• Welcome Guest
Seattle Mariners

Welcome to the Seattle Mariners.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Rumor: Looks like we got out wish....Mike Sta...I mean Morse
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13
  • FelixForever34

If this is true, then it looks like "Growth" for young players and then Think about the "other Mike" when he hits Arb.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/291692003232731136

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • xtouristx
Okay, now I'm officially not happy with Jack Z. This is the most moronic trade the Mariners have made since the Bedard deal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • seatown28
Agreed this trade is awful. Jaso for one year of Morse.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • rte29

Absolutely awful trade. Jaso was the best Mariners hitter last year and he plays catcher, which the Mariners already had issues with and now where do we go? No way Zunino is ready.

Now we have a slew of 1b/DH/awful left fielders all because Jack is terrified of finishing last in baseball in offense. Why did the A's even get involved? Why couldn't we just give the Nats a bullpen arm or whatever?

Makes no sense.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • xtouristx
And Jaso was the best overall hitter on the Mariners last year. Un-f'ing-believable.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jimmy65274
ok i get that you will miss jaso....but come on, micheal morse is a beast for cheap. If healthy for a full season he is easly a 30 hr, 100 rbi, and 290 plus avg. Compare those numbers to jaso's numbers last year, they dont come close to those. And as far as were we go for catching im sure z is not done, smoke is next to go for a catcher.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • xtouristx

Mike Morse, for one year, to the Mariners for their best overall hitter from 2012, one that could play catcher and hit left-handed. Yeah, great deal. Except for the fact that it's terrible.

Morse will never hit 30 homeruns again.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • wazzujon

I dont understand this AT ALL!!!!! So Montero will be our everyday C? who backs him up as we have gotten rid of olivo and now jaso? Who plays 1b? Smoak, Morales, Morse, Carp? I imagine one will be 1b and the other dh, but we added another to the log jam and created a hole. Also Morse is gone next year as is Morales. So we traded away a very good YOUNG catcher for 1 year of Morse plus the 1 year with Morales. So whats going to happen in 2014 when they both leave for FA? Smoak has no more options left so are we just going to cut him free? What value does Smoak have? I really dont understand this move at all. I think it created more issues then it fixed.

Wait a sec I forget about. He will be our DH. HMMMM makes it even more crowded. I looked on the Seattle depth chart. NOONE for catcher behind Montero. WOW! I guess they think Zuni is ready.

Edited 1/16/13   by  wazzujon
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • rte29

He is NOT a 30 homerun hitter, especially in Safeco. He's not a 100 RBI guy either since RBI's are completely indicative of people getting on in front of him. He's just a so-so right handed hitting DH. We didn't really need him or at the very least we didn't need him at the cost of our best hitter.

I have a feeling Smoak will get traded for nothing soon and we'll either sign or trade an awful catcher to replace Jaso.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • richmindc

boy your GM ripped us off
you give up a AAAA catcher for a legit slugger and a chanc eto sign him to a long term contract and we get a low prospect who we already traded once

Horrible trade (for us) great for you

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • poppintheglove

I am OKAY with this, DEPENDING on the ptbnl/prospect that the Nats get if either are from the Mariners.

1) Seattle can sign Morse to an extension

2) Zunino will be in the bigs next year as the starting catcher, leaving Jaso as a backup. Unless Montero and Zunino turn out to be awful hitters (which won't happen), Jaso's bat would only be in the lineup 2 out of every 5 games, which would be a waste.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • poppintheglove

Apparently, the ptbnl and prospect are from the Athletics. I like this deal.

Not to mention, I'm sure Seattle will sign/trade for a defensive minded catcher.

EDIT ON ABOVE POST: It will be a good move in my opinion IF Morse is signed to an extension.

I'm pretty sure that Smoak will be gone. Probably for a catcher.

Edited 1/16/13   by  poppintheglove
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • rte29
Congratulations on not understanding baseball.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FelixForever34

With the Previous Moves....I think this says Morse is in the Outfield.

I think the Mariners got the short end of the Trade.

The Nationals got the better end of the Deal, with Oakland in 2nd.
I keep hoping the Mariners got some kind of prospect in the deal to balance it all out (I know its wishful thinking at this point)

And its evident the Mariners will sign some veteran catcher as a backup and a placeholder for Zunino when he is ready in June-Sept

Edited 1/16/13   by  FelixForever34
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • xtouristx
Morse with his -20.4 UZR/150 in LF and -9.3 UZR/150 in RF.... Morse should not see the Outfield at all. I think I'd be more confident in Peguero's fielding abilities at this point.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • FelixForever34

Not saying I like it, but it sure looks like he is gonna spend at least 40+ games out there (unless Smoak ends up in AAA).

Looking at Wedge's history of type of players he loves..... Getting drunk on Edgar's Mescal in Left Field could be amusing this year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • richmindc
I see Seattle has its share of rude nitwits
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • poppintheglove
Morse will probably play LF against righties with Gutierrez in CF, Saunders in RF and Ibanez at DH; he'll DH against lefties with Saunders - Gutierrez - Wells in the outfield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • xtouristx
Nope. Just people who are mad that the Mariners just got fleeced.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • richmindc

actually we got fleeced
we gave up the heart and soul of our 2011 offense and the catalyst for our 2012 ofensive wake up for a low A pitcher that we once traded and started 2012 0-7 at LOW A

What did you give up a AAAA catcher?

We hate losing Mikey Mo because he was the clubhouse leader w eexpecte dto get a major league lefty reliever plus a A or AA prospect for him

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
The Mariners are pathetic
Latest by Gibbo71 - Apr-20
Optimism
Latest by urbanman - Apr-20
M's vs Marlins Game Thread 4.20.14
Latest by XXXXXXXXXXX - Apr-20
Miami Crowd
Latest by cougardave - Apr-20
M's vs Miami Game Thread 4.19.14
Latest by Northpaw - Apr-20
honouring Zee
Latest by benvoulin - Apr-20
How has Robbie Cano been working out for you guys?
Latest by suprjeff - Apr-20
I dont understand
Latest by felix4cy - Apr-20
Julio Morban
Latest by felix4cy - Apr-20
Enter the *uck zone
Latest by basewars4 - Apr-20