• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• A Cuban Roomate For Cespedes???
  • To:All
  • 12/22/12
  • cufc

Aledmis Diaz Shortstop is available.. A good national team player 22 YO ( think this is wrong and he is 24)...

Betcha, Billy has someone at the try out in Mexicali, Mexico on Jan. 5th...

Read he is A level... Betcha, he is AAA level and could play in the majors this year in a pinch...

He is a fast tracker.... Hope, the A's grab him

Edited 12/22/12   by  cufc
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • diceydog99

From Bleacher Report --- Los Angeles Times
Cuban players Dariel Alvarez and Aledmis Diaz officially have been declared free agents, according to Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald. First reported by Mark Sanchez of MLB.com on Nov. 27, both players were expected to hit the open market in early December after establishing residency in Mexico.
Diaz, 22, was playing with the Cuban National team when he defected last summer and had played in Cuba’s premier league, Serie Nacional, since 2007. Regarded as the more advanced player, comparatively, the 6’1”, 185-pound shortstop has a projectable bat with power potential, as well as solid range and a strong arm.
Alvarez, a 24-year-old outfielder, also defected from Cuba last summer after playing in the Serie Nacional. However, unlike Diaz, the 6’2”, 190-pounder has been playing in front of scouts for a professional team in Vera Cruz, Mexico.
Because both players have played at least three seasons in a Cuban league and are at least 23 years old—Diaz will turn 23 in early January—they will be exempt from the international spending restrictions under the new collective bargaining agreement and free to command a larger contract.
Several Cuban prospects received large contracts last season, the most notable being the A’s Yoenis Cespedes who signed a four-year, $36 million deal last February and subsequently served as the driving force behind the team’s upstart offense. Two more outfielders signed with a big league team in June, as the Dodgers signed Yasiel Puig to a seven-year, $42 million deal, and the Cubs locked Jorge Soler into a nine-year, $30 million contract.
While neither player will be given a monster contract like the aforementioned outfielders, Diaz is likely to draw more interest than Alvarez given his advanced bat and speed, as well as the ability to play a premium position. He’s only a few years away from being big league-ready and would likely start the 2013 season at an organization’s Class-A affiliate with a chance to move quickly.
Although it’s currently unknown which organizations might be interested, teams such as the Pittsburgh Pirates, Minnesota Twins or San Diego Padres, who each lack a legitimate shortstop prospect, could be interested.

My comment: Certainly worth a gamble. Not much to lose, as long as it doesn't cost Addison Russell playing time in Stockton. Russell was fantastic in Rookie League and after a short stint in low Class A. But the California League has been the real litmus test for presumed prospects. Ask A.J. Cole.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • cufc

I really think, this man is beyond the level of Single A... If not at 24, he will not be worth the millions it will take to land him... He was 22 playing in Cuba in 2011 and that season is over before ours starts here... So, I think 24 YO is probably closer to his age

He should be near MLB ready - if not ready IMO..

The tryouts will tell... Hope, the A's are aggressive here... They have a good sales tool in Cespedes... What the A's did last year must be exciting for a young player like Diaz.... And Nakajima is OK at playing 3rd too....

Forget Russel for the time being.. This is player is perfect for the Russel developement process anyways...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • cufc

One must temper ones excitement with the knowledge that Cuban players success rate is not that much better than Japanese players here... Think it is a cultural thingy more than a talent thingy...

Not that many have been former Nat Team Cubans though

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/22/12
  • flaminpen
Please...NO conspiracies allowed; (smile) I have heard of Diaz on Twitter, and, supposedly he and Cespedes know of each other exchanging compliments toward each others' talents. It would be good to have a solid ss backup, just in case! As stated earlier, he is 90% ready and he IS a power hitter as well as a shot-gun hitter, he will hit where they ain't.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • cufc
Flame: It boils down to money
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/23/12
  • flaminpen
and let us not forget FANS...without them there is NO MONEY.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/13
  • cufc

Aledmys Diaz was supposed to tryout was 2 days ago... Think it was the on 5th... Wonder if the A's were there.. MLB Trade Rumors had a blurb on him today... They said 10 teams are interested.... Hope, the A's are the most interested..

We need some more miracles quick... I say, he is near ready..

