• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Your New A's Dreamchart # 8
  • To:All
  • 12/18/12
  • cufc

Catcher - Shoppach (or another), Donaldson --- Rosales backup backup catcher???? Norris in Minors
1st Moss, Cespedes, Donaldson. Yes, the big guy here to save wear and tear and free up the OF slots
2nd Sizemore, Green, Rosales -- Weeks traded or minors
3rd Nakajima, Sizemore, Rosales, Green, Cespedes, Donaldson...
SS Bartlett, Nakajima, Rosales, Green
OF Cespedes, Crisp, Reddick, Young, Smith, Green
DH Carter, Young, Smith, Reddick, Moss, Cespedes... If Carter goes off big - like I have feeling he might - Cespedes must find and infield spot to liven up the lineup (Cespedes is a good infielder - once a top shortstop in Cuba.. He should handle 1st or 3rd OK... Not saying the best option at 3rd)

14 offensive players... No Carter on Defense at all... And Donaldson can only play 3rd when the ball is not going to be hit there and there are no runners on base!!!!

5 SP...
6 RP...

11 Pitchers is the tough one... The A's will have to play the DFA and Option game well here

Green would have to have his bags packed at all times...

How are Carter's options looking .... Carter really has to hit to stay up..

Smith is the player on the bubble in the OF... He is a good player - But the other 4 OFers are clearly above him now... Ya never know though.... If Carter hits big.... PT for Smith drys up... Unless, Cespedes plays somewhere in the infield at times...

The DFA rule is just not abused enough (a nice fat envelope to keep the player happy while on it).... HAHAHAHAHA

Look, I know this is not the conventional wisdom of the tight poopoo hole MLB types ... Why not???... It might be fun and might work well too...

Edited 12/18/12   by  cufc
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • cufc

I really think, MLB teams should keep more non regular catcher players involved in catching duties... The idea carrying 2 or even 3 catchers (1 or 2 with nego bats normally and other field position limitations ) is appalling... It is the one place, I would sacrifice some pitching effectiveness and D for the sake of greater overall team depth and flexibility...

Wonder what the Sabermetrics are on this????

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • Asfanlouky

C-Napoli
1b-moss man/carter
2b-Sizemore/weeks
3b-Donaldson
Ss-nakajima
Lf-cespedes
Cf-young
Rf-reddick
Dh-carter/smith/Rosales

Bench-crisp, kottaras, green

A'S FOREVER

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/18/12
  • macksman

Not bad, but I believe the A's management sees Norris as their opening day catcher. We won with Norris and Kottaris as our catchers. Hopefully Norris will improve behind the plate and his hitting.

I agree that the 2B job is Sizemore'stion to lose, but I think his main competion comes from Green. I think Weeks has to improve hist hitting, fielding, and his attitude. That sort of puts him at a great disadvantage.

The outfield is certainly a strong suit. I believe we will start the season with Crisp in CF. I could be wrong, but ST will settle who starts there.

Our Starters will be Anderson, Parker, Milone, Colon, and Griffin unless Strailey has a phenomenal ST. Relievers should be Blackley - long relief - Neshek or Scribner, Blevins, Norberto, Doolittle, Cook, and Balfour.

• Reply to this Message
Messages 62027.5 through 62027.6 were deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • keepcoco
If Barton's presence causes the exit of Moss or Carter, I would be dissapointed. Got a better chance of one of those 2 developing into a reliable 1B more so than Barton, that guy has gotten enough chances (even on a team that does not have the ability to land Big FA 1B). At this point it would be better to take a flier on that tandem than settle for a guy that seems to have a very low ceiling.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62027.8 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • dnrapp
Donaldson would be the emergency 3rd catcher next year. Why would the A's keep someone on the roster just because he played catcher 5 years ago in the low minors when you have someone who played catcher in the majors last year?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • tenace18

"He will also be an excellent backup for Norris and whoever is the other one as a catcher will be..."

The last time Daric Barton played catcher was for ONE game in 2005 at Single-A Stockton. That's EIGHT years ago! How exactly does that make him "an excellent backup catcher" for the 2013 A's? That is an absolutely ridiculous assertion.

"Do not under estimate Barton now that he is fully healthy"

Interestingly, Barton's allegedly bad shoulder didn't stop him from putting up a very "healthy" .844 OPS in 70 games at AAA last year. It appears quite obvious to me that Barton's problem is not his "health" - his problem is his inability to hit Major League Pitching.

Edited 12/19/12   by  tenace18
Edited 12/19/12   by  tenace18
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • cufc

I like this extra catcher thingy... Have Barton work on it at AAA.... He is a good fielder with a good arm... Why not??... Good catch there I had forgotten that about Barton...

My only objection was and is - the "ARM" Norris showed us in the playoffs... Was he hurt??? Or is it really that weak all the time.... Those youth baseball like throws to 2nd were beyond ugly to behold..

Simple - No MLB catcher can throw like that!!!!

You must remember often catcher is a place BB players don't want to get stuck at... It is a brutal job during the game and in practice... "Bullpen Catcher" is the worst label a player can where in higher levels of BB... Players avoid it like the plague... It is hard hot work in the summer...

If it was the difference in staying or not making MLB... Betcha, Rosales (or someone like him) could be made a decent backup catcher over not so long of a period...

Believe me, the mysteries of catching are being overstated... It is like being a member of a club... A Lot of the talk is just ring bumping malarkey..

The A's need to do things differently given their $$$$ issues.... And we are only talking backup here... It might be fun one game out of 6 or so to see...

The International Botherhood Catchers would go crazy about this....

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • macksman
Let me go out on a limb with this prediction: Barton will not be on the 25 man roster!
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62027.13 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • diceydog99
Don't discount the Resop factor. I think you have to account for him on the 25-man roster. The A's didn't give up a lot to get him, but he fits in well in the as the replacement for Miller, kind of a right-handed Blevins.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62027.15 was deleted
  • 12/19/12
  • Asfanlouky

This thread has just gotten silly now. Barton su cks.

A'S FOREVER

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • bh192012

Ok, between this thread and another, I just can't take it anymore. Barton is a well paid bucket.

You can set it up next to the plate and watch as it either draws a walk or strikes out looking.

You can lean it up next to 1st base and throw balls at it.

In a pinch it can act as backup catcher.

........... Sorry correction, bucket is a switch hitter, and Barton may be more like a slightly larger barrel while manning 1st base.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • dnrapp
I think it is a stupid idea to have barton start catching again. If the A's didn't think he could catch when they traded for him what makes anyone think he can now
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/19/12
  • dnrapp
That is even a worse idea than having him catch.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62027.20 was deleted
Recent Discussions
Doolittle extension
Latest by catfish71 - 2:13 AM
Can't We Remodel the Coliseum?
Latest by catfish71 - 1:56 AM
Bob Melvin, Jim Johnson
Latest by eastbayer - 1:14 AM
Congrats
Latest by A'sfan125 - Apr-20
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by cufc2 - Apr-20
Fuld has been DFA
Latest by condemned - Apr-20
Where Do The A's Finish In The West
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-20
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by rw01 - Apr-20
Reddick WALKOFF!
Latest by A'sfan125 - Apr-20
Reddick Not In The Line-Up Again Today...
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-19