• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Rosario
  • To:All
  • 12/10/12
  • GreenElephant
We trade Godfrey for Rosario and then we watch Rosario get taken from us. Can someone explain this move before I write a troll post?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • macksman
Sorry, but I must have missed something. Did we trade Rosario? I wasn't aware that hhe was a free agent. A little help please.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • tenace18
This is one of those situations where I truly question Billy's sanity. On November 28th, Billy acquired Sandy Rosario from Boston in exchange for a player to be named later. On November 30th Billy DFA'd Rosario. Then Graham Godfrey was sent to the Red Sox as the player to be named later in the trade for Rosario, who had already been DFA'd by the A's. Finally, to complete this three-ring circus, Rosario was claimed off waivers (initiated when the A's DFA'd him) by the Red Sox - the same team that traded him to Oakland on November 28th for what turned out to be Graham Godfrey! So basically, after all is said and done, the A's sent Rosario and Godfrey to Boston for absolutely nobody. Am I the only A's fan scratching his head at this utterly ridiculous chain of events?????

Edited 12/10/12   by  tenace18
Edited 12/10/12   by  tenace18
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • BeaneBall

The fact that Rosario was claimed by Boston makes it a mindboggler. If another team had claimed him I suppose it wouldn't look quite as strange although we still end up losing Godfrey and Rosario with nothing in return.

Billy must have been inhaling deeply.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • dnrapp
The A's dfa'd Rosario to open up a roster spot when they traded for Chris Respo form the Pirates.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • bh192012
Wouldn't it have been easier to DFA Godfrey and have the Sox pick him up.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • rudirules
That's essentially what happened. Hardly worth typing two sentences about, much less getting upset.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • flaminpen
And they both end up in Boston
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • cufc
DN: That's what I remember
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • BeaneBall

From Chronicle Staff Writer Susan Slusser

The Red Sox claimed pitcher Sandy Rosario today, meaning that Boston basically got right-hander Graham Godfrey for nothing. The A’s got Rosario from Boston on Nov. 28 for a player to be named, who turned out to be Godfrey, and then designated Rosario for assignment on Nov. 30, and Boston just grabbed him back.

Yes, that looks odd – hey, take Graham Godfrey for free! – but it’s really an indication that the A’s wanted Chris Resop, acquired from the Pirates on Nov. 30, more than they did Rosario. Also, the team gets a $20,000 waiver fee for Rosario, so they do get something back, even if not a player.

That’s the trouble with 40-man rosters, there are some tough decisions to be made even at the lower end of it… Remember two years ago when the A’s claimed Edwin Encarnacion from Toronto, then designated him in order to keep Kevin Kouzmanoff?

Toronto then re-signed Encarnacion, a month after letting him go. That went a little unnoticed at the time, but Encarnacion would have been the better bet for Oakland: He hit 42 homers last year, while Kouzmanoff was demoted during the 2011 season.

Usually, though, these things are pretty forgettable. And guess what? Boston is likely to just turn around and designate Rosario when the Red Sox sign some of the players they’re currently talking to. My guess is his merry-go-round of a winter is not over.

In that case, the gentlemanly thing for Boston to do would have been to not put in a claim on Rosario, and if he’d gone unclaimed, the A’s could have outrighted him and then it’s at least trading a guy to get a guy. Now, the Red Sox are probably going to let Rosario go, anyway, and the A’s get squat.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • tenace18

Well if the Red Sox eventually do release Rosario maybe Billy will claim him, then DFA Barton to clear a spot on the 40-man for Rosario. Of course, Billy could have done that a month ago and the A's could have had both Rosario and Resop on the 40-man. Oh well, what are you gonna do? LOL
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • BeaneBall
I'm a strong proponent of the "DFA Barton" scenario.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • A'sfan125
I think everyone not named BB, Barton's Mom, and Scooby are strong proponents of that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • BeaneBall
Did Scooby fall off the face of the earth? Haven't seen a post from him in months.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • A'sfan125
Last time was when he made a guest appearance when Brandon Allen was released to tell us how great Barton is. Can't say I've missed his whiny drivel.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • rudirules
He posts pretty regularly at athleticsnation.com using the same screen name. I think he gave up on us knuckle draggers.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • dnrapp
The Red Sox put him on waivers yesterday and the Cubs claimed him today.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • BeaneBall
So we don't meet his requirements intellectually?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • rudirules
I don't want to put words on his keyboard, but that's the feeling I got from his last few posts here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/12/12
  • A'sfan125
yeah...God forbid some of us older cats know sh!t about anything that can't be explained in a stat
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by phxmuni - 2:06 PM
Best Bullpen in MLB is a joke!
Latest by Asfanlouky - 11:39 AM
Blown again....
Latest by repko23 - 9:40 AM
Bullpen woes
Latest by repko23 - 8:40 AM
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by A'sfan125 - 1:18 AM