• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• My Bonds/Media/HOF Rant
  • To:All
  • 1/10/13

For those interested (yes, shameless blog promotion alert)...

http: //theymostdecidedlyaregiants.wordpress.com

• Reply to this Message
Message 148416.2 was deleted
  • 1/11/13

They really need to change the voting process. They should have members of the Hall themselves vote. Sportswriters are angry and jealous people with huge egos.

I talked to a couple of Cubs fans at Spring Training last season and they told me that Sosa used to be an absolute <asshole in the clubhouse, but was so popular due to his kindness to the media. To them, it's not whether you cheated or not or how good you are, it's how you treat them because they think they're so special.

Bonds should've won the MVP in 2000, but everyone knew that Bonds despised Kent, thus Kent won the MVP I think unanimously.

I've said my opinion about Bonds before, but I truly think he would've gotten a much higher vote count had be treated the media differently.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 148416.4 through 148416.6 were deleted
  • 1/11/13
Awesome work! There is an anti joe buck page on facebook that is pretty cool but I beleive it is time for a Verducci page now! Hopefully someone with more creativity and drive than I will get going on it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13

There was a brief time when many sports writers would not have voted for Muhammad Ali into a boxing hall of fame if given the chance. Because he dodged the draft.

A hall without a Bonds or an Ali are not fit for the faithful to worship in.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
My best guess is the media are making him wait to get in to get back at him for not being nice to them. Other posters are right though the media shouldn't be voting for this type of stuff as they are influenced by outside factors far too much.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13

members do vote on the vet committee to fix what the writers mess up

ive read some comments from members...dont want them voting...its all "in our day" stuff

these guys dont really remember "in our day" cuz they spent it in the drunken haze

barry larkin sure as heck doesnt, cuz he used to walk into clubhouses that had huge jars of speed on the clubhouse table....but he doesnt want "cheaters" in

more than one writer has noted that the hof is privately owned and funded

they all think we are stupid...

the hof was started in 36 by the mlb as a pr stunt to combat decrease in attendance due to the depression...ergo, the character clause....see honey, these guys are all great americans

the character clause needs to be struck...

lets see how much that clause means when <cox and larussa come up for the vote...

the membership regs need to be changed...no more lifetime junk....if you no longer report on baseball...out...

if you have ever been charged with a crime...not convicted...charged...out...goodbye howard bryant...you lowlife wife beating pos

rob neyer needs to immediately be put on the bbwaa

and to say broadcasters cannot be independent in their voting is absurd...dare a single writer to stand up and tell scully that

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13

btw, last time no one got in was 96...its happened 9 times in history

this is the first time that so many were deserving and no one got in...cuz the protectors of the faith had to make a statement and protect the children

• Reply to this Message
Messages 148416.12 through 148416.14 were deleted
  • 1/11/13

It's obvious that the media is getting even with Bonds, but we Giants fans know that Bonds is still one of the greatest stars ever in baseball. Bonds did not test positive for steroids during the testing baseball administered towards the end of his career, so he will be honored by Giants fans for scaling Mount Olympus and busting the Yankee and McGwire HR myth by hitting 73 HRs in a single season and hitting 762 total HRs in his career. Even so, the backlash for surpassing the touchstone baseball numbers is it made Bonds a nat’l media target, because he broke records that are supposedly only capable of being done by Yankees (eg Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle and Maris) and Mr. Aaron. Thus, the baseball writers now have to send a message that McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Palmeiro, etc. are now considered the Steroids ERA sluggers aren't deserving of being in the HOF despite their career achievements.

Bonds unfair advantage was he was born in privilege (IE Bobby Bonds, Willie Mays = Godfather), and it helped him become a Giant Icon (IE Mays, McCovey, Bonds). Let’s remember that Bonds was consistently good, because he broke HR records without a great slugger behind him or an extended season (eg 162+ games), and Bonds would have broken his own records if he wasn’t intentionally walked in record numbers. Nevertheless, his biggest sin was not being at arm’s length with the nat’l baseball media, so the writers beat into the nat’l psyche that Bonds was a “jerk,” “surly,” etc. Even so, Bonds knew the media was asking questions to put him on the defensive, so he continued to guard his own privacy, and it perpetuated his reputation outside of San Francisco. We Giants fans can be consoled that Joe Dimaggio was considered aloof, cold, inarticulate and a snob, because he barely talked to the press too. However, Dimaggio will always rightfully be a baseball legend due to his accomplishments as a Yankee Icon, because they played in pinstripes on the East coast.

Edited 1/11/13   by  DrilltheDH
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 148416.16 through 148416.17 were deleted
  • 1/12/13

did bonds ever fail a legal drug test....not the pretest, which wouldve been thrown out in a court of law?

was bonds convicted of perjury?

if the answer to the above is no....then not voting for him to get into the hall is unamerican

im sorry...but howard bryant used a standard that was not used against him when he was charged with wife beating

bryant says he cleared his name...no he didnt

he was never in a court of law, his wife refused to press charges....both bryant and his wife said that a witness was mistaken, when he thought he saw bryant choking his wife in their car

of course, first bryant used the race card

i say....guilty

therefore, he should not be on the bbwaa, for he has no character

the fact that he wrote a book on era, noted that the offensive explosion could have also occurred due to other factors....factors that he didnt take into account when turning in a blank ballot...should also lead to his expulsion

have you seen the guy? he is a midget....napolean complex

the system is broken. the writers think the fans are stupid and ignorant...when in fact, fans are more knowledgeable about the game today then ever before

• Reply to this Message
Message 148416.19 was deleted
  • 1/12/13
who cares about that f'n cheater. it's nfl playoff time, for cryin' out loud.
  • Reply to this Message