• Welcome Guest
Arizona Diamondbacks

Welcome to the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Another Classless Dodger Fan Act
  • To:All
  • 8/17/08
  • cbgb1977
Wow, Eric Gagne comes in for Milwaukee and gets BOOOOOed by the Dodger "faithful". What happened to all those "Game Over" T-shirts, did they use them to wipe their A_$$'s with? The guy was one of the best closers in the game for the Dodgers, and on his 1st return to LA he gets the Booooed. WOW!!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • MOJO32
Johnny Damon gets booed when he plays at Fenway now (of course, he's a lying traitor so I boo him as well). Manny would get mixed cheers and boos the next time he plays at Fenway. I'm not defending Dodger fans, so don't jump my case. I'm just saying sometimes a former player will get booed when they return depending on the circumstances on which they left in the first place. I don't know what terms Gagme left under when he departed LA. I know if he came back to play in Boston he would get cheered only because the fans know he'll give up some runs. Some players still get cheered,(unless they hit a homerun) when they play their former team. (Trot Nixon gets a standing ovation every time he comes to Fenway because he still is a fan favorite)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • Czolgosz

I think you're over-reacting. It's pretty normal for a visiting player to get some boos from his former team's fans.

Didn't The Great Gonzo hear some boos when he came back to AZ in a different uniform? Like Gagne he made his name putting up inflated highly suspect roid numbers for one team and now plays for another.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • cbgb1977
Actually Gonzo and Counsell got standing O's on their return to Phoenix. Respect for what those two accomplished as a Dback. I'm not saying Dback fans are great, actually they are far from great unless you consider sitting on your hands the entire game and having the emotions of a doorknob being a great fan. Come on people lets see some emotion at the games, get off your D_amn Blackberry and stand up and show your colors. When the Dodgers come to town next week, get off the freak_in couch , get to the stadium with your Dback hats and Jerseys and stand up and show the Dodger fans and players who OWNS this stadium and who will win the west! I'm starting a new topic on this now that I've gotten myself all worked up!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • kempfan27
f gagne, he left for an extra million. and he was a cheater, why would we cheer for him?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • Tigro
Redsox fans = Dodger fans in terms of lack of class
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • blueeyedgal

He left because he didn't fancy sitting in the dugout watching Saito pitch. There's no way he'd have bolted for 1 million more. Read the interview with him yesterday; he still misses being a Dodger and bleeds blue enough to repeat his pre-game rituals when he "comes home" to Dodger Stadium.

As for the cheater, yep, that rather calls into question the magic he used to work for us.

There was also a lot of cheering for him. I would've neither cheered nor booed because the cheating negates the good work, but not because of his trying to patch together a career where he'd get more work.

As for classy fans, for every example of un-classy, you've got classy...

www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=8R0kqA5XYdg&rel=1

Fans on the Brewers boards were shocked there was no swearing. Sometimes you give props to the other team, eh?

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/17/08
  • MOJO32
and a classless post coming from you. I tried to be nice to you, and you turned out to be a horse's a.$.s..
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • Tigro
My apologizes.
I have to put up with a large collection of rude Yankees/Redsox fans around where I live though so I'm usually hostile towards them by default.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense while there are so many around here seeing as how I live closer to Cleveland (Buffalo is home to their farm team) and Toronto (which is just over the border).
Any way, I am sorry, you are one of the nicer ones.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • feelin'you

You are overreacting , If I was at the game i wouldn't have booed him, but he was a big name in the Mitchell Report, He did say he would take less money to stay with dodgers.

Does it really make you feel better to jump on every little thing dodger fans do and write about it?

• Reply to this Message
Message 34690.11 was deleted
  • 8/18/08
  • cot15
If you don't know the whole story you need to stay out of it. Gagne had screw us over. He was suppose to give us a hometown discount but decline and signed with the Rangers for an extra millions. The guy had it coming for a long time. I guess you didn't know that LA fans found out he took steriod in the Mitchell Report. I gave him a standing ovation when he came back. I bet if Gonzo name was there you would did the same thing.

Edited 8/18/08   by  cot15
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • wykid_

so we should cheer a cheater?

besides the fact that hes a cheater, he said he wanted to stay with us, but turned around and signed the bigger contract. do you think its reasonable to pay a guy $12M, after hes sidelined for 2 years cause of injuries? the FO declined the $12M option, but we offered him a REASONABLE contract, but he chose to go a different path. it worked out well for all parties. well, worked out for us in the sense that we got SAITO (for a FRACTION of what gagne wanted) and got rid of a cheater. it worked out well for him cause he got a ring without helping his club (in many cases hurting his club) and is getting paid big bux to have an era over 6.

Eric Gagne*
84 straight saves*

Edited 8/18/08   by  wykid_
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • cbgb1977
OK I admit, I don't know the whole story, if thats the case I don't blame you. Richie Sexon pretty much got the same reaction when he came back here, after only playing for about 4 weeks and hurting himself when we traded 1/2 the team for him. I thought Gagne was a little more liked.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • blueeyedgal

He was, and there were people clapping for him too -- but between the "hometown discount" fiasco (which I think was overblown, but I see why people got annoyed) and his saves record turning out to be as tainted as Bonds' HRs, he eroded fans' respect.

If you look at it another way, Dodger fans would have been hypocrites to boo Bonds but not Gagne because he's "one of ours."

Personally I won't boo any player, even Bonds, but I can see that logic.

The boos made me sad though. Other fans also expressed sadness about it. I suspect it's a mixed bag just as it would be if we played in Fenway -- Manny would get booed now, although there would also be clapping.

Not that I would class him with Bonds and Gagne. I think his talent is legit; he's just a slightly kooky primadonna. What a weird player to wind up a Dodger!

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • dbacksfanatics

I think it's funny how people throw that classless word around like its some kind of insult.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/18/08
  • MOJO32
no harm no foul. we cool
  • Reply to this Message
  • 8/19/08
  • thinkbluebleedblue

Anyone who uses PED"s deserves to be booed, he cheated and that's why I boo him. I boo very few ex-Dodgers; Sheffield(@hole), JD Drew(the manner in which he opted out, not that he opted out), Gagne(cheated with HGH), and LoDuca(cheated with HGH and his comments about the Dodger organization).

I think it's classless not to boo a person that cheated especially when kids look up to ballplayers. The ballplayers are letting kids down not the other way around.

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/19/08
  • shoewizard

by the mid-late 90's and into the early 2000's, at least 1/3 to 1/2 half of major league ballplayers were probably using PED's, or had used at some point in their career.

It's just a fact we have to live with. The Mitchell report and other investigations are merely the tip of the ice berg. Trust me.

Here is a site you might find interesting

www.baseballssteroidera.com/

• Reply to this Message
  • 8/19/08
  • blueeyedgal

Which is why I don't even boo Bonds. (That, and I think it's better to cheer one's team.)

Sad. The thing that really bothers me is that there's still no drug test that picks up HGH, is there?

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Dear Management
Latest by fredmertz1 - 7:53 PM
Looks like Trumbo to the DL
Latest by luvnlyf1973 - 7:21 PM
series at Cubs
Latest by snakesnos - 7:05 PM
Dbacks = laughing stock of MLB
Latest by dann2291 - 7:00 PM
Kirk
Latest by dbaxpwnall - 5:48 PM