• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Gibby is the man
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • eastcoastjaysfan

Who's watching this Brunt special? Seriously, Gibby is probably one of the most likable guys I have ever seen.

I feel ashamed for having started the 5000 Posts To Fire Gibbons thread back in the day

What a guy

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • B_T_S
Gibby is indeed the man. Would drink beers with.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • PuppyWorld

I just hope he learned and grew up a lot while he was a part of Royals coaching staff for three years

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • fansince1988
We were young we didn't know what we had till it was gone...and replaced by complete stupidity...TWICE.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • saskjayfan

This is a really likeable team in general. There's reyes a little ball of energy always smiling. Dickey is a treat to listen to. Bautista is the stoic well spoken leader who show's his passion when he plays. Then Gibby is just a likeable guy who actually considers Toronto his dream job, not his training ground.

This team is going to have lots of leaders IMO and I can't wait for the season.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • s33n
I don't have cable, is there a link to the special?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • NorthOf49

Truly one of the good guys for sure.

What's most important is that he's approachable, which allows him to build real relationships with the players. Farrell always seemed so distant, not the type of guy you can just hang out with and whose decision-making you can have faith in due to your faith in him as an individual.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • jr_felix

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/

The videos on the right.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • DavidPadres50

His lineup was

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Lind
Lawrie
Rasmus
Arencibia
Izturis

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Lafrentz54

Anyone else think we may see a 3/4/5 of Melky, Bautista and EE if Lawrie is tearing the cover off of the ball?

Reyes- S
Lawrie- R
Melky- S
Jose- R
EE- R
Lind- L
JPA-R
Rasmus- L
Bonofacio/Izturis

Or am I reading too far into splitting L/R? I really hate the idea of having Lind hit in front of Lawrie just because he hits left.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • terminator25
I don't mind your idea. But really, batting Lind 5th or 6th doesn't really matter much. Personally, I don't care where he bats as long he's not in the lineup against lefties.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • jaysnyny

I wouldn't put Lawrie #2. He just doesn't come accross as the kind of guy who will hit behind the runner and stuff like that. If Reyes leads off with a walk and steals 2nd, will Lawrie be satisfied to ground out to the right side? Naaaa... maybe in a few years when he matures a bit, but for now he'll still want to mash a double into the left field corner... and instead ground out to 3rd, freezing Reyes at 2nd.

Bat him at the bottom with JPA, there's another who just wants to hit home runs. And Rasmus. Put those 3 guys together, they deserve each other.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Lafrentz54

If Lawrie hits to expectations, he is a pretty good #2 for this squad. I would hate to waste that just because we want to split the righties with Lind.

Vs RHP
1. Reyes
2. Lawrie
3. Melky
4. Jose
5. EE
6. Lind/Rasmus
7. JPA
8. Lind/Rasmus
9. Bonifacio/Izturis

Vs LHP
1. Reyes
2. Lawrie
3. Melky
4. Jose
5. EE
6. Rasmus
7. JPA
8. Bonifacio/Izturis
9. Davis

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Lafrentz54
Well he doesn't necessarily have to ground out to the right side. I would hope thats not what they're preaching. He still can look to drive the ball that way, and he certainly has the ability to do so. I understand what you're saying, I just don't think that it "not being his style" should be the reasoning. If he buys into a system, situational hitting should take care of itself.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 88492.15 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • gruber92
You obviously haven't watched many games this year, thus you haven't got a clue as to how Lawrie hits. His strength is gap to gap but loves to go the other way. If anything, we need him to pull the ball more often.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Sir_BJay

"If anything, we need him to pull the ball more often."

Are you nuts?

Most of the balls he hit last year that caused his GB% spike were hit to the left side, it looked like he was trying too hard to pull the ball, and ended up topping them. That's just as bad as grounding to the left side.

This graph shows what I mean.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/brett-lawrie/hitchart/1254987?q=brett-lawrie

"His strength is gap to gap but loves to go the other way."

Then if it ain't broke why did they have to try and fix it?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • jaysnyny

You're missing the point - I was not talking about his spray chart, I was merely providing a single illustration. Lawrie doesn't play what I (or Omar Vizquel) would call a sound tactical game; instead he plays aggressively (good, usually) but frequently crosses the line into recklessness (bad, usually). Not sure if that's what I want from my #2 hitter.

If you want to disagree, and assert that Lawrie is an astute tactical player who understands his actions in the broader context of the ebb and flow of the game, be my guest - have at it! But you'll probably get a worse beat-down than you suffered from your last post.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • s33n
thank you. Gibbons seems to be a likeable guy, he won me over a bit with his positive attitude and honesty.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • DieHardJayFan

I think Lawrie is perfectly suited for the 2 hole. He goes the other way for fun!!

What a great piece on Gibbons.

Can't wait!!!

GO JAYS GO!!!
#BlueJays2013BELIEVE!!!

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Captain Obvious using his unique baseball sense again
Latest by MagicPuppy - 8:39 PM
Apr 23 v O's
Latest by null2 - 8:01 PM
Greg Zaun nails it.
Latest by sempai - 7:08 PM