• Welcome Guest
St. Louis Cardinals

Welcome to the St. Louis Cardinals.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 1st Base in '13
  • To:All
  • 12/6/12
  • UnderDogs
Does Matt Adams have a shot to start there? I saw that kid in AA and he really crushed. We'll take him in Houston and trade you back Wallace.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 109227.2 was deleted
  • 12/6/12
  • clonegibson2pitch

1st base will most likely be manned by Allen Craig this coming season. Adams' best chance to become the starter there will likely come in 2014 when Carlos Beltran is gone allowing Craig to shift to right.

Of course, injuries would change Adams' chances.

There's also a good chance that Oscar Taveras gets right field in 2014 squeezing out Adams.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Adams traded at some point to fill a need, most likely at short if Furcal is hurt or after 2013 if no other viable option for filling short surfaces.

• Reply to this Message
Message 109227.4 was deleted
  • 12/6/12
  • clonegibson2pitch
Hopefully they both hit well enough for us that who should go is not an obvious answer. Of course, Adams will be a little cheaper at that point due to having less time in the majors, but he is also limited defensively to 1st. One way or another, it'll be a good problem to have if everyone is producing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • _LEFTY_

I dont think I can handle watching Adams play 1B.

Unless he hits 40 HRs a year and hits .300 that is.

• Reply to this Message
Message 109227.7 was deleted
  • 12/6/12
  • Barnabas_Libtard

If Craig plays another full year at 1st, it would be hard for me to imagine him being moved back to the OF in 2014. Not very often is someone moved from the OF, to 1B for multiple years, then back to the OF. I realize you meant this as a best-chance scenario as far as Adams is concerned, but still... I have a feeling Adams doesn't have a long-term future with this team.

I'd like to think Adams can improve his defensive abilities, but how much does a player ever truly improve his defense once he's at the big boy level? It's like bad free-throw shooters in the NBA... they're destined to be what they are.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • dtreidjr
I think it would take an absolutely incredible offer to get Craig from us. Front office is very high on him and rightfully so. I think the Cards value him higher than any other team would ever be willing to go.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • _LEFTY_
I think Adams gets traded the moment Raffy goes down for the year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • luvcards53
I don't think Craig will go anywhere anytime soon..You are correct...It would take an incredible deal for Cardinals to move him.....Guy is a beast.....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/6/12
  • luvcards53
Maybe sooner than that....Everybody knows Raffy won't make the full year....Maybe not even the beginning of the year.....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • UnderDogs

I have never seen a guy who was a shortstop at the MLB level not be able to go back on pop-up. Sad thing is he was an improvement with that exception.

Must be nice to want to win.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • UnderDogs
I like Adams. Send him to Houston.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • RealFacts

"I think Adams gets traded the moment Raffy goes down for the year."

Probably the best way to handle it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • SmartCardFan
Got to get his trade value back up first with some AAA mashing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • silverking
Adams needs to be spending the winter working on his fielding. If he can make improvements he becomes a lot more valuable and would make putting Craig regularly. If he doesn't improve his fielding then a trade is more likely.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • jwfrank
Adams could take over at 1B but Craig stays in the OF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • cadi197
Allen Craig will be the Cards starting 1st baseman for many years to come. He hits for average and power. He also is an above average defensive player. Matt Adams, is a defensive liability right now. He has power but won't be a "hit for average guy". Matt Adams will eventually be traded. Taveres will be the heir to RF when Beltran's contract is up. I wouldn't be suprised to see Taveres somehow make the opening day roster pending Beltran's health. We have too many OF's so, Craigs day's out in the OF will be limited from now on.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • _LEFTY_

"He(Craig) also is an above average defensive player"

No

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
CONGRATS to yet another StLouis Cardinals
Latest by 12XWSCHAMP - 8:03 AM
A.P goes yard twice for 500
Latest by 12XWSCHAMP - 7:55 AM
2014 Rexbird star/goat award