• Welcome Guest
Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Francona: The Red Sox Years
  • To:All
  • 1/15/13
  • raysjays2

New book coming out on Jan. 22 called Francona: The Red Sox Years.

Here's an excerpt according to SI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130115/terry-francona-red-sox-excerpt-sports-illustrated.ap/?sct=uk_t2_a3

Apparently, the Red Sox have issues with meddlesome ownership more focused on star power than fundamental baseball, which is why they haven't contended since 2009. Apparently, the owners wanted a "sexy" team with marketable stars. Even the Yankees don't pull this garbage--which is part of the reason they've contended every year since 1995.

Based on these comments, it shows that the Red Sox ownership is more interested in boosting ratings for NESN rather than building a fundamentally sound team, with no commitment towards developing a core.

Rogers doesn't pull this garbage--at least we waited until the time is right to make trades to make our roster competitive.

Edited 1/15/13   by  raysjays2
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • gsnarls
Interesting. And not surprising about the "star power".
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • masterbather
francona whoring himself like this is quite sad. It's also one side of the story. I don't think Francona would trade his years in Boston for anything, he really should be thankful for it.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 88473.4 through 88473.5 were deleted
  • 1/15/13
  • jaysjays07
<You are a retarded troll. No one listens to you and most have you blocked for a reason.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • thehurl

<Reputable writers in the Boston area have talked about the Red Sox ownership for years. Ownership in Boston are scum, they've always been. If I had to trust my life with an owner I'd choose Loria before Henry.

As for Rogers, the new board has already started to interfere with the Leafs, I could see it happening with the Jays.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • masterbather
There is speculation that the interference is from the Bell side. Has there been any rumblings that Rogers has interfered with baseball operations over the years? I really haven't heard or read much about that since they've taken ownership. I don't see why that would suddenly change.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • thehurl
never that I've heard of. Truthfully with the Jays I'd be much more concerned with Beeston interference.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • raysjays2
Burke would've been fired anyway. How many playoff appearances does he have with the Leafs? None! And the team got worse under his tenure--he traded Seguin and Hamilton(Dougie) for Phil Kessel, players who could be helping the Leafs now.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • thehurl
so you think AA will get fired with the Jays not making the playoffs this year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • masterbather

he didn't trade Seguin and Hamilton, he traded the picks that ended up being Seguin and Hamilton. By the way we got a player from that trade who is helping us now. Hamilton has done nothing at the NHL level yet, so let's not crown him, and Seguin is not better than Kessel at this point. <It's amazing how much people shit on Kessel in Toronto. The guy is a consistent and proven scorer. He is exactly what he was supposed to be when he was traded for.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • silvergun

emphatic +1.

mid-first rounders are typically guys like Antropov, Colaiacovo, Steen, Tlusty, etc... they'll help your team, but if you're offered Phil Kessel (legitimate star talent) for 2-3 of them, it's a deal you have to make.

even considering the trade's basically blown up in his face worst case scenario style, as you say it's still not even that terrible a deal, as of right now.

also people ignore/forget he got a very nice haul for Kaberle, whose play has promptly fallen off a cliff.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • checkuptime

Did Beeston ever interfere with Gillick?

I know they were good friends so their relationship might of been different.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • thehurl
I don't think so, my concern is that he thinks he knows baseball but doesn't have a clue. Guys like that in a position of veto power/influence are always a concern.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • pulk_pull

And Beauchemin.... Lupul and Gardiner

And the Phaneuf trade....

Not to mention that our farm now looks respectable compared to before.

Burke wasn't the problem, Burke's timetable was.

• Reply to this Message