• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Makes me think of Ryan Vogelsong
  • To:All
  • 1/16/13

Hey All,

A friend told me about a saying he had heard that he really liked...

"It's not where you end up...It's what you had to overcome to get there."

I really liked it too.

And while watching the World Series Film on MLB Network...seeing Ryan Vogelsong's segment...it made me think of that saying again. I've never seen a player overcome more than Vogelsong.

What a great story. What a Giant Story.

I feel blessed to have the opportunity to see it unfold.

LoneStar

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13

I just think the whole story of the 2012 team was so incredible and Vogelsong was one of the big pieces in that story.

Then you could mention Scutaro who never really got his dues and had been toiling his butt off for many years (including in the minors before he even got to the show - the documentary - A Player To Be Named Later perfectly exemplifies the kind of drive he must have had and shows the difficulties that he faced to even make it to the show).

Then of course Zito a guy who lets be honest, just about every single fan detested for a good 5 years and figured would never to amount to anything after his A's days. He then keeps the team afloat by twirling a gem in game 5 of the NLCS to send games 6&7 back home. Then goes up against Verlander in the ultimate David VS Goliath billing in game one of the world series and not only out pitches him, gets an RBI off him to add salt to the Tigers wounds.

Then of course Buster coming back so successfully from his 2011 injury.

Also Blanco who was picked up off the scrap heap who was such a big piece, defensively at any rate making some absolute sensational catches at crucial times.

Definitely a team for the ages that's for sure.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
He was masterful in the World Series. I was afraid what was going to happen after he had that rocky month in September. But it was amazing to see him get back to his old form, and for the world instead of just for those following the Giants. To me, he had to be the biggest story of the team in 2012.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148476.4 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
Buster has always been amazing. But to come back from where Ryan was in his career, and then to pretty much own the pitching, it was the best story.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13

Hey P_S,

Nice adds to the thread.

Throw in the 6 consecutive wins in elimination games, and you're right...the entire 2012 team reflects the saying/quote I shared.

Too bad "We Shall Overcome" is already taken...it would've been a great team slogan for 2013.

LoneStar

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
I think Zito's story while not as dramatic was as much a key element in the Giants success as Mr. Volgelsong.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 148476.8 through 148476.9 were deleted
  • 1/17/13

Hey NB,

I don't view Zito as having overcome any great external challenges...it would appear that Zito simply needs to be playing for his next contract in order for him to perform at high levels.

I don't know any other way to explain his marked improvement, especially in terms of his consistency, in year 6 of a contract with 7 guaranteed years.

The great news? Zito will be just as motivated this year. If he goes back into the tank in 2013, he won't be likely to score his $18M team option for 2014...and no other franchise is going to be willing to give him that kind of dough.

LoneStar

• Reply to this Message
Message 148476.11 was deleted
  • 1/17/13

Great examples of how special '12 was.

And don't forget about Melky getting nabbed. That was a big blow but the team was able to rise above it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13

Hey NineBuck,

Thanks for posting that ESPN article about Zito. Good read.

-whit

• Reply to this Message
Message 148476.14 was deleted