Toronto Blue Jays

Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• OT : Gomez released by Canadiens
  • To:All
  • 1/13/13
  • PuppyWorld

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650128&navid=nhl:topheads

Should Leafs look into giving him a chance in Toronto?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • labadee
He's still on contract with the team, just not playing so he can be bought out. The leafs would have to trade for him which they will not, and should not do.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • jaysblue
He's American, so I'm sure the other 23 teams in the U.S. would love to have Scott Gomez on their clubs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/13/13
  • PuppyWorld

Do you happen to know the buy out details of the guy?

thanks

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • labadee

haven't really got a clue. all i know is that you can't buy out a player if he's injured, so the canadiens aren't taking the risk. They're just paying him his salary right now to stay at home and will buy him out in the offseason...

after googling it, capgeek.com says it'll be 3 million over 2 years.

Edited 1/14/13   by  labadee
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • bren6
the Habs have a few bad/badish contracts that they need to figure something out with.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/14/13
  • B_T_S
Just Gomez and Kaberle, both of whom will be bought out in a few months.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jays1960
Just got potentially more interesting. The NHL and NHLPA have agreed in principle on a new accelerated buyout for situations like this. MTL could put Gomez on waivers and if he passes, then they can buy him out this year. They'd still get the cap hit (I think less $900k I think) but in subsequent years they'd have less of a hit. The article on TSN suggests that there's not a huge advantage to MTL to do so (as they're still taking the cap hit) but it could be seen as a "favour" to the player. If MTL goes this route and if the Leafs can get him on the cheap - maybe an option.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • wilko
Wouldn't they also do this so the player doesn't have a chance to get "injured"?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • jays1960
I suppose - that's probably one of the reasons why they've agreed with this to hopefully try to avoid players having to sit out a season. Bottom line though is that MTL is going to have to pay his salary for this season, regardless if he's sitting at home or playing through someone else. From what I understand, if there was more than a 1 year left, then they're responsible for a lesser amount of future years, but for a 1 year contract (left) I don't think it affects the bottom line for MTL much one way or the other.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • PuppyWorld

New NHL Android app came out, Rick!!

Did you ever try to view this board or make posts on this board on your phone?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/16/13
  • jays1960

Just via my web browser, that's all. First Android phone I've had, believe it or not - liking it very much.

EDIT: Gomez was officially put on waivers today. It'll be interesting to see who picks him up - I'm sure someone will take the chance.

Edited 1/16/13   by  jays1960
  • Reply to this Message
Message 88456.13 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • silvergun

lol seriously, Gomez on that contract?

it might well have been the worst signing in NHL history if not for Redden's deal, I think?

outside of the first year, anyway... nothing else that spectacularly fail stands out in my head at least.

Edited 1/17/13   by  silvergun
Edited 1/17/13   by  silvergun
  • Reply to this Message
Message 88456.15 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • PuppyWorld

Wade Redden bought out by Rangers

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650919&navid=nhl:topheads

Redden had five goals and 40 points in 156 regular-season games with the Rangers

That's kinda embarrassing unless your job is strictly defence and/or shot blocking

There are many defencemen who have more than 5 goals/40 points within one regular season

Now we see why Ottawa decided not to retain him

He was a pure force for Senators..... it is amazing how quickly some players can start declining

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Apr 23 v O's
Latest by DougAultHits2HRS - 7:15 PM
Greg Zaun nails it.
Latest by sempai - 7:08 PM
we will go to playoff 2014 if we..
Latest by mercanary - 6:14 PM
Infield out.
Latest by mercanary - 5:39 PM
Interesting Article on why Tommy John Surgery is so common
Latest by irsosmartfan - 4:55 PM