• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• how successful will moneyball be in 2013?
  • 12/26/12
  • BeaneBall

Interesting that there was zero mention of the Rangers in the entire article. He must have them finishing 3rd or 4th.

I thought it was a pretty honest assessment. He made the assumption that Chris Young will be the DH and ignored Chris Carter and Seth Smith, however.

I must be overly enthusiastic about Nakajima, but I figure him to bat second, not Young who is more of a power bat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • glusv
Thanks for that post.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • A'sfan125
Thanks for the post. Pretty fair and honest. No WAY Bart is our number 1. Easily behind Parker and Anderson...even Milone and that was last year when he was cheating. I still cringe when I see Norris in the lineup. Are we going with him? Did anyone else see some serious things he needs to work on? Namely hitting, catching, and throwing. And Weeks.....Jemile....c'mon dude. What happened to you young man?

Edited 12/26/12   by  A'sfan125
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • austinborg
I have the Rangers 3rd. And I just based my assumptions off of the projected starting lineup on rotochamp.com
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • TiggerBounce

From the article:
"This is a fantastic young team, but I just can’t see them winning back-to-back AL West titles. I see the A’s finishing at 87-75 and capturing the #1 Wild Card spot."

I couldn't see them winning the division title in 2012. ... but they did. ;)

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • BeaneBall

"I couldn't see them winning the division title in 2012. ... but they did. ;)"

Hey Tigger,

I was a real optimist and thought they'd win 81 last year. Most thought they'd lose 100. As the Rangers and Angels discovered last year, you have to play the games. It would be sweet to win the AL West again.

I think the big disappointment this coming season will be the Dodgers. They are throwing money around like sailors on shore leave and are counting on the underachievers they have acquired to have breakout years. Not likely.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • TiggerBounce

<Dodgers>

Expectations have to be enormous, given the payroll they've forked out. Starting pitching looks strong and deep. I have to wonder if they stockpiled every SP they could lay their hands on so they'd have tasty bait for trades, or something. I really can't make sense of it.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • flaminpen
I think Norris will be alright, Kottaras is more accomplished at this time; Norris needs to work on his foot work and the accuracy of his throwing arm. I don't remember more than 2 throw outs at second base by him, although I did not see every game he caught.
Weeks, like Barton, need to learn to hit ML pitching. Weeks couldn't hit sliders or recognize them, Barton just needs to let loose instead of trying to walk all the time, he has a good eye for balls and strikes.
It will be a race between Sizemore and Weeks for the 2nd base job. I think Donaldson will vastly improve at third, he has a cannon for an arm, and I wouldn't count out Rosales at any of those infield positions, he does play them all.
First base concerns me the most; the platooning of Carter and Moss works ONLY if they can get the hitting production from the lefty-righty pitching matchups; otherwise it might not be enough bats to go around for each player and leaves slumping open to happen.
I also wonder if Young can settle for just being a DH. I heard he wasn't bad defensively and had a strong arm too. Let's see, we have: Cespedes, Crisp, Reddick, Smith, Young, Taylor all OF's wanting to play and all of them with a good arm except for Coco.
I posted it earlier, we do not have many holes in our team, I think we are in for a competitive season and it will be fun to watch. MLB has about reached parity among teams' players, except, perhaps the experience and of course, money. Ability-wise we are about there. Because of it all, baseball has been more and more fun to watch
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • A'sfan125
As a team that will win with pitching I am concerned about the defense up the middle. Seems we have sorted out shortstop. 2b could be an adventure and I really, really wish they'd bring in a solid defensive catcher (read: not George Kottaras) to give Norris a chance to learn/grow or even go back down to AAA. Norris was thrown in the fire last year and was a disaster imo towards the end of the season. I agree the team doesn't have too many holes but things (as you mentioned) could fall apart if the infield doesn't break the right way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • flaminpen
About the middle; I really feel that Weeks has all the talent to succeed there; I don't know much at all about Sizemore. When he got hurt etc., wasn't that the reason we got Inge? So, was he a 2nd or 3rd baseman originally...there is a world of difference between the two spots. I know, I played both of those positions, way back in high school. I played behind the plate in college at USF in San Francisco.
You are right about finding help for Norris. Isn't he who we got for Suzuki? We have had some good ones in the past! I agree about sending Norris back to AAA to work out his kinks, unless he does it in ST.
To be honest; I have more concerns over the pitching, the sophomore jinxes, etc. At times last year, especially toward the end of the season we really abused the bull-pen. Hopefully they won't be all that pressed this year and our pitching staff holds up and remains healthy. Hey...we have a lot of pitching prospects all over the minor leagues.

Edited 12/27/12   by  flaminpen
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • catfish71
Another USF Don on this board? Woo Hoo!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • A'sfan125
Sizemore's natural position is 2b I believe. Some thought he showed a lot of promise in 2011. I wasn't impressed but I wasn't unimpressed either. The fact that Detroit gave him away doesn't tell me great things but maybe he'll pan out. Weeks has 3x the talent Sizemore does but it isn't any good if he can't figure it out. We got a scrub for Suzuki. Norris was a key part of the trade that we supposedly fleeced the Nationals on with Gio. Killed the bully last year but having a healthy Anderson for the whole year and having a year under the belt may counteract any overuse/sophmore slumps. Not concerned at all about the pitching....strongly concerned about all 5 infield positions. Watching highlight reels of the Japanese league is great but I need to see it for myself with the new shortstop. I like Donaldson, think Carter had his moment, am hopeful Weeks will bounce back, think Moss is a real major leaguer who needs to platoon, think Barton has no business even being on the 40 man roster, think Kottaras is fine if we sign a veteran righthander to start at c, and think Norris belongs in AAA.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • flaminpen
Thanks for that post; I really don't care for Kottaras except for Norris to learn from him. I think we shop for a good veteran catcher high on defense and dangle Kottaras, Barton and a prospect or draft choice for a trade, Ryan would be my choice, fair bat, good mechanics, good arm.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • A'sfan125
The only thing Norris would learn from Kottaras is how to hit a bomb every 20 ab's. Kottaras' fielding is terrible which is why the left handed hitting catcher with power was obtained for nothing from the Brewers. Don't think he has any trade value. I'd trade Barton for a Taco Bell coupon. We'd probably have throw something else in though to make it fair.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • flaminpen
You too? I graduated in '74 but first attended in '70, left for 2 years to go to SJ City College for my associate degree and then I had a scholarship for USF in 73.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/28/12
  • catfish71
Class of 1983 here. My senior year was the first year after they dropped basketball. The school looks so different from when I was there with so much new construction, additions, etc.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/29/12
  • rushhead
No wonder we like the same music! Class Of 1986!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/30/12
  • flaminpen
Now I am feeling elderly!
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by phxmuni - 2:06 PM
Best Bullpen in MLB is a joke!
Latest by Asfanlouky - 11:39 AM
Blown again....
Latest by repko23 - 9:40 AM