• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• 2013-The return of the Pathetics
Message 62039.1 was deleted
  • 12/22/12
  • flaminpen
Thank you for your optimism. Yeah the only Jokeland you'll find will be in your mind!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • LongBeach_Jake

We will see if the A's season from 2012 was a fluke it was not

At least for you Texass is finished so you may have a chance at second

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • cufc

Jake: One has to be excited if they are an Angels fan... But that said, they should have been last year too... Look what happened... Most folks here have the Halos dominating on paper

I expect regression by the 2013 A's.... However, I think they have a good club now just with some holes... I see them as a 500 club next year with a chance to do better than that...

Factors - Rated against the league 1 - 10

1. Young SP pitchers repeating success and good health... Outlook 6.5 - 7 very solid / injury ??
2. Bull Pen repeating success.... Outlook 7 - 7.5 Good to very good
3. Pitching help from Minors like last year Outlook 4 - 4.5 Not much left there
4. Hitting overall Outlook 5 - 5.5 Average
5. Power hitting Outlook 8 - 8.5 Very good to excellent
6. Baserunning Outlook 6 - 6.5 Solid.. May improve
7. Infield defence including catching Outlook 3.5 - 4 Poor across infield
8. Outfield defense Outlook 8.5 - 9 Top flight
9. Last years "luck and team energy" being a 10 Outlook <5>?? How does it repeat??
10. Help from Minors in the field Outlook 4 - 4.5 Not much ready
11. A's Minors vets help... Outlook 4 -8 Normally good ????? -to early to tell yet...

Jake: It is not nice to wind up other team's MBs ... I assume, you are a young person... If not, get help.. It is out there to be had...

Edited 12/23/12   by  cufc
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • LongBeach_Jake

The bullpen suc ked last year. With a decent bullpen the Angels would have won close to 100.

This Angel team is different and is built like the Yankees in regards on how they beat you. This Angel team will try to get to your bullpen early while trusting their own to shut you down. Difference, though, is the Yankees play in a hitters park

Edited 12/23/12   by  LongBeach_Jake
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • cufc

Jake: Let's leave the comparisons to Las Vegas for now...

Think without looking the Angels must be amoung the top 3 favorites ... The A's are most likely not in the top 10 teams (and should not be)..

Angels needs are their Bullpen to be healthy.. Nothing certain about Madson... They lean out a bit without him there this year...

And to find a couple more experienced bench hitters... Calhoun and Romine might be good players but they may serve the team better as depth in the minors

Will they trade SP Richards before the start of the season???? For a bat???

I like Bartlett for them - as I like him for the A's if healthy...

Where the Angels have it over the A's - they still have a pure DH slot open if they choose to go in that direction and plenty of money - what about Delmon Young???

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • LongBeach_Jake

The bigger question is who will win the final outfield spot Bourjos or Wells. Knowing the Angels it is Vernon's spot to lose. Best case is whoever wins the spot is slated in the second spot so the lineup can protect like they did with Torii.

Richards and Hanson will fight for the final rotation spot with the loser going to the pen.

Romine and Calhoun both in my opinion need at bats. That is why Dipoto brought in some older middle infielders.

The A's should wait out Berkman and see if his price drops. I think, though, Beane is holding onto the money for either a future move or to re sign some of your young rotation.

The A's- Angel rivarly is now important again so that is good.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • cufc

Bergman is not in our target range... We have a log jam at the DH with 5 good hitting OFs and 2 1st baseman... He is the last guy to waste 7 figure money on for the A's... Don't see him in 6 figures..

I see Wells having a good (well better) 400 + AB season... Some vets do better at that level of ABs... Harold Baines was such a case with his splits ( he was much better at 400 AB than 600) ... Wells is not that easy though... I have a feeling he bouches back a bit this year..

I wuld have thought Hanson was a slam dunk... You have real goos depth at SP now... Must feel good

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/24/12
  • LongBeach_Jake

The Angels always have kept depth in the rotation for the last 10 years

Everyone has waited on Wells to come around but most now have gave up on him. I truly believe Bourjos deserves the job more and would make the team better in the lineup everyday.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/25/12
  • flaminpen
Do you still live in Long Beach Jake?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/25/12
  • LongBeach_Jake
I have been staying in Sunset Beach the last 6 years.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/25/12
  • flaminpen
I could swear I ran into someone with that moniker at the race track...U by any chance? (1993)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • TiggerBounce

<The Angels always have kept depth in the rotation for the last 10 years>

Where are they keeping the depth this year? Dodger Stadium?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • LongBeach_Jake
No. That is where the second team of Southern California play. The Dodgers. It is entertaining how they keep trying to catch up with the Angels and Giants.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • LongBeach_Jake
93. I was only ten so I doubt it was me.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/26/12
  • TiggerBounce

<It is entertaining how they keep trying to catch up with the Angels and Giants. >

Trying to catch up with the Giants would make sense. Not sure why the Dodgers would want to "catch up" with a team that placed third in their division and has a weak starting rotation that lacks depth.

Maybe the Angels have a secret weapon for their outfielders or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqzUjdChqEQ

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • catfish71

Most recent playoff appearances

Angels-2009
A's-2012

Halos Payroll in 2010-2012---nearly 500 million
A's payroll-roughly $200 million

'Nuff said.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • catfish71
Second team? LOL. They only outdraw the Halos every year and of course their payroll is much larger. But keep telling yourself that a team from Anaheim that is so insecure they have to put LA in their name is somehow the #1 team in SoCal.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • TiggerBounce

<so insecure>

You aint seen nuthin', Catfish.

"Time for you to start to respect the Halos"
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-astros&tid=86889

Now THAT'S insecure. ;)

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • rushhead

Absolutely Classic!!

Reminds me of "FLUBBER!"

That's the Angels and their lame a r s e fans! LOSERS!

Yeah there will be a Dodgers Angels World Series in 2013. HAHAHAHA!!!

The A's and Giants have a better shot!

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
BB mistakes this off season
Latest by hvlniners - 7:25 PM
Embarrassing
Latest by bmartin58i - 7:06 PM
Best Bullpen in MLB is a joke!
Latest by repko23 - 6:23 PM
Choice.
Latest by phxmuni - 6:16 PM
A's have no game today