Sign him, Billy... Screw Lew!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/7/13
  • LongBeach_Jake
ESPN Insider had an article claming that St. Louis was big on Diaz and the other Cuban who tried out with him
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • bh192012
I thought we just signed a Short Stop?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • cufc
BH: Nakajima can play 3rd... And the Cuban would most likely be sent to the minors first anyways
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • BeaneBall

"BH: Nakajima can play 3rd"

I can't find any record of Nakajima ever playing third base. I found that he played first base for one game last year.

The videos of his defense look very good but his arm strength doesn't look overpowering by any means. His throws are a little "David Ecksteinish".

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • flaminpen
He MAY/or NOT be able to play 3rd...but his arm may only be good for a force-out at 2nd. Donaldson has a canon for an arm...and he WILL HAVE IMPROVED defensively or he may lose his job to Rosales or Sizemore, both of whom have good arms, and then there is Sogard as well. I thought if Sogard could get some regular playing time, maybe platooning, he could develop a pretty good power bat, so could Rosales.
In the end it's the old adage: ..." if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! But every player on the team should have a "First Aid" Shadow in cases of right and left handed bats...injuries etc.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • BeaneBall
I thought Sogard played nice defense and had some pop. It is difficult to judge a player who has had so little time in MLB. He might be a surprise this season if he gets the opportunity.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • LongBeach_Jake
Is Brandon Inge no longer on the Oakland roster
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • flaminpen
NOPE!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • cufc

Beane and Flame: I had read Nakajima had played some third in Japan - perhaps, even in the WBBC.... Read it before we had even signd him... We will see

I think, there is no problem with his arm strength... Rather, it is his footwork, short armed release that creates a bunch of action on his throws (from the videos I saw) and his decision making - We will see..

Again, if he turns out to be another Donaldson (who has trouble hitting the broad side of a barn - let alone 1st base with his throws - our first basemen better be ready for double duty...

Could be an adventure...

Diaz is depth... Maybe, the real deal... Why not sign him if the price is right???

Let Green languish... And there is no guarantee that Sizemore will not be at best rusty out of the box and at worst damaged goods from a very serious injury... The guy has missed almost a year. remember... I have trouble penciling him in still... ST will answer almost all though... He could wind up needed time in AAA to get back on the beam...

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • flaminpen
Wouldn't you think the A's would go the distance? After-all he would be a comrade to Cespedes and compliment our hitting. We are going to need more timely hits this year than last year...how many runners were left on base? I hear Diaz is a scatter hitter and has fairly good power, a lot of doubles! We need a lot of that kind of hitting. He too would make a great lead off hitter when Coco has his off-days!
I say spend the money on him...so far St. Louis has really been giving him the "red carpet" treatment.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • flaminpen
I thought maybe platooning him at 2nd and ss spelling Nakijama occasionally. I love to see Rosales hit a homer with a man on...he will darn near run him over from behind once he rounds 1st base. Also, he too can play at ss, the out-field, maybe a try at third...would Diaz play at 3rd? I don't know a thing about Sizemore except that he went through a horrific injury. I heard 2nd is his regular position, he hasn't played in over a year and he hasn't played much at 3rd. Do you know where Inge ended up? Boston? The Rockies? Man! He would hit a lot of homers at Coors Field!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • BeaneBall

I'm a fan of Rosales, too. He busts it to first when he walks and sprints around the bags when he homers. I love to see that level of hustle.

"would Diaz play at 3rd?"

You've got me there. Who is Diaz? Do you mean Matt Diaz? If so, he signed a minor league deal with the Yankees on Dec. 26.

"Do you know where Inge ended up?"

As far as I know, Brandon Inge is a free agent, so anyone can sign him. I believe his is still unemployed.

• Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Can't We Remodel the Coliseum?
Latest by BeaneBall - 3:04 PM
Tough loss, but great trip
Latest by dnrapp - 10:14 AM
Reddick Not In The Line-Up Again Today...
Latest by rw01 - 2:07 AM
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by esyiam - Apr-18
Great Starting Pitching - Bullpen Weak
Latest by bayfever - Apr-17
Reddick..how much longer?
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
C'mon mannn
Latest by repko23 - Apr-17
Reddick & Sutcliffe