• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Could Calhoun win a starting job?
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • halos13
Hamilton in LF, Trout in CF, and Kole in RF. He might even be a good fit at number two hitter. Makes first five alternate R/L
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • HookedOnTrout
It would require injuries.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • angelsince61
I really like Calhoun, but his chances of just making open day roster this year is slim to none. Until we got Hamilton, I thought that maybe we could use this year to transition him into the outfield with Trout and Bourjos (I'd love to see that outfield). But right now, he would have to jump over Bourjos and Wells to get a starting spot. i just don't think that's going to happen this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

It's a possibility, just not until mid season.

I think he'll be given the 3rd shot.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/17/13
  • halos13
You all are probably right, but if Bourjos struggles again then I think its an option. Obviously PB and Wells are. ahead of him now but a good spring might change things. Or injuries..
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127416.6 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • halos13
I doubt Cousins will ever be a "starting outfielder " for the Angels
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127416.8 was deleted
  • 1/17/13
  • Bozeman

There's no room for Calhoun right now. Heaven forbid we have injuries he would probably get a opportunity.

I heard on 830AM today he just got married.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/17/13
  • KennedyHits3
I sure hope Wells is not ahead of Calhoun. I'd like him to get a fair shake. Wells will never be more than a .220-.240 hitter with a low obp. Calhoun's upside is much greater than Wells.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127416.11 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • ExNo15

"I sure hope Wells is not ahead of Calhoun. I'd like him to get a fair shake. Wells will never be more than a .220-.240 hitter with a low obp. Calhoun's upside is much greater than Wells."

This.

Which means that Bourjos would have to hit poorly to give Calhoun a chance to start. While I would like to see Bourjos hit well enough to earn a starting job, I really do believe that Calhoun would be better than Bourjos overall (defense + offense) given enough starts. The problem is that Scioscia would also have to believe that Wells's overall performance would be less than Calhoun's, and I just don't see that happening.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • Angeleer

< Wells cannot be sent down to the minors unless he clears waivers >

Is there any doubt that Wells would clear waivers? That is not the reason Wells can't be sent to the minors.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • saylo
Wells WOULD clear waivers...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127416.15 was deleted
  • 1/18/13
  • angelscubs
In Wells case, waivers are irrelevant....not applicable. He wouldn't need to clear waivers. Wells is a 10 and 5 player, who can, and will, refuse minor league assignment. He would have like 10 days to be traded, or become a free agent. And.. since he has a full non trade clause, he wouldn't accept a trade.
Then, as a free agent, he can draw TWO paychecks every 2 weeks.. to stink.

Edited 1/18/13   by  angelscubs
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • KennedyHits3

Which means that Bourjos would have to hit poorly to give Calhoun a chance to start. While I would like to see Bourjos hit well enough to earn a starting job, I really do believe that Calhoun would be better than Bourjos overall (defense + offense) given enough starts. The problem is that Scioscia would also have to believe that Wells's overall performance would be less than Calhoun's, and I just don't see that happening."

Even if Bourjos and Trumbo do play well, I believe there will be a fair amount of abs for either Calhoun or Wells. Hamilton always misses 20-30 games and there will be rest/injury days mixed in for Pujols, Trumbo and Bourjos. My belief, or maybe my hope, is that Dipoto will limit Scioscia's choices. I think if Calhoun does well in spring training again he may have the upper hand. Dipoto seems to want to give the young guys a chance. Scioscia not so much.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • KennedyHits3

Wells cannot be sent down to the minors unless he clears waivers

With that he is ahead of Calhoun"

It appears that they will both be on the 25 man roster so the waiver issue doesn't impact playing time. One plays, one sits. I hope the sitter is Wells. That's Scioscia's call.....unfortunately.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • angelscubs

How long will Bourjos get to prove he can produce at the plate? A month? 6 weeks? 2 months?
I think the chances are good that it is going to take him a while to get going, and what happens when he is hitting 230 after the 3rd week of the season.
PB better hope the team is winning if he struggles out of the gate. Calhoun will no doubt impress in ST, just like he did last year, and the days when Scioscia can use the "Long Season-Marathon not Sprint- We are getting where we want to be" BS are over.
How long does Bourjos get, and what does he need to be hitting to stay?

My guess is end of April , and if he isn't hitting 260-270 by then, with a decent OBP, he should be in jeopardy of losing his spot. NOT to Wells, but to Calhoun.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/18/13
  • angelscubs
Wells cannot be sent down to the minors unless he clears waivers>>>
Wells cant be sent to the minors, period.
He would have to accept that, which he won't.
In 10 days he would become an unrestricted FA.
  • Reply to this Message