• Welcome Guest
Chicago Cubs

Welcome to the Chicago Cubs.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• JoeSmith will love this: Pie
  • To:All
  • 6/29/08
  • toonsterwu

Over on TCR, Arizona Phil, one of the best and most insightful online resources for Cubs minor league information, particularly out in Arizona, posted this on Felix Pie today:

"So do I really think Pie was sent to Fitch Park to "rehab" a "sprained thumb"?

Well...

... from what I've heard, he did have a thumb injury, but it wasn't particularly significant, and it certainly wasn't the type of injury that would normally warrant a trip to the h.ell that is Fitch Park in June.

Reading between the lines, it appears that Pie being sent to Fitch Park was more for disciplinary reasons than it was to rehab an injured thumb, with the so-called "sprained thumb" the excuse needed to justify the DL stint and the Fitch Park rehab assignment.

What the exact nature of Pie's transgression at Iowa was, I don't know. Maybe Mike Wellman can find out. But I have heard whispers that he sulked big-time after being optioned to AAA by the Cubs in May, and that part of the reason behind the Cubs decision to option the Pie man to Iowa in the first place was related to his becoming a bit of a "party animal" in Chicago, staying out until all hours of the night and then showing up at the ballpark not necessarily "ready to play" the next day.

As a further tidbit of bizarro information, Pie had what sounded like an argument with someone from the Cubs brass (I couldn't see exactly who it was, but I could probably guess) who was sitting up in the Fitch Park Tower that overlooks the four fields as Pie was walking to the clubhouse after he left the game in the 6th inning.

I didn't understand the complete nature of the "discussion," but I believe it had something to do with Pie expecting to leave town immediately (like "who is driving me to the airport?"), but being told instead that he would be staying at Fitch Park at least one more day.

Pie did not look happy, that's for sure."

If this is true, and I have no reason not to believe this as it is a good source (I mean ... sprained thumb rehab ... and yet he's playing right when he gets down there is somewhat ... well, telling ... ), albeit taken with the grain of salt that AzPhil says he's reading btw the lines, then it certainly sounds like Pie is treading thin ice in the organization. If this is true, and a team wants Pie in a deal, it wouldn't surprise me if we finally moved on.

Just thought it was interesting commentary from AzPhil.

Link: thecubreporter.com/2008/06/29/pie-tastes-bitter#comments

Edited 6/29/08   by  toonsterwu
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • trib09sale
How big of a m0ron do you have to be to do that when you're a .185 hitter?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • cubsfaninfla2

Haha wow. Pie is truly Corey Patterson 2.0

-They wear the same uniform number
-Both K at an alarming rate
-Both have a p.i.s.s poor attitude
-Both were the "CF of the future"
-Both are busts

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • toonsterwu
I can understand the disappointment, the sulking, to a certain extent. The problem is, if he really was a "party animal", then he only has himself to blame. Hey, I understand a kid wants to have some fun. I remember. I haven't been to Chicago in awhile, but there are definitely a lot of things to do. But, if this is true, Pie has to learn how to have fun while getting the job done. David Wells was a notorious guy for his antics, but he was prepared more often than not. Short of it is, if that part is true, then I think it is a great move on their part to set precedence for a level of discipline to be meted out, irrespective of who the player is, and I say Bravo ... assuming all this is true.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • cubswinx2
Great, What else can he do to reduce his trade value before the deadline?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • cubsfaninfla2
Joe's gonna be in tears
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • trib09sale
No. Joe will call it a lie or pretend it doesn't matter.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • trib09sale
That's what I meant when I called him an idiot. It's strange though because all we ever heard was how receptive Felix had been.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • cubsfaninfla2
Of course...his precious Felix could never do anything wrong.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • thetruth11

Such a terrific story.

Rumor has it that according to an unknown source an unspecified person did an unspecified thing in an unspecified place.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • cubsfaninfla2
Cabanski's a Pie person too?!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/29/08
  • toonsterwu
No one is saying this is definitely true, but AzPhil is one of the best Cubs resources online.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 326551.13 was deleted
  • 6/29/08
  • cubsfaninfla2

+++Great, What else can he do to reduce his trade value before the deadline? +++

Get caught in JoeSmith's apartment wearing a diaper with whip marks on his back.....

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 6/30/08
  • toonsterwu

Thinking about this a day later -

If this is true ...

I wouldn't mind him sticking in Arizona for a couple more days. Beyond his potential discipline question that TCR raises is the fact that his swing was in a rut. Sure, there were signs that he might be breaking out, but this might not be the worst thing for him from a talent perspective to gain some confidence down there.

Furthermore, it must be horrid to have to wake up early in the morning to go shag fly balls and to play at the heat, only to go home in the afternoon in 100 degree weather at times. If this is true, a few more days of this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, to get into him that playing baseball is a privilege.

Again ... if this is true. I'm not saying it is, and AzPhil has admitted that he is reading between the lines. That said, he is one of the best Cubs minor league resources online and a good source for facts and opinion.

• Reply to this Message
  • 6/30/08
  • eatmemods
If true, this is all a huge disappointment. I hope they leave him down there a couple more weeks for "rehab" and further impress upon him what a privilege playing baseball for a living is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/30/08
  • jabloomf1230
Now the Cubs can trade Pie for Shawn Chacon.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/30/08
  • eatmemods
They won't have to trade for him. Nobody will.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/30/08
  • BiittnersBat
Yeah right.
Sounds more like the baseball version of Hollywood Extra, which means it's probably BS.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 6/30/08
  • buntarosan

"Yeah right.
Sounds more like the baseball version of Hollywood Extra, which means it's probably BS."

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this story, but there have been more than a few ML players that have partied themselves out of a job.

• Reply to this Message