• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• They Left Their Hearts at Coogan’s Bluff
Messages 148457.1 through 148457.2 were deleted
  • 1/15/13
Good read, thanks for the links and other related articles from those two. A nice way to start the morning, with a little new Giant info, even if some of it is from a couple of years ago
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
Killer articles, thanks NB.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148457.5 was deleted
  • 1/18/13

I'm part of the New York Giants Preservation Society mentioned in article, actually the one quoted. You would be surprised how many older fans remain loyal to the Giants here in NY. I don't think people in SF truly understand what the Giants brass does by bringing the trophy back to its birthplace. Some of my fellow fans claim, the Giants are only away on vacation in California! Just know that us fans in NY salute you fans and the Giants organization as well. The Dodgers would never do this and if they tried very few would attend. The Dodgers leaving Brooklyn caused a totally different scar for their fans than the Giants leaving for the bay.

We were lucky enough to be honored last June on the field during NY Giants Night at At&T Park. That night as we were leaving the field, Peter Magowan told us to follow him despite security telling us to exit the field by the first base dugout. What to do? I told myself that Mr. Magowan was the past "boss" and decided that the best thing to do was to follow him. He led us through the dugout, and as I was shaking Bruce Bochy and Hector Sanchez's hands, he repeatly told us to keep walking. Our walk ended at the Giants Clubhouse when Mr. Magowan told us someone would like to say hello to us. Sitting in Mike Murphy's chair was the greatest player ever................Willie Mays! We chatted for a few minutes and he signed baseballs for us.

Just know that Saturday we are borrowing the trophy for a few hours but we promise to give it back!! Yes, you can go home again and the Giants are always welcome back to NY, especially as World Sertes Champions!!! AGAIN!!!-Gary

Edited 1/18/13   by  g-money101196
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148457.7 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
BTW, We have an official website, Facebook Page, and Yahoo page as well. I can't provide links as per the Message Board Guidelines but just type in New York Giants Preservation Society and the aforementioned names. Great stuff on your team's past as well as any pertinent SF Giants stuff of today. I was not alive when the Giants moved so my team has always been the SF Giants going on 44 years now and the last 2/3 seasons has made it all worth it!! All Giants fans are always welcome and encouraged. Love to have you aboard!! Needless to say can't wait for Saturday morning and the Trophy!-Gary

Edited 1/18/13   by  g-money101196
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
good read, maybe ill make a trip out for the yankees series in sept...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
Very cool post, I salute you and all your members
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148457.11 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
Ziegel was a wonderful writer! He would have been there no doubt.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13

Hey g-m101196,

Thank you for that wonderful post. And if you want to post links to your groups sites, go right ahead. The moderators are not nearly as tough on the practice now...especially if the link is to a not-for-pay Giants fan site.

LoneStar

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
I just "liked"...small page yet, but will probably get bigger and better.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
Very cool story, thanks for sharing that as well as staying loyal all these years!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13

Thanks so much!! We are expecting roughly 75 people this morning (Saturday). U should hear their stories!! Ok here is a quick one from me. My friend and I decide to go in 1978 to Phillies Giants games in Philadelphia from Long Island, NY. He uses his dad's credit cards and we decide to stay at Giants hotel for $75 dollars a night. After game a Giants win, Ed Whitson gets in elevator and is pretty much sauced. He gets off wrong floor and tries to get his key in wrong door. We help him to his room and he asks us where he could get some chicken in his southern drawl. He then gives us some bucks to get it for him after starting a tirade over McCovey and Blue's treatment on team due to their skin color. We get him his chicken and then go to bed.

Next morning we see Tom Griffen and a few other Giants at breakfast and decide to sit with Lindsey Nelson and Jim Davenport. Nelson easily spotted with a wild sports jacket and Davenport was the 3rd base coach. Jim asked us if we stayed in hotel and when we told him the price he said he had an extra bed in his room that we could have used and that we could use it tonight if we were going to the game. My friend and I looked at each other and said, "Will take it". Jim then gave us tickets. Hung out and then gave Dennis Littlejohn a ride to Vets Stadium. After game (another Giants win) hung by bus, and made Popeye arms sign to Johnnie LeMaster and saw Mike Ivie who was going through depression and looked lost. We then met Jim and used the other bed in his room (1970 and today are two different eras, so it was ok and normal back then). While in room we were watching highlights of the game and stated to each other that our Oriole friends at home don't share a room with an Orioles coach.

Jim offered us tickets for the last game of the series on a Sunday. Bob Knepper had found God that year and was awful so we decided to not press our luck and so we headed home. Giants did lose 7-0. What a weekend!!

Anway he is site and offshoots
http://newyorkgiantspreservationsociety.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-York-Giants-Preservation-Society-BASEBALL/160353950762500

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NYBGIANTS/

Stop by and check us out if you are bored! Will have much more to say and see after Saturday!! Great weekend to all!

