Chicago Cubs

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Cubs interested in Yoenis Cespedes?
  • To:All
  • 11/9/11
  • A_Mazz_ing

Interesting...

http://www.bleachernation.com/2011/11/09/source-chicago-cubs-will-consider-making-offer-to-cuban-star-yoenis-cespedes/

A 5-tool player that is major league ready (most likely). 26 years old. Looking for about $6mil a year. I think he's well worth the risk. But like the article says, the Marlins will be very interested bc of the whole Cuban fan base thing.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
I don't doubt there is interest. That article was written by Brett.... Whoever that is. Some fan I am guessing. As for Cespedes, I really hope they have done their homework if they are considering making an offer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • A_Mazz_ing
I read yesterday there were almost 10 teams interested, you would have to think this kid has some real ability that will translate. I can see the Cubs as being interested (as it seams like 1/3 of the teams are)... but I don't think they'll get him. I think Miami makes a big push.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
The Marlins seem to be in on about everyone. They are reportedly interested in Buehrle, Pujols, Prince, Cespedes, and Reyes. I guess we better hope they make a big push for Reyes. He obviously would tie up quite a bit of payroll.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • montanacub82

The Cubs didn't send any scouts to see him yesterday so no I do not think they are interested.

I would love to have him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
I hope and imagine they have done their homework on him if they are going to make an offer. If we have nobody checking him out then I agree, it's probably unlikely we are serious contenders for his services.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • A_Mazz_ing
Didn't know this. I agree with trigg. Were not sending scouts, were not interested.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/9/11
  • srvthalia
I don't understand why the Marlins would be interested in Reyes. Would Hanley Ramirez move to 3B? They just signed 2B Omar Infante to an extension. I guess that's their plan since Gregg Dobbs is a free agent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
Hanley would presumably move to 3rd. He needs to move to 3rd anyway. Not saying it is smart for them to sign Reyes(he will get way overpaid and is an injury case), I will say they need a shortstop instead of just throwing Hanley out there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • jabloomf1230
New Park ---> More revenue (How could there not be?) ---> Big splash with FAs, etc.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
Exactly. I think Loria has kind of hinted at raising their payroll to 85 million. Right now they have about 45 million committed(not counting arbitration raises or 1st year eligibility). To just throw a number out there, let's say they have 60 or so committed. That means they likely have enough money for one big splash(Reyes or Fielder) and possibly another solid signing. Something tells me Loria will be a little more flexible on that 85 million.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • TheJackson5

They have over 49 Million committed with just Hanley Ramirez, Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, John Buck, Omar Infante and Randy Choate. Their beat writer says that it will only be between 60-70 million for this season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r

Their beat writer is the equivalent of Muskrat then. Right now they have 45.75 committed for 2012 not counting arbitration eligible players. Meaning they would not be in the Pujols/Fielder/Reyes/Buerhle or anyone market. 85 million is the reported figure. At least 85 million.

<http://www.thebaseballpage.com/content/marlins-will-raise-their-payroll-least-85-million

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • Batman66
Red Sox fans told me Theo doesn't often tip his hand so just because we haven't heard anything but a Phil Rogers tweet, that doesn't mean there is no interest from the Cubs.
Theo could just be laying low and then when the guy is labeled a free agent he could come in with an offer that doesn't d*c* around.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • Batman66
And then when fans still don't show up after the first year of the new park he'll be looking to dump all the guys he signed.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
If there are no scouts from the Cubs scouting him currently then I hope we have little to no interest. This is the type of move you really need to do your homework on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r

"And then when fans still don't show up after the first year of the new park he'll be looking to dump all the guys he signed."

Agreed. Carlos Delgado part 2 will be happening. Baseball just doesn't seem viable in Florida. A lot of the retired people come from the northeast and root for the Yanks or Sox or some other team. Building a new stadium isn't necessarily going to sustain an increase in turnout. I am sure they will do better attendance wise, but then they will run into the same problems eventually.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • Batman66
Well it's not like this guy is some 16 year old and a new player that no major league baseball people ever heard of.
He's been around a while so they could already have a read on him and could have scouted him before. We did sign a few Cuban international free agents during the season so it's not like the Cubs are oblivious to whats going on over there.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • trigg3r
Those guys were relatively cheap. Not a huge risk. This guy is said to be looking for up to 30 million or more. A lot different scenario. While we have seen him in the WBC etc, it still pays to get all the information you can. How will he adjust to the Major Leagues? Some people can do it well. Others stumble.
Edited 11/9/11   by  trigg3r
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/9/11
  • Batman66
My point with mentioning the guys they did sign is they have been scouting Cuba so Flieta may already know what he needs to know about this guy.
Sounds like he's being over hyped by his agent so the Cubs not jumping up and sending reps out to see him asap doesn't mean there is no interest to me.
I'm not saying they are interested, we just don't know at this point.
If he is this good as his agent is hyping I doubt at his age he was a secret .
  • Reply to this Message