New York Mets

Welcome to the New York Mets.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Brian Schneider is useless
  • To:All
  • 8/10/08
  • weezybaby1

Calls horrible games, can't hit, and his defense is nonexistant

Schneider negates Church in the Milledge trade, so in reality Omar made a bad trade

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • 58pwrhtr
and his game calling today was awful to boot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan

"Game calling" is a nonsense used to justify catchers that can't hit. There's no objective way to measure game-calling at all. It's not a science, it's a basbeall cliche.

There's no doubt that some catchers call better games than others though measuring the effect is impossible.

Edited 8/10/08   by  malazan
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • theamazinz
he seems to be a really good defensive catcher who can throw runners out, something we havent had in a long time...but your right, this guy can't hit a lick, but it's not like the Mets didn't know he was a terrible hitter, look at his career numbers.....i think Castro should get the majority of the starts, but we all know when a player that isn't used to playing everyday does play everyday, they sometimes get exposed....so who knows
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • shelbygt

Good post

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan
i THINK IS DEFENSE IS PRETTY GOOD, there's nothing i have seen from him calling games to support the notion thta he calls a great game
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • theamazinz
yeah...i really don't see how you measure how well a catcher calls a game, theres really no way to....can't measure it on overall success of the pitcher, theres too many other factors
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan

Thankyou, it's baseball thing, used by baseball people talking baseball, one person says it, people hear it, and then repeat it and so on, it's like the football assumption that a QB out of college with a big arm will have trouble thropwing short routes.

Nonsense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan

Exactly, too many variables. If a pitcher happens to be succesful with a catcher, he's naturally going to say "Guy calls a great game" - how come you NEVER hear, "Calls a bad game"?

If good game callers can really be spotted, then so can bad ones.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 8/10/08
  • bayareamet
there are no good free agent catchers next offseason...we might be stuck with brian for 1 more year
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan
For sure. They like him anyway. Gotta hope melon head can stay healthy and split time.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 371211.12 through 371211.13 were deleted
  • 8/10/08
  • 86kid

>>>"Schneider negates Church in the Milledge trade, so in reality Omar made a bad trade"<<<

I didn't agree with the trade - mainly because I felt the Mets sold too low, too soon, and also made the trade for over-hyped reasons.

I said at the time that I felt Milledge would grow into a star player, while Church and Scneider wouldnn't even be in Met uniforms two years from now. I still believe that could be the case. One never knows, but that is my guess.

To this point, Milledge is not having a good year, but he is a pup, so we couldn't have expected him to have a break out year in his first full season. Like I said, he is a pup that still has to mature.

While nobody could have predicted the injuries that happened to Church, GM's deals that go bad based on injuries, in the eyes of most people still counts as grounds to bash a GM. To this point, Church has been a bust because he can't stay on the field.

Schneider has also missed a lot of games injured, and has mostly turned out to be more of a part time player than was sold to us when the trade was made.

Right now, at best, this trade has been a wash. In the long run, still think it will turn out to be move the Mets wish they had considered longer.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • bayareamet

well i think omar has learned a lot from his mistakes of letting young kids go for the expense of "win now"

this deadline...he hasn't even dared to trade a single prospect and some of our young kids are having impacts on the club.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan
I never liked the trade.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • 86kid

>>>"well i think omar has learned a lot from his mistakes of letting young kids go for the expense of "win now" this deadline...he hasn't even dared to trade a single prospect and some of our young kids are having impacts on the club."<<<

It would certainly seem as though Omar is now very gun shy about the prospects - and he should be given that our system could have afforded to lose several more key guys in 'win now" deals for soon-to-be free agents.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • 86kid

>>>"I never liked the trade."<<<

You may dislike it even more in the next several years if things pan out the way I speculate they might.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • malazan
Long term was the reason i didn't like it. Too soon to give up on such a talented player with a few issues, sold low. His "issues" were totally overblown in any case, and the club did not protect him they left him out to dry.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/10/08
  • 86kid

>>>"Long term was the reason i didn't like it. Too soon to give up on such a talented player with a few issues, sold low. His "issues" were totally overblown in any case, and the club did not protect him they left him out to dry."<<<

I couldn't agree more.

• Reply to this Message