• Welcome Guest
St. Louis Cardinals

Welcome to the St. Louis Cardinals.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Any chance with Lohse?
  • To:All
  • 12/21/12
  • Corn_Growin_Farmer
Market doesn't seem to be real strong. Any chance we scoop him up and dump Westy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/21/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard
I figured someone would overpay for him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/21/12
  • Corn_Growin_Farmer
Still very possible. Dodgers don't seem to care if they have 15 starting pitchers by the end of the offseason and you can never rule out the Angels when it comes to free agency. It appears the Cubs have been interested in pitching this offseason but I rule them out after the Jackson signing...(52 mil!? Jeeeeeeeeessus!)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • cardfan_fl

Someone will, and he's a Boras client, so it's still early for him.

Having said that, I'm still hopeful. If nothing else, we're the only team that won't give up a pick to sign him.

My money is on the Angels. I'd say the Dodgers just because they're looking for another way to spend money, but at some point they'd have to start converting some of their guys to relievers at the rate they're going.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • luvcards53
I think we all know that the Cubs aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • luvcards53
That'd be cool, but probably Yankees or Jays snag him a little later on. Westy can go as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • Corn_Growin_Farmer
I have to disagree with the Yankees. Seems like EVERYONE costs too much for them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • danneau

Yeah. The Yankees are trying to make it under the luxury tax while they choke on Arod's retirement package.

I seem to recall hearing that Boras clients have had a horrible year. Maybe that's a good thing for us and we can sign Lohse.

It didn't help seeing Edwin Jackson getting 4 years $52 million. He is the very definition of average. If they could break it downthat fine, he would be a Number 2.50 guy in the rotation.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • luvcards53
In any case, it doesn't appear that anyone is chomping at the bit to sign him. Have you seen anything?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • younguns05
What type of money is Lohse looking for? If Boras wasn't his agent I think he would have resigned with St. Louis already. I don't know why it surprises me that players take the cash over winning but it happens all the time now a days.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • luvcards53
I haven't heard. Actually anything about the guy. Makes me wonder if he's damaged goods or something. After all, if the Cubs were stupid enough to have signed Jackson for 52 mil, why isn't anyone hitting on Lohse?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 109254.12 was deleted
  • 12/22/12
  • younguns05
Kind of what I was wondering. I can see why the Cubs signed Jackson they needed a guy who eats up a lot of innings. 4yrs 52 is definitely a moveable contract if the union doesn't work out. Something might be showing up in Lohsee's medical record that is making teams a little hesitant maybe? I'd like to see the Cards resign at the right price. Lohse he has been pretty d*** solid lately.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • younguns05
I was reading about the young arms that the Cards have in their system. A lot of talent on the verge of being called up. This has always been the MO for St. Louis and it appears a new crop in on the horizon. How many years do Carp and Waino have left on their contracts?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • Thunder_Gun_Express
If Edwin Jackson can get a 4 year $52 million deal, and Annibal Sanchez 5 years $80 million............Kyle Lohse should probably fall somewhere in that range, maybe with less years because of his age. Maybe his asking price is way high, but Kyle Lohse has been a different pitcher since his last surgery............and has had his 2 best statistical years the last 2 seasons with 30 wins.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • Thunder_Gun_Express
I really hate seeing Lohse go, but it's a wise economic decision by the Cards. The Cards potentially will have Lance Lynn, Shelby Miller, and Joe Kelly competing for starting spots in the rotation.........all of which are very capable and very cheap for a few more years. That depth may be tested if Carpenter goes down, or Jaime Garcia is ineffective again. Either way, i think the Cards will be fine if Lohse signs elsewhere
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • luvcards53
Oh, I think they will be fine, too. We really don't need Lohse, but if a reasonable 2-3 year contract could be worked out, I see no reason not to go for it. Something comparable to what Jackson got. I've seen some posters allude to his age being a factor, but I would remind them that Carp and Westy are both older.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • danneau

Unless there is something we don't know (and there almost certainly is) I don't see any reason that Lohse wouldn't be able to get 3 years at $50 million.

I'm not a big fan of w-l records as a gauge of pitchers but 16-3 is no statistical outlier. He's a good pitcher coming off his best year.

If we can't pay him, someone else will.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • luvcards53
IMO, that would be a reasonable offer. He's had a pretty solid last two years. As I posted earlier, though(and some here agree), I wonder if he has some health issue. You would have thought he would have had several offers by now, considering some lesser pitchers have signed for pretty good money. Or is it that Boras is pricing him way too high? Just kinda funny that we haven't heard anything about him.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • HOC
  • HOC
16-3 is no statistical outlier

it could very easily be a statistical outlier.
  • Reply to this Message