• Welcome Guest
A's Fan Forum

Welcome to the A's Fan Forum.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Good Luck Mr. Gomes
  • To:All
  • 11/28/12
  • cufc

Good Bye Gomes-sies ... Great year, last... Thanks..

I'm sadden by this... But, the A's have done better with Young... And 5 Mil a year for Gomes - Wow!!! That was never in the cards for the A's... Seems Drew is gone for certain now with his list of suitors... They are lining up like, he is a new age Penelope...

I had predicted a San Diego move... with Ross in the mix.... Was hoping for more... But, a good move for both teams... Long term the Friars may have got the best of the deal - if Ross pans out and I think he will be OK... But, we needed a Shortstop in our pocket - now!!... Never know, maybe, the kid will hit 300 and play great D... Wouldn't that be nice...

We're not done... We'll get some more chaff before this winter is over...

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • BeaneBall

"We'll get some more chaff before this winter is over..."

LOL! Good description of what the A's generally acquire in the offseason.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • catfish71
Lots of people thought players like Gomes, Seth Smith and Reddick were chaff last year. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • cufc

Cat: The A's traded for Smith... He was a shoe - in to make the team last year... Gomes was fighting for his life MLB...

I was super high on Reddick... He was perfect for Oakland... Think many others were too

A's picked up a relief pitcher today from Boston Sandy Rosario to fill pitching needs in the system...IMO... He has Sacto written all over him... Saw a scouting report on one site that was not to positive about his chances of being a success in the bigs... He is 27... Bye bye G. Mitchell most likely and D. Hicks was traded to the Mets for money...

He won a big game for us last year with a walk off... Thanks Mr. Hicks

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • BeaneBall
Absolutely. I wasn't demeaning the players, just the fact that we generally acquire unknowns.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/28/12
  • A'sfan125
Ross succkkkksssss @ss ....so does the guy the A's got for him. Basura for basura.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 11/30/12
  • keywee

Sad to see him go as well, seeing that he was a local and all and how much he did for the community.

On a side note I would like to point out the sheer unfairness in the MLB, when high payrolls can take assentially an backup outfielder/pitch hitter and give him like and extra 4 Million dollars a year to play for them. It really puts our low budget A's in a bind getting whatever they can afford.

I just thank god that we have Beane that some way or another makes it happen. I will say I really doubted him last offseason, but quickly learned that I must not and will not ever doubt him again. He clearly has it going on haha.

Just hopeful we can make somehting happen for our infield during the meetings comming up. I would oppose resigning Drew, great glove and decent bat however I dont think that he is the long term solution for us. But with the short stop market scarce its going to be hard to keep him.

But Beane will figure something out.

In Beane we trust and good luck Gomes accept when the Redsox play the A's then I wish you nothing but stikeouts and Bad plays on your part, but I mean that with the utmost respect.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • keepcoco

Gomes towards the end of the year was no better a hitter than anyone here on this board, absolutely attrocious.

That being said, one of the coolest basbeall guys in the game and seems like a complete class act. Would love to see him as a bench coach or something in the system when he hangs it up. Those gold robes were awesome.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • tenace18

"Gomes towards the end of the year was no better a hitter than anyone here on this board, absolutely attrocious."

I'm really not sure what you're basing this comment on. In August Gomes had an OPS of .873, which was 2nd best on the team (behind Donaldson's 1.033). And in September he had an OPS of .903, which was also 2nd on the team (behind Moss @ 1.109). Clearly Gomes was one of the A's BEST hitters towards the end of the year.

Conversely, let's take a look at the September numbers for Carter (.150 BA and .644 OPS) and Reddick (.164 BA and .518 OPS). Those are the guys who were "absolutely atrocious" towards the end of the season - not Gomes.

• Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • catfish71
No I understand. If the A's didn't acquire unknowns, their payroll wouldn't be so low. Those name players cost a lot.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 11/30/12
  • catfish71

Sure they traded for Smith. But was anyone expecting much out of him? He actually provided about what I thought. I liked the Reddick trade, but I was thinking he'd be a 15 hr guy. I don't think anyone thought that much of him, and like virtually everyone I didn't realize his defense was so solid.

My point is no one thought Smith or Reddick were game changers.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/25/12
  • flaminpen
Thanks for taking the words right off the top. I always liked Gomes and true that! He would make a great addition to any teams coaching staff. I met this "real" person and came away a better person for having had that privilege. Thank you Jonny!
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
A's Seek 10 Year Lease In Oakland
Latest by gigglestix - 4:54 PM
Tough loss, but great trip
Latest by phxmuni - 2:30 AM
Reddick Not In The Line-Up Again Today...
Latest by A'sfan125 - Apr-17
Great Starting Pitching - Bullpen Weak
Latest by bayfever - Apr-17
Reddick..how much longer?
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
Callaspo at 1st
Latest by BeaneBall - Apr-17
C'mon mannn
Latest by repko23 - Apr-17
Reddick & Sutcliffe
Latest by goAs2014 - Apr-16
This really chaps my Glutes!