• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Too many pitchers locked into the rotation.
  • To:All
  • 11/5/12
  • AdrianMonk

As of now, the rotation is Santana, Dickey, Niese, Harvey and Gee. Having Wheeler or some other prospect in there would make the season look more promising. Someone needs to be moved, and I'd rather it not be Dickey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
Not to mention we have to make room for Pelfrey.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • subwayshea

is pelf coming back? as for the origional post it never hurts to have too much good pitching! I would rather have a few extra starters in the pen for long men or waiting for injuries, Harvery was a must see last year. Made me tune in for his starts kids got a cannon for an arm.

I would go with this rotation for now:
1. santana
2. dickey
3. niese
4. harvey
5. gee

each one give a different look for a team every night. It use to drive me nuts when the mets had cone and saberhagen back to back, they had similar stuff.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • 4545_ajd
Honestly if he wants to come back for a low risk incentive laden deal, I would have no problem letting him compete for a job.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/5/12
  • Oldfan
There's no way Wheeler starts the season in the Mets rotation, unless they trade Dickey and have an injury or 2 in ST.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • alfolerud
How does Pelfrey competing for a job translate into us having to trade a pitcher to make room for him?
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/6/12
  • goetzcougar34
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH PITCHING. At least 2 of those guys will go down with injuries during the season, the fact that we can replace them is our ONLY strength.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • JoseJose
Pelfrey and Gee will probably not be effective. Injuries to throwing shoulderrs usually mean big trouble. And Pelfrey was awful before that. As per John Maine, we should not expect much from either.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • thebobymon
I don't think Gee's injury was pitching related.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • saztastic2012
Either Dickey or neise will be traded for an impact Bat.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • thebobymon
Ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • saztastic2012
Well time will tell.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • 4545_ajd

"How does Pelfrey competing for a job translate into us having to trade a pitcher to make room for him? "

I was being facetious in my first post.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart

2012 projected rotation was:

Santana (placed on DL July 21 & out for season Aug 24. 15.63 ERA in last 5 starts)
Dickey
Niese
Gee (out for season July 10 -- pitched w/ numb arm from early on)
Young
Pelfrey (out for season April 24)

How many teams would have winning record w/ 3 of 6 projected starters out/ trying to pitch injured for 1/2 season or more??

Yankees traded (C) Montero for (SP) Pinero. Pinero out for season right off the bat. Mo out for season from early on. Yanks made it to playoffs. Why? Pitching depth!!

Better to have more pitching than you need. No team wins without SP & BP depth!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart
"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH PITCHING. At least 2 of those guys will go down with injuries during the season, the fact that we can replace them is our ONLY strength"

Yup.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsheart

"I don't think Gee's injury was pitching related"

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/12/injury-breakdown-an-inside-look-at-dillon-gees-injury/

"New York Mets’ 26-year-old right-hander, Dillon Gee, had surgery this week to break up a blood clot in his pitching shoulder. The clot was discovered with testing on Monday after Gee complained of numbness in his fingers on Sunday, one day after a winning performance against the Cubs. The clot, referred to as a thrombus in medical terminology, was broken up using a catheter, but it has been reported that Gee will undergo a more involved procedure tomorrow to repair damage to the involved artery in order to prevent recurrence. It is likely he will miss the remainder of the season.

Gee’s injury recalls that suffered by J.R. Richard of the Houston Astros, whose complaints went unheeded until he suffered a stroke in 1980, which was followed by emergency surgery to remove a life threatening clot in his neck. The stroke essentially ended Richard’s career."

"Dillon Gee should do very well following surgery but will have to take it easy for a bit. His condition highlights the importance of taking quick action when one experiences the onset of symptoms and the need for accuracy in diagnosis."

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • viper99

There is no harm in having too many starters. Lets not forget that last year we lost Pelfrey, Santana and Gee.

When Wheeler is ready, Gee will be the one moving to the BP unless the Mets have traded Dickey already.

Hopefully Dickey gets signed to an extension and stays with the Mets.

Dickey, Harvey, Niese, Wheeler, Gee/Mejia/Familia/Fullmer after 2013 is nothing to sneeze at.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • johnyringo
Pelf can get that with other teams so why would he want it from the Mets?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • 4545_ajd

"Pelf can get that with other teams so why would he want it from the Mets? "

Familiarity, not having to move his family to another city, relationships he has with Met players and staff.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/6/12
  • metsicle
Wheeler won't start the year with the Mets. If come June/July he proves he's ready, and our starting 5 are still healthy & productive, then you take Gee and move him to the pen.
  • Reply to this Message