13 was deleted
  • 11/6/12
  • PrayedforBay
Say what you will about Warthen - even though anything you say will be based on no factual information - he is not responsible for Perez dropping 7-8 MPH on his fastball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • brianinwi
What do you think the odds are that the Mariners get the value they're hoping for out of this contract? I'm thinking 60-40 against.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • ExileMetsFan

"Well, his WHIP really wasn't bad at all. 1.25 is sort of respectable.
"

It's very respectable.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • JoseJose
Yep - I am no Wharthe fan, but Ollie was a quitter/loser/apathetic head case.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • frkaz911
It's not surprising, just another case of a change of scenery helping a player. We usually don't see the positive end of that, since most guys simply can't handle playing in New York. One exception that comes to mind is Lenny Randle, who excelled after he was removed from his troubles in Texas. Unfortunately for us, it only lasted one season.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • JoseJose
It is NOT a case of a change of scenery helping. Ollie refused to train in the offseason and got hurt because of it, then rehabbed with all the zeal of a dead newt. He took the ridiculous, undeserved affirmative action money Omar gave him and quit on us. He was a card-carrying Buena Vista Social Club member.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/7/12
  • Haldane
In some cases it isn't a matter of "can't handle playing in New York", it's a matter of don't like playing in New York. For whatever reason, the Wilpons have made this team a destination that no one wants.
  • Reply to this Message