• Welcome Guest
San Francisco Giants

Welcome to the San Francisco Giants.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• HGH Testing During Season
  • To:All
  • 1/10/13

<http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130110&content_id=40916028&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

"Commissioner Bud Selig announced significant modifications in Major League Baseball's drug testing program, already the strongest in professional sports, after briefing top executives on the final day of the quarterly Owners Meetings on Thursday.

Under the changes, players will be subject to random unannounced in-season blood tests for human growth hormone and baseline testosterone readings will be taken for all players to make it easier to detect the use of synthetic testosterone.

The more stringent procedures, which will begin this season, were implemented and announced in conjunction with the MLB Players Association and will amend the current Collective Bargaining Agreement that runs through 2016."

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13

Another step in the right direction.

It's all about when you test and what you test for, and the more random and widespread the testing and the more chemicals and imbalances you test for, the cleaner you can say your sport is.

"Major League Baseball's drug testing program, already the strongest in professional sports"

I was always kind of sceptical of this claim, as I understood the French Cycling blood passport and IOC testing to be stronger.
Always good when you hear the director of a WADA (another big step getting them involved) accredited lab saying the agreement "makes baseball's program second to none in detecting and deterring the use of synthetic HGH and testosterone." though.

The MLBPA deserve a lot of credit for agreeing to these changes also. Pity they hadn't done so a long time ago.

• Reply to this Message
Message 148413.3 was deleted
  • 1/10/13

I thought that was their default position.

Ned's probably running around the Latrine right now looking for some other player with huge question marks to offer $100m to.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13

If I recall, the Union was originally against blood testing. That was when the technology wasn't quite up to speed. The convo then turned to the entities that test Olympic athletes.

Both parties agreed not to release the names of the 104 that reportedly were found to have links with PEDS or Roids. Therefore yes, it's about time BOTH parties got real.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
Ned can't catch a break. LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
far from the most stringent in sports. Of the 4 major sports, maybe, but not all all sports. And to be effective, it needs to be year-round, and not just in-season.

Edited 1/10/13   by  grrrah
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13

hgh testing during the season is a joke

even with the new regs, most testing is a joke

unless they can test during the offseason, when most hard training takes place

know what this cba doesnt include? a revamp in the developmental system that would curb ped use because guys would actually be put in a training system that would benefit them in reaching their goals

know what else it doesnt include? paying minor leaguers a living wage so they wont be the only ones starving while owners of minor league teams make buck

selig makes me wanna heave

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13

Well, during the season testosterone is supposed to have a positive effect. I get your point, but I wouldn't call in-season testing a joke.

Off-season may never happen. They will argue invasion of private life, if they have surprise visits at their home, with a doctor ready to take their blood.

Anyway, another article that illustrates the NFL players union under pressure to comply. Talk about a joke, the NFL quite obviously contain more juicers per capita than baseball IMO.

<http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-expand-blood-testing-hgh-195804875--mlb.html

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13

Well other sports do that year round. If you take a vacation to the swiss alps, you have to tell them, and they may show up at your hotel.

As was pointed out, most HGH and hard training is done during the off-season. I doubt many cycle HGH during the season.

Testosterone is used for recovery in-season, maybe after 6 or more games in a row. Definately in-season, and easy to pass the current testing procedures (again, a joke). Failing the test is due to being sloppy(Melky). Put the patch on, and take it off before you fall asleep..

• Reply to this Message
Message 148413.11 was deleted
  • 1/10/13

Testosterone is used for recovery in-season, maybe after 6 or more games in a row. Definately in-season, and easy to pass the current testing procedures (again, a joke). . Put the patch on, and take it off before you fall asleep..

----

Maybe I read this wrong. Isn't new testing procedures being put in place, with the Canadian company?

If MLB has NEW testing procedures for testosterone, it would make a difference. Not an expert obviously, but it's a game of back and forth on which side stays ahead of the other with technology. Certainly mlb has been behind the curve.

"Failing the test is due to being sloppy(Melky)..."

This should include Ryan Braun aas well, who swore to clear up his name (and had a good mdical reason allegedly), but instead took a technicality out.

Hmmmm....maybe Susan Slusser can shed some light on the Braun bust.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13

Yeah, new procedures (having a baseline on each player), will show the variations in testosterone levels vs. normal levels. Instead of the old, where they just had to be below a certain level. This should cut down on the use of mid-season testosterone use. I'm not too familiar with the new testings, but I honestly believe the victor conte's, etc., are still a step ahead and will find a way to beat the testing. Cycling has rediculous procedures (way, way stiffer) compared to the major sports, and 99% still find a way to beat the system.

But, the bigger issue is off-season HGH use.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13

To compete in the Olympics, the cyclist (and of course others) must comply with the drug testing rules put in place by that entity. They do not have unions to block these attempts.

The mlb players union/association did not agree to testing in the beginning. Then they agreed to limited testing. Still not good enough, and we fast forward to today.

It's been a long process. Both parties are guilty, but the players were really against it.

Yeah, the cyclist use blood transfusions, and gory stuff like that.

Not sure if hgh is detectable in-season, after use off-season. That is something I need clarified. I would think it is, and that is why they agreed to in-season.

From what little I briefly gleaned on testosterone, there are 2 tests. The 1st one is baseline, and can have a lot of false positives. The 2nd one is very good, but very expensive.

The speculation is that they use the 1st test to just compile a list of guys that might be worthy of the 2nd test.

• Reply to this Message
Message 148413.15 was deleted
Message 148413.17 was deleted
  • 1/11/13

bummer, yeah, you are correct.

So I'm blending my own knowledge and assumptions from different sports (could definately be wrong), but I think its like this.

For the testosterone case, the 2nd (expensive one) is done if the first is triggered. In the past, when the 1st test showed a certain arbritrary level (same for everyone), they would do the 2nd test with the same sample. You put the patch on for a couple hours, and you would fall below that trigger level after 6 hours. Now, if they keep a baseline of you and everyone else. So when you do the patch, they can see that you are higher than your normal (but still below the old limit) for upto a couple weeks. Then guessing they will do the expensive isotope test or test you more often. I believe the synthetic testosterone will show in the system for up to two weeks.

Good question about HGH in the off-season and how it lingers in the system, I don't know. But testosterone and other PEDs can definately be in and out of the system during an offseason.

In cycling, they dope with EPO in the offseason, in constant, but very small doses to remain below levels to trigger additional tests, then in competition, they re-insert their own blood that they extracted 6 months earlier (more blood, more oxygen to body). That and they use the testosterone in small doses for recovery (as described above). Alberto Contador got busted because the blood he extracted from himself in the offseason was dirty, and he put it back in during the tour de france. Floyd Landis got busted because he fell asleep with the testosterone patch on (guessing this is what melky and braun did). Also, MLB old testing procedures were a joke because you knew when and where the tests were gonna happen. If you are guilty, just show up late to the park or something.

Cycling has a union too, but its just as dirty as the riders. Lance and 95% of the tour are guilty, just less sloppy.

Oh, and math is easy. Spelling is hard!

Edited 1/11/13   by  grrrah
Edited 1/11/13   by  grrrah
  • Reply to this Message
Message 148413.19 was deleted
  • 1/11/13
It will be interesting to see the same writers that played God with their HOF voting, relate to NFL stars that get caught. Shet, 30% of the league might get caught. LOL
  • Reply to this Message