• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• PLEASE BILLY! SIGN DREW!!! GET IT DONE!
  • To:All
  • 12/7/12
  • rushhead

Here's to hoping that Drew signs the one year deal with a player option for 2014!

The A's need him! He11 we need him!!!!!

If he doesn't stay then I would take Peralta from the Tigers over the Japanese fella.

Jhonny was a stud in 2011!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • pdmtasfan
Johnny B Good, but Drew B better!
Love,
Chuck Berry
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • rushhead

Hahaha! Good one!

Looks like McCarthey is a Diamondback!

I hope the A's can get another starting pitcher!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TiggerBounce

>>Jhonny was a stud in 2011!<<

Yeah, he was. And not as good in 2012. His career numbers fall between the two. And he was very "studly" in the ALCS. In my opinion he was the MVP of that series, although Delmon was pretty solid.

Hard to say what might happen if the Tigers get another SS. They might try to use Jhonny at 2B (never played there before) or they might deal him for a studly young corner outfielder.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • GreenElephant
YOU ARE STILL POSTING ON HERE TIGGERBOUNCE?!?!?! HAHAHHAHAAH ARE YOU CONVERTING TO THE GREEN AND GOLD? and on a serious note, I really hope we get Drew back. He is a stud
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/7/12
  • TiggerBounce

Drew is a little light in OPS to be a true stud at the plate, but when you combine the defense and the bat, he's a real keeper. Won't be cheap, but he seems a good fit for either the A's or the Tigers.

I hear you have a hot prospect in Addison Russell that's likely to be your SS in a couple of years. Even if the salary for Drew is high, you'd only have to keep him for a year or two then trade him, when the kid is ready to take his place.

Green and Gold? Not specifically. Just a fan of good baseball anywhere.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • rushhead

Hey Detroit Tigger Fan! What's up?

If Drew goes to Detroit then Peralta better come to Oakland.
I think Jhonny needs a change of scenery.

Drew will always be my number one hope though.
I was on this forum for a month writing how much the A's needed to get Drew before the deadline.
It didn't happen but Billy still pulled the trigger.

I was happier than a "Piglet" in mud! LOL!

A's Rule! Tigers drool!

Signed,

Cabrera The Pooh

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • rushhead

Addison Russell is a stud!

Hope the A's get Drew for the next two years. Then Russell will slide right in.

I hate it when Giants fans come on here and talk s h i te but you are alright in my book even though you are a Tiger fan.

I don't think I told you this. I drafted Austin Jackson last season in my Fantasy League. The dude was money except for that DL stint.

Will Austin be Awesome Jackson again?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • TiggerBounce

Not into fantasy stuff.

If I had to guess, little less awesomeness from Austin at the plate, methinks. 2012 will be hard to repeat. He'll come close, though. A little stronger on defense.

Hope you picked Cespedes for your LF. He's gonna crush in 2013.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/8/12
  • rushhead

I'm very smart or very lucky. I picked Cespedes in last year's draft.
Since he was a rookie I automatically get him next year!

I'm pumped!!

A's will be fine next season!!

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • diceydog99
I'm not sure what's going on in Beane town, but I checked the A's depth chart and it shows Brandon Hicks as the No. 2 shortstop. Says it was verified on Dec. 8. I've got no beef with the roster checkers on the A's site. I've made my share of mistakes and I never appreciated when some dweeb would come along and point them out. But the Hicks goof aside, the depth chart shows just how stark a contrast there is between the outfield and infield depth. We're so distracted by the quest for a shortstop, we didn't notice how scary the 2B situation is. Now, maybe the 2011 Weeks will show up, but if he doesn't, the A's are pinning their hopes on a guy, Sizemore, who is shifting positions and hasn't seen live pitching in more than a year. And do you want to risk a surgically repaired joint to a take-out slide? At third, I thought Donaldson was one of the A's best and most clutch players down the stretch. But his first half was a stinker-roo. Can he do it over an entire season? Hope so. At first, Carter had maybe two months of glory. He tailed off badly at the end. Moss was fantastic and clutch, but like Donaldson, was he a one-year wonder? Hope not. That Barton was not non-tendered baffled me. I really had hope for him at one time. If he could only put up Danny Cater numbers (look him up) there would be no way anyone could have taken the job from him. But he has become such a passive hitter. Leading the league in walks was probably the worst thing that happened to him. I haven't even mentioned the catching position. Probably shouldn't. I like Norris; learning the nuances of calling a big-league game on the fly is probably the most daunting thing there is in the sport. He'll be OK. Maybe not Buster or Yadier OK, but OK enough for us. All of this makes me appreciate how good and deep the outfield is.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/9/12
  • rudirules
Nearly all of your post is accurate, but let me be the dweeb who points out that Sizemore has played far more games at 2B than any other position in his pro career. He was out of position in 2011 when he was plugged into 3B after Kouzmanoff's belly flop.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • glusv
Realistic post.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • diceydog99
No, you're not a dweeb. I am one and I've never seen you at any of the meetings. I'm also a nincompoop for not double-checking on Sizemore's history at 2B before posting. Still worry about him making the pivot and taking a hit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • macksman

