• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Brandon Lyon close to deal w/ Giants?
  • To:All
  • 1/10/13

According to BASG (who's been well connected with the team), the Giants are interested in him for what would be the last move of the offseason as far as signing major league players.

<http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/giants-may-add-brandon-lyon-to-their-bullpen/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=giants-may-add-brandon-lyon-to-their-bullpen&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
Alright..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
Sounds like a solid decision. I do wonder where Wilson is going to end up. I expected him signed by now.

Edited 1/10/13   by  KarlManson
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/10/13

Hard to argue with Sabean's moves/strategy given his success, but seems to me that the Giants are spending a bit too much on the Bullpen and MAYBE should have invested more in a LF...ON the other hand,Lyon is not a bad reliever to have and there might be plenty of relievers to be traded for offense at the deadline..

I really like the Tanaka signing also...seems like a real solid ball player

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
Any team that signs him maybe throwing away money because of the second Tommy John.
The Dodgers have finally quit throwing away money and just what team can afford a 6 million dollar gamble with better than house odds against you?
The Giants are still interested but I imagine any team interested wants to see some nineties velocity.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
Yeah Steveva it seems so obvious that it makes me think they have a plan in place. I honestly think he thinks the options will be better for a during the season deal for LF then what is currently available and for the cost. They showed they aren't afraid to spend, and anyone can see LF could be an issue, but they aren't making a move I think they are confident they are good enough to stay in it and snatch a guy half way in. My only concern with that strategy is the new playoff format hasn't had time to really see it's full effect on the mid season deals.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
Huh?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13

He's lost a couple of miles off his FB, and cruises at 89-90. That said, post-surgery, he didn't throw his customary high % of sliders and opted for the cutter. Results were good.

Giants also kicked/kicking the tires on mark Lowe, the former Ranger. His FB averages 94, so I'd say he intrigues my more. Don't know his price.

Only problem with Lowe is that his career vs LHP has not been good: .285 BA & .865 OPS.

Lowe is better balanced in that respect.

• Reply to this Message
Message 148414.10 was deleted
  • 1/11/13

Sign Wilson instead.

1. no
2. No one is sure he can reach home plate with any pitch
3. He does not want any "if you can't" wording in contract
4. He wants to much for untried arm
5. He thinks hes better than he really is..

• Reply to this Message
Message 148414.12 was deleted
  • 1/11/13

Not sure what part you didn't understand in particular, but basically what I meant to sum up is if they didn't make a move for a LF in the off-season then they felt they could get better value out of who they could make a trade for or just take on the salary of at the deadline. Makes no sense a team that is not afraid to spend money in so many areas but LF.

It is either that or they think Blanco/Torres will get the job done which I guess is possible, but seems unlikely to me.

Edited 1/11/13   by  madbuster
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 148414.14 through 148414.15 were deleted
  • 1/12/13

I've read recovery success from the first TJ surgery is around 90%, second surgery in the 50 -60% range. Wilson had #2 and he's in his 30's so seems to be a risky prospect, he might be done. Was offered low base with high incentive contract which made sense all things considered.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148414.17 was deleted
  • 1/12/13
He's probably going to get a major league deal, seeing that he's been good for 50-70 games barring injuries. That's a lot of money put into the pen.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
So this means weazy is gone :(
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13

Hey LGSF,

"I understand he's a risk, but if he's payed accordingly, there's potential for a high reward."

The Giants have tried that approach with Wilson. Early in the off-season, the Giants made it be known they wanted to sign Wilson to a low base salary, but with enough incentives to actually exceed his pay from 2012.

Wilson passed.

Wilson hasn't shown a willingness to accept the opportunity to be "paid accordingly", which is why he's still on the market and not a part of the Giants' 2013 plans.

"That, and it's Bryan freaking Wilson, the guy is a Giant through and through."

You may feel that way, but apparently he doesn't.

IMO, Wilson will sign with whatever team is willing to give him a highly guaranteed deal, with minimal incentives. If no one will, he'll probably be back, hoping the Giants will give him the deal he was offered in the first place.

LoneStar

• Reply to this Message