• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• To:All
  • 12/27/12
  • flaminpen
I wonder what the all out count would be for the total number of A's fans in their fan base? We certainly can't total it for how many show up for games, or even how many tickets are sold. It would be fun to find out, perhaps a national phone line to call.
Now, count the Santa Clara County population, which is much larger than Alameda County's, I believe it is close to 6 mil and lots of room to grow. San Jose already has a larger square mile radius than LA has, a larger county area too. Now take the Oakland fan base and add it to San Jose's hungry sport fans who will become A's fans by the thousands. They aren't satisfied with a AAA team, and they are Giant fans only because that's all there is...and believe it, a lot of San Jose and Santa Clara County inhabitants already are A's fans. Greyhound buses go to every game, and they also drop off folks at Bart in Fremont...one reason Wolff toyed with the idea of moving to Fremont. Any input?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • catfish71

Santa Clara County's population is only slightly larger than Alameda County's. (1.8 to 1.5 million) The entire Bay Area has about 7 million people and most of them live far from San Jose.

And if San Jose fans were so gung ho about being A's fans, where are they? Guess that drive is just too far for them. Or that long BART ride from Fremont directly to the park. Santa Clara County simply doesn't provide that many ticket sales for the A's and they never have. Over the years, A's attendance has generally been about 60% from Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.

Wolff wanted to move to Fremont because he hoped to defray the cost of building the stadium by building condos and a mall. The only problems were the collapsing real estate market and Fremont's lack of interest in having the team there. And the fact the nearest BART station was miles away. And the fact they were discussing shuttling thousands of people after every game to BART due to the lack of parking available at the site. And the traffic nightmare that would occur every game due to the lack of parking and only one freeway exit.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • cufc

Cat: In the master plan, they had the nerve to show a special BART link to that stadium/development and advertised it as having future BART access and rail access... Flat out lies.. Who was going to pay for that??? WOLFF????? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

San Jose is an after thought in the Bay Area... It is a gulch and a traffic pinch point nightmare... With a massive mountain range blocking eastern access to the Valley..

Oakland has reasonable access to the North Bay and Central Valley's vast populations that San Jose will never have... Unless, folks don't mind spending an average of over 2 extra hours getting there on week nights... And plenty of extra fuel too... 11/2 hours from Oakland at rush hour to San Jose is about average... That is a good time too.. To do 35 miles!!! ...

Wolff may get his wish to have the A's there... It will not be the success he thinks it will be, because people from the North Bay, Central Bay and Great Valley will not go there in vast numbers..

I think, the Earthquakes have proved this for a couple decades now... They had a great stadium at Spartan Stadium for years - they couldn't half fill... Had Wolff brought them north to Oakland ( also to the larger ethnic base that loves and supports soccer) he could have had 25,000 a game... No, he had to stay in San Jse with them and die...

Let them have them... Just get out now then... Don't screw with us anymore, Lew...

The myth of the vast Population there...

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 12/28/12
  • cufc

There is a bunch of heavy breathing San Jose boosters on here... I respect your desire to steal the club... Hwy you have driven for years tgo follow the A's - again respect... Just don't paint others who see you as trying to steal the club as not being true A's fans... That sickens me... Wolff can have the A's in his town...

I became an Oakland A's fan when they came here... I won't be when they leave... I was a Raiders fan when they first came to Oakland... When they left - they left me and when they returned I was long gone... I have talked to many A's fans, who feel the same as I do... Wolff is a fool to think the A's will take the base with them... He is a fool to think Giants fans there will soon convert over... It will not be soon enough for his needs if they ever do... It is a bad sad move IMO

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/1/13
  • flaminpen
I love the A's, I have been a loyal, die hard fan since they moved to Oakland from Kansas City. I used to live in San Jose where they never had any pro teams except the Earthquakes, the Giant AAA club generally did not satisfy the thirst for a good pro team.
I was once involved in the makings of a pro team which was going to be named the San Jose Flash, the funding never materialized and that was that, back in 1968.
I then became an A's fan...over the Giants that everyone I knew was giving me tickets to. I can say now that I like the Giants as my National League team. I since moved to the Santa Cruz mountains high above Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek!
My point is that I still make it to 48% of the A's home games...I used to live in San Francisco from 68' through 71' and in all that time I only attended a half dozen Giant games, but I drove the bridge to see the A's and had season tickets ever since. I am getting to be an old fa-rt and at times it is hard for me to get it together to drive the 98 miles to A's games, but my urge to go has never ceased! I really thank God for Bay Area sports and for my TV. Now if I can't attend a game I can watch it on my TV, regardless of what Bay Area team is playing.
I guess I sort of wanted them to move to San Jose or somewhere where it would cut my travel time to attend games. But now my grand-daughter will be able to drive me, she has been a solid A's fan since her 11th birthday when I took her to A's home games. She has just turned 16 and has a temporary permit and we just got our tickets for 2013, Yes! A's, here we come!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/1/13
  • glusv
Boy, you drive a long way, also live in a great area.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/1/13
  • flaminpen
You are right on both counts, but my mountain home IS my little bit of HEAVEN! I was so lucky; I found this 2 bedroom, 1 and 1/2 bath, living room, laundry room and a 2 car garage under the house...RED TAGGED property on 1 and 3/4 acres, of which 3/4 acres are BEAUTIFULLY wooded, the only thing higher is the Lockheed facility across from me and some 14 miles away. Me and 4 other property owners maintain our own private road of which I live at the end of. After some 5 years of renovating and upgrading, I now have 4 bedrooms, and 3 and 1/2 baths, a detached 2 car garage and a breeze-way, with a car-port to the side for my motor-home and extra vehicle. This past year we finally added a deck on the back of the house with a little gazebo.
We 5 property owners have our own well, and I have one of those, construction sized, w/wheels generators making sure I never run out of power.

Edited 1/1/13   by  flaminpen
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Tough loss, but great trip
Latest by dnrapp - 10:14 AM
Reddick Not In The Line-Up Again Today...
Latest by rw01 - 2:07 AM
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by esyiam - Apr-18
Great Starting Pitching - Bullpen Weak
Latest by bayfever - Apr-17
Reddick..how much longer?
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
C'mon mannn
Latest by repko23 - Apr-17
Reddick & Sutcliffe