If I'm not mistaken, right now we have Andy Parrino, Adam Rosales, and Eric Sogard as shortstop candidates for the 2013 season. This does not fill me with hope, but who else might we sign or acquire by trade? Well, Drew is still available, though I understad that the Tigers are interedted in him, and they will certainly outbid us. So Peralta becomes available -not as good a shortstop as Drew in my opinion. Besides, if we wouldn't pick up Drew's option for $10 mil, why would the A's pay that amount or more now? The olnly hope of signing Drew might come from a multi year deal with $8.5 or $9 mil for the first year and $10 mil for the next year and $12 mil for the third year. No doubt Beane would trade him before we would spend that kind of money. Right now Drew is going to cost us if we want to have him as our shortstop next year. Who would the tigers want for Peralta? They certainly aren't going to give him away. Maybe, Griffin or Strailey and another prospect like Taylor or perhaps one of our relievers'

If we want a quality shortstop, there aren't many out there. Perhaps, the Phillies would unload Jimmy Rollins, but he has had a lot of wear and tear and seems to be in the twilight of his career, and how many games would he miss for injuries - remember what we have for back ups now. He isn't a realistic candidate.

The other noteworthy candidate is Asdrubal Cabrera with the Indians. The D-backs tried to work a trade for him which started with an AAA pitcher named Bauer and other prospects, but apparently the Indians wanted better quality prospects. Unless the A's are willing to give up Griffin or Strailey plus possibly Green and Carnigan, I doubt that we would be able to make the trade. We would also have to assume the two remaining years on his contract which comes to a little over $16 mil. We would have a quality shortstop for two years which may be enough time for Russell or another prospect to develop. Probably too expensive in dollars andplayers to acquire Cabrera for next year.

If we do not pick up one of these players, shortstop will be a position that will be much weaker than this year. Maybe there is someone I have overlooked or haven't read about, but I don't see the A's improving next year with a weaker shortstop.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • dnrapp
That AAA pitcher named Bauer is the D-Backs top Pitching prospect, he was their 1st round pick in 2011 #3 overall.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • glusv
Pennington was our shortstop for the greater part of last season and he was absolutely horrible. Drew did improve the position, as you point out it is unlikely the A's will sign him if other teams are interested, plus Boras is his agent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/10/12
  • bh192012

Last year:

Jhonny Peralta vs Adam Rosales
.239/.305/.384 vs .222/.297/.333
.8 WAR vs .7 WAR
85 OPS+ vs 76 OPS+ (OPS adjusted for park)
under control for 1 year vs under control for 3
$6,000,000 vs $700,000

To make that happen..... the suggestion is we trade some prospect along with AJ Griffin. AJ is a controlable, starting pitcher until 2019 (called up June this year, 82 innings) pitched 3.06 ERA, 7-1 record, 130 ERA+, 2.1 WAR. Also, he'll make minimum wage for a while I believe.

I ...

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/11/12
  • rudirules
Like everyone else, I've seen the rumors about a Peralta trade, but I think it would be pointless to give up talent to get him when there are still a few free agents available that are as good as him that would sign for about the same salary. He's only had one good year in the last four. He would be an upgrade over what the A's have now, but that would still be below average.

Edited 12/11/12   by  rudirules
  • Reply to this Message
Message 62008.20 was deleted
Recent Discussions
Tough loss, but great trip
Latest by gnandgld - 11:45 AM
C'mon mannn
Latest by repko23 - 9:10 AM
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by gnandgld - 6:53 AM
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by phxmuni - 2:06 AM
Reddick & Sutcliffe
Latest by goAs2014 - Apr-16
Reddick..how much longer?
Latest by svt039 - Apr-16
This really chaps my Glutes!
Latest by catfish71 - Apr-16
Road Trip to date, 5-1 833 Winning %
Daric Barton batting .085 starting at first!
Latest by tenace18 - Apr-16
Happy, but......