• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Non-Jays move: Red Sox and Napoli agree to one-year deal
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • dizzle4

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/01/17/source-mike-napoli-red-sox-reach-agreement/

According to a major league source, the Red Sox and Mike Napoli have reached an agreement on what is believed to be a one-year deal. The two sides had been renegotiating an agreed upon three-year, $39 million contract since concerns arose regarding the free agent first baseman’s hip after a team administered physical. The original deal was agreed upon on Dec. 3.

---

I saw last night rumors that the deal would be for less than $13M (the AAV on the initial contract). That must have been one awful physical.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sinasdf

So how does this set up their 2014 catching spot? Don't they have some hot shot catching prospect that will be ready by then?

I wonder what the effect of the 1 year deal is on Salty.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • dizzle4
I don't believe they're planning on using Napoli at catcher (much) with Saltalamacchia and David Ross on the roster, and Ryan Lavarnway in the picture as well. I think they view Napoli as their first baseman.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls

Wow. Did his value ever plummet in one season. Why is he accepting a one year deal in Boston?

It's a strange drop from the 3 year 39M tentative deal they were talking about in November...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sinasdf

That's what puzzles me.

I suppose he wants to establish his value again since he had a relatively down year last year.

But if he's a 1B he's gonna lose a lot of value, and he's getting older.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls
A 1 year deal seems a gamble on his part. Plenty of offensively starved teams would probably have been willing to give him 2-3 years at 10M plus. I'd think. But maybe not...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls
Must be health related concerns. And questions about whether he can still catch or not.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls
And I tell you, that Rangers lineup isn't half as scary as it was in 2011 and 2012. I can't see them making it to the World Series again soon. They might not even make the playoffs this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • dizzle4
The other side of it is that the market has dried up since the beginning of December when he initially 'agreed' with the Red Sox, and other teams that would have been interested have went in different directions. He had very little leverage.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • shardik

1 year 5M - crazy.

@JonHeymanCBS - Napoli got $5M for the 1 year. #redsox

Edited 1/17/13   by  shardik
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Angrioterr
HIV, Cancer, Malaria
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • shardik
We'll have to see Lind and Napoli in the battle of the 5M contracts of no defensive value.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • jayswin11
1 year at 5mil, ouch. Coming from 3/39. Wonder what is wrong?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls

What? 5M?

Holy <crap

I actually feel bad for the guy. But he's playing for the Red Sox so I have to hope for a bad year. Sorry Nap. :(

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls

Malaria is a Haiti thing my friend. Watch out for those Mosquitos.

Haiti - Malaria

India - Plague

Trinidad - Roving bands of pirates

Colombia - gun toting cartel members

Places I no want to visit.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Angrioterr
lol
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • sinasdf
Dominican - ransom thugs
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Sammy225

I think Naps will benefit greatly in Fenway (the Jason Bay effect). And on a 1 year deal he could get a bit of a pay day come next off season just like Jason Bay.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • gsnarls
Is there also much malaria in the DR? It always seemed odd that two countries attached by land had such different levels of warning about it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Angrioterr
Venezuela, No DR
  • Reply to this Message