• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Saltalamacchia vs Shoppach
  • To:All
  • 12/27/12
  • cufc

The Red Sox are looking to dish Salty...

And we need a catcher (I believe, this is the most common assessment on here of the position - Yes, Norris has his loyalists)

Thoughts on Salty or Shoppach (assuming healthy) coming to the A's - perhaps

Salty 27 YO - 2.5 mil last year - ARB ELI one more year - FA 2014 .... vs Shoppach 32 YO FA - last year 1.3 mil... Can't see him going for much over that ( maybe a good deal less) this season as most slots are filled at catcher now

Salty, more expensive, power hitter, costs the A's at least a decent MiLB prospect and is a lesser option on Defence vs Shoppach - a much better Defence, cheaper, less power. and costs a Draft pick???

I like Shoppach all the way... He is what we need - a quality defensive catcher that allows the A's to not have to feature Norris full time... If Norris is the future, there is no hurry in developing him without at least a stronger backup this way...

I do hope, the A's improve this position

Edited 12/27/12   by  cufc
Edited 12/27/12   by  cufc
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • LongBeach_Jake

I like Shoppach. I always believed he was underrated as a catcher much like Chris Iannetta.

I say give Norris a chance. I am high on his future production from the catcher position

• Reply to this Message
Message 62043.3 was deleted
  • 12/28/12
  • bh192012

Seems like Saltalamacchia would cost us more to perform similar to what we have, so I don't see a strong case to make a change. Shoppach, meh, more of the same problem.

This is given that Norris performs similarly to last year. The interesting question revolving around Norris, is the fact that's he's young. So he could regress (eeek!) or break out. Our fall back, Kottaras, isn't significantly different from Shoppach, Saltamacchia or Norris in my mind. Seems it's not hard to find slightly above replacement catchers. At this point it's like gambling, which one has a lucky year etc.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • cufc
You are one of the few Norris loyalist on here... Hope, you are right if we get stuck with them
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • cufc

Shoppacb is a solid defender... Norris - at least what we saw last year - is not...

Is Norris planning on growing a new arm over the winter???

It was not just footwork... Unless, a he needs a running start to throwing better - not good for the stop watch times on releases for MLB catchers

I looked for some comments that he was hurt last fall and that was the reason for his pathetically weak throwing... Never saw a thing about it... Have to assume, what we saw is what we get! That is scary...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • cufc
Jake: it is not about his hitting ... It is about his ability to play his position on defence at a MLB level...
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • LongBeach_Jake

Bob Melvin a former catcher will make sure he can field his position before he puts him out there.

I wonder if Melvin even has a choice though on who plays

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • bh192012

I agree that Shoppach has a very good cs%, but errors wise, Norris was technically slightly better last year. I think Salty had worse cs% than Norris but errors wise, was better. Also, I think Norris cs% is around league average.

That puts Norris somewhere between the two defensively in my mind, in both categories. That leaves offense, which between them.... meh whatever. That leaves salary and risk/upside/downside. Which is the main reason we don't have Suzuki. Why pay extra for average performance? I guess I just don't see it as enough of a difference to be worth it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • flaminpen
Oh yeah! B.B (the name of my parrot) gives Melvin a long leash, it was Melvin who saw fit to platoon at 1st and the outfield.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • flaminpen
Isn't that why we got Kottaras? For his hitting?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • cufc

Flame: i could never figure out why we picked up Kotty To be honest with ya...

Think they just needed someone who was not a raw rookie behind the dish once they knew they
has a salary dump deal going with Suzuki (when they were still in the race and in the end won their division - that tells ya how lucky we were last year). Could have used Suzuki's solid last 2 months and in the playoffs -we missed his bat, arm and glove...

What is Kotty's statue... Is he Arb eli??? Or what.... Have not thought about him much...

I really would like to see Donaldson get some reps in ST... See if he can throw accurate enough??? Have my doubts ... Thia maybe the reason for his shift to 3rd in the minors.. He sure has trouble throwing to 1st from 3rd

If we go with the same catching it is going to be a long year... Hope I'm wrong

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Tough loss, but great trip
Latest by repko23 - 9:13 AM
C'mon mannn
Latest by repko23 - 9:10 AM
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by gnandgld - 6:53 AM
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by phxmuni - 2:06 AM
Reddick & Sutcliffe
Latest by goAs2014 - Apr-16
Reddick..how much longer?
Latest by svt039 - Apr-16
This really chaps my Glutes!
Latest by catfish71 - Apr-16
Road Trip to date, 5-1 833 Winning %
Daric Barton batting .085 starting at first!
Latest by tenace18 - Apr-16
Happy, but......