• Welcome Guest
New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Baxter is nice pinch hitter
  • To:All
  • 5/12/12
  • spaceship22
This guy continues to come in a get those nice pinch hits. It would be nice to see him get some starts.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/12/12
  • shawnfrompa
Very impressed with Bax so far! Especially that he had TWO doubles in one-at-bat today. The ball down the left field line clearly hit chalk!

Edited 5/12/12   by  shawnfrompa
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/12/12
  • vbch
He is hitting way better than I expected. He is pretty good defensively as well and has pretty good speed. Certainly a nice bench player.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/12/12
  • spaceship22
I agree they showed a replay but it looked like it nipped the chalk. It would have been nice if they had the zoom in freeze cam the mets use.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/12/12
  • edmet
yeah, but what happens when bay is eady. who goes down or out? baxter, niewenhauss,hairston,bay? i like bay, but on merit it should be bay. big headache for sandy. right now i think baxter would be odd man out till sept or unless sandy can trade bay. anyone know isf baxter has options? he plays well in the field, runs well. a keeper i hope sandy figures it out.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 531262.6 was deleted
  • 5/12/12
  • vbch

Maybe they will release Hairston. They are stuck with Bay because of the contract. Kirk should stay and continue to play somewhere in the OF. Baxter has been a good pinch hitter and gives them some speed, athleticism and solid defense. The only thing with Baxter is that he has pretty much been a .235-.250 hitter for most of his MLB career. Hairston will hit one out every now and then but doesn't hit for a high average or play great defense. They may just send Kirk down but it really should come down to Baxter or Hairston. By the time they have to make a decision, someone may need to go to the DL which would allow them some time to think it over.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/baxtemi01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hairssc01.shtml

• Reply to this Message
  • 5/12/12
  • reinman43
If those guys are producing when Bay comes back he has to produce right away, 2 plus seasons of underperforming, injurys and long dl stints is enough. He needs to start hitting yesterday.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5/13/12
  • edmet
i think hairston has been productive for the mets in his role. i suspect baxter may go to AAA until sandy can trade bay, or sept callups. bay seems a nice fellow and a good teammate, but a fresh start somewhere else would be good for him. someone on this board previously suggested a trade to seattle for a catcher, miguel olivo i think. that is bays part of the country. nickeas has been doing a good job, but that might make sense if jack z. would go for it. we would have to eat a lot of dough.
  • Reply to this Message