• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Vindicating Wells
  • To:All
  • 1/10/13
  • SD_Angel

I am hearing a whole lot about taking a huge loss of Wells so that we can pick up more players, so I thought I might offer some of my insight into the situation.

The reason we didn't go to the playoffs last year is NOT because of a huge piece. It was because Trout missed a month with injury, Pujols adjustment, Wilson/Santana/Haren struggles, and the lack of a good arm in the bullpen.

Trout is here for the whole season, Pujols is adjusted, Wilson will perform, the the rotation/bullpen are question marks but look upgraded to me. Hamilton is icing on the cake in terms of production.

Which brings me back to Wells. We don't need another player, and Wells is not just dead weight. In his last season, he knocked out nearly 20 homers in part time play. That is a luxury to us, but most teams would welcome it. We need him for depth, and no other players (Thome, Hafner, etc) would be a better DH than Wells.

Just saying, other than pitching this team should be done with adding players.

• Reply to this Message
Message 127377.2 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • yakuzafro

The 20 HRs came with a .230 batting average, a .279 on base percentage, and barely above eplacement level play. Wells' offense over the last 2 years ranks in the bottom 50 of all Major League outfielders with at least 600 plate appearances.

No vindication. He's terrible.

• Reply to this Message
Message 127377.4 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • SD_Angel
Maybe move Kendrick up instead of Callaspo, but that lineup is going to score some runs. With Bourjos,Calhoun, and some other good bench players, this team will not problems scoring runs.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127377.6 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • CalifCajun

I think the bullpen blowing 22 saves is what killed the Angels last year. Your other points are valid but I think that was the biggie.

Wells didn't really hurt the team as much as he hurt the pocketbook.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
  • yakuzafro

"Wells > Bourjos"

Oh, right. You're the troll. To the ignore pile then.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
  • Troutbomb
that's just ridiculous
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/13
  • ChefTom

Of course Wells lousy play was not what killed the Angels as a whole however In no way did Wells do anything to even make a positive contribution to last years Angel team. The Angels were not a better team with Wells in the lineup just look what happened after he got hurt, the Angels played their best and most consistent baseball of the year and were in the hunt .

Having him in the lineup hurt the Angels defensively With Hunter, Trout and PB the Angels had the best defensive outfield in baseball. Wells lack of any offensive production did nothing to offset that. He was no threat to opposing pitchers and provided no protection for anyone hitting around him. MS continuing to run VW out there everyday took AB's away and much needed playing time from PB and basicaly made the season a complete waste for PB and his development as an MLB player

If Wells is on the team MS will play him and playing him makes the Angels worse not better he needs to go

• Reply to this Message
Messages 127377.11 through 127377.12 were deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • Troutbomb
How is that relevant when he's done none of those things in anaheim? He's been collecting his fat checks, bourjos had one down year, i don't think he will repeat his last years performance.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127377.14 was deleted
  • 1/11/13
  • Troutbomb
.....2 years of straight garbage in anaheim, when he hits .230 again this year let's see what you'll say then

Edited 1/11/13   by  Troutbomb
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • iLikePancakess
I think we are the only ones that believe Bourjos is overrated lol
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127377.17 was deleted
  • 1/11/13
  • EcksFactor
Wells had 11 homers last year, not "nearly 20." And that sparkling .230 average and impressive .279 OBP. And declining defensive skills in the OF.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • thrones
Amen you see the light if we blow half as many saves this year we win this division. Really its that simple after all the hand ringing over other things that's the easiest thing fixable that makes a difference.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • Angeleer
I'm hoping that Wells doesn't get the opportunity to "vindicate" himself, for two reasons. The first is I am fairly sure he won't be able to do it. The second reason is much more important, if Wells is given regular playing time it would mean there is something seriously wrong with the Angels.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
Ianetta vs. Conger
Latest by firems - 1:37 AM
Does Pujols look done now?
Latest by VladdyforHOF - 1:32 AM
4/20 Angels @ Tigers
Latest by VladdyforHOF - 1:25 AM
Now, Change Your Mind about TROUT trade?
Latest by ElHombre5IsBack - 12:52 AM
Angels Bullpen is a nightmare
Latest by ElHombre5IsBack - 12:50 AM
Comparison
Latest by ElHombre5IsBack - 12:43 AM
Brawl
Latest by caangels72 - Apr-20
the plot thickens?
Latest by daygloman2 - Apr-20
Big Question
Latest by tripolikid - Apr-20
this loss is on Scioscia