Edited 1/19/13   by  g-money101196
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/19/13

BTW, this is my start with SF Giants!! Written last year on our site

WHY I AM THE WAY I AM
My dad was Louis, or just Louie as his firends called him. Family man, librarian at the NY Public Library for over 40 years, father, Giants Fan. Nobody, and I mean nobody ever said a bad word about the guy. Not a day goes by when I don’t think of him. He was always upbeat with an infectious smile that stayed with him even as cancer ravaged his body. Nobody ever said a bad word about him, the testament to his greatness. He loved my mom, loved his 3 boys, and worshipped the ground of his 3 granddaughters (his girlies, my daughters) and his grandson.

Then there were the Giants. His love of the NY Giants somehow continued when the orange and black moved to San Francisco. I, wanting to be like him, started following the SF Giants in 1969. Up until 2010, I claimed it was the only wrong thing my father ever did. That all changed of course when Nelson Cruz swung and missed on a Brian Wilson pitch on November 1st, 2010. It was the most compelling moment of my sports life as a fan. Forty-two years I waited, forty-two years!! In one night, all the hurt and pain was suddenly gone. My only remorse is that “Sweet Lou” wasn’t around to savor it with me as he passed in 2003. I wish we could have talked about it, laughed about it and reminisced about it. When the World Series Trophy Tour stopped in Manhattan in January 2011, he surely would have treasured the moment as I did with my wife and two of my daughters, my other at college at the time. To think he would have met and shook hands with his idol Willie Mays. What a story that would have been!!

I became associated with the New York Giants because of my love and admiration for this man. Growing up I would hear him say things that would just pop out of the air for no apparent rhyme or reason. There would be the names that he would spew. Alvin “Blacky” Dark, Monte I“rrrrrrrrr”vin, whom he called at times the “Orange Cutie” (evidently Monte Irvin’s nickname) Bobby Thomson, “The Flying Scot”, Sal “The Barber” Maglie, Bill “The Cricket” Rigney, and just plain “Willie”, no need for any other name as I knew who he meant. Then there were the little sayings, The old “PG’s”, “The June Swoon”, and as Frankie Frisch would say, “Oh those bases on balls”. Occasionally he would sing the Giants Theme Song, “We’re calling all fans, all you Giants ballfans, come watch the home-team going places, round those bases”. He in fact once wrote a letter to the SF Giants asking them for the recording, unfortunately to no avail. Then there was his mimicking Mel Ott’s leg lift, and Hoyt Wilhelm’s grip, legendary!
Dad would often tell me how the fans had to leave the stadium through the center field gate which meant walking on the field. He told me that he was once spiked by Johnny Beradino near the second base bag. He would also see doubleheaders often going from the Polo Grounds to Yankee Stadium (or the other way around, not sure) via the Macombs Dam Bridge to see both the football and baseball Giants on the same Sunday afternoon.
My dad left me and his family way too early. When the Giants finally won in 2010, I planted a little World Series Flag by his grave. It still waves proudly there today. I needed him to know his impact on me and how “we” finally did it. I miss the many times, even as an adult when he would say to me after I was forlorn over a loss, “What are you worried about? Do they worry about you?” Although I am now somehow middle aged, I still hope I can be half the man he was. There were the Giants from the Polo Grounds, the Giants in San Francisco, and all the legendary players that donned the Giants uniform in both places. For my money though, my dad, Louis, was the greatest Giant of them all! Happy Father’s Day to you all! By the way, 2012 flag waves by its sister flag proudly!!-Gary

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/19/13

Philadelphia holds some GIANT memories for me. The first baseball game I ever saw was in the old Connie Mack Stadium, in Philly, July 3, 1960. Giants Vs Phillies. I was 9. My father would be damned if my first game was going to be the Yankees! We took the train down from our north Jersey home. Willie went 4 for 4, with a HR and SB and the Giants won, 11-5.

Many years later, I saw one of my most memorable games at the Vet, in Philly. July 7, 1979. The great Mike Schmidt hit 3 home runs but Mike Ivie hit 2 and Jack Clark added a go ahead two run shot in the 7th and the Giants won, 8-6.

Fast forward again, this time to 2001, when I started an annual tradition of bringing my daughter down to Philly to see the Giants. Saw JT Snow win a game with a bases loaded triple on a bloop down the left field line, butchered by none other than Pat Burrell!

• Reply to this Message
Message 148457.19 was deleted
  • 1/19/13
Great story. This is a little off the subject, but I was fortunate enough to see one of Willie McCovey's last homers at the "stick ( I was so young I don't remember which game), but my clearest memory was when Mike "Poison" Ivie came to the plate. I think this was against the Dodgers. We used to get reserve seats behind the plate, but this time around we got Uecker seats in the upper deck behind third base, so pretty much our view of the field was totally lengthwise. It so happened that Ivie hit a rope dead to right field for a homer. Being used to sitting behind the plate or watching on T.V. I always see homers from near to far. This was the first time seeing a homer end-to-end, perfectly right to left, parallel to my view. I was amazed at the power and distance it had to travel to leave the field. I was in awe. I think the Giants won in extra innings. Maybe some of you guys remembered that game as well.
  • Reply to this Message