• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• To:All
  • 1/9/13
  • angels1974
I see that quite a few on here are not happy about trading Kendrys Morales, but what other options were there. Trumbo was not going anywhere and I don't think the Angels were going to get much for Bourjos and Wells is pretty much untradeable. Morales was not going to get resigned after this year, he wants to play the field and does not want to be a full time DH and with Scott Boras as his agent that pretty much should tell you he is gone so the Angels got a pitcher who can easily throw up 200 plus innings and he won 14 games last year for a team with the worst offense in baseball, surely he can duplicate that win total with this offense
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Angeleer

< surely he can duplicate that win total (14) with this offense >

I would take that bet.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • halofuzz
I think most of the angry posts were driven by our fans attachment to the Angel players. Morales has history with the Halos and it's hard to see him move on. But from a business standpoint, I agree it was a good trade and could turn out to be a great trade if he puts up the same type of pitching numbers this year in Anaheim as he did last year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • saylo
Vargas is an improvement over Haren and/or Santana. There is no position for Morales to play as a regular that means he is odd man out.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • halofuzz

That depends on how you look at the team. Offensively I would rather have Morales at DH with Trumbo, Trout and Hamilton in the outfield. That would take Bourjos' bat out of the lineup. So I don't think he was the "odd man out". The front office simply had some trade pieces.

But I do agree with you that Vargas will be an improvement over Santana/Haren

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

The Angels didn't get anything in return. I would much rather have Morales at DH than Trumbo... it's not even a close call.

If you were going to trade him, then trade him for a prospect or don't trade him. Don't trade him for someone who shouldn't even be in your rotation.

I would much rather have Karstens.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

I have no attachment to Morales.

I think he's going to have a good year because he's further removed from injury and he had a pretty good year last year after missing almost two full seasons.

That in itself is remarkable.

I think Vargas is going to have a bad year because pitchers who don't strike anyone out and allow a lot of HRs typically stink.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

--
Vargas is an improvement over Haren and/or Santana.
--
Last years Haren or Santana.

--
There is no position for Morales to play as a regular that means he is odd man out.
--
He's going to hit more than 25 HRs this year. You can't find some value for that?

• Reply to this Message
Message 127367.9 was deleted
  • 1/9/13
  • KennedyHits3
I'm mixed on the Morales trade. I think there would have been plenty of abs to keep everyone reasonably happy and productive. Hamilton always misses 20-30 games, Morales could have sat vs lefties (30 games) and mix in some rest days for Bourjos, Trumbo and Pujols and there would be decent PT to go around. My biggest fear is that Wells is going to get PT. What happens if Trumbo struggles like he did in the 2nd half of last season? What happens if Bourjos hits like he did in 2012? I just hope Scioscia gives Calhoun an adequate chance before resorting to the horrible Wells. I have my doubts...Mike loves unproductive vets. That being said, they did need more options for starting pitchers. The question is whether the Angels could have picked up a FA on the level of Vargas. I'm not a huge Vargas fan but I do think he will have better numbers than Hansen or Richards.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • buffalo44
I can't believe another thread was started about him, but I guess it is the offseason and fans are bored. The deal is done and over.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Bozeman
Don't feed the troll.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • saylo

What kind of value when a player CANNOT play a position full time and has Boras as his agent plus after 2013 he would be in his walk year? It would have been a 99% chance he walks if he was kept.

Trades are best made when a team looks BEYOND just one year. Vargas has a healthy arm and will be a far greater asset in the long run regardless of how Morales does with MARINERS.

This was a great trade by Dipoto. Kudos to him!

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • buffalo44
He isn't a troll here, he has been on and off here for a long time. I think his post was relevent.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

I don't care about 2014. I don't care about the Boras. We are built to win now, to weaken our 2013 team hoping we'll be stronger in 2014 is not very wise.

--
What kind of value when a player CANNOT play a position full time
--
You mean like David Ortiz, Frank Thomas, Brain Downing, Chili Davis, Edgar Martinez, Billy Butler, Edwin Encarncion and Chris Davis.

It blows my mind that so many people don't understand the purpose of the DH.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • saylo

Morales does not have versatility...he is cemented to DH.

As a base runner Morales is another Bengie Molina...a double play waiting to happen.

Dipoto got a much-needed LHP for the rotation who is HEALTHY...Morales is NOT what one would call "healthy."

Vargas will win no less than 15 games this year...he might be even better than C.J. Wilson.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

--
What kind of value when a player CANNOT play a position full time
--
So what. That's David Ortiz and Billy Butler and Edwin Encarncion. Not to mention, he's a better first basemen than Trumbo.

--
As a base runner Morales is another Bengie Molina...a double play waiting to happen.
--
He doesn't have all that much to do with GIDPs. He's slow on the bases. It's an issue, but not a big issue.

--
Vargas will win no less than 15 games this year...he might be even better than C.J. Wilson.
--
It comes down to Vargas. If you think he is going to have that much value, then you are right.
I think he stinks. If he stinks, I'm right.

Edited 1/9/13   by  Angel_Graffiti
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/9/13
  • Gone_Fishing
The Morales trade was a very good move by the Angels. Vargas gives the Angels 6 starting pitchers. You are going to need at least one extra pitcher during the season. Vargas is durable and can throw a lot of innings. He is improving his stats. He pitches well in Anaheim. Morales is a Boras client who would be gone next year. The Angels had a long jam of players that opens up a bit with the Morales trade. Bourjos can now play more. Trumbo, Pujols and Hamilton can all rest a bit on the field by taking the DH spot in the lineup.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Troutbomb
Vargas is going to have a bad year, Morales over 25 HR, whered you get your crystal ball?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • Druma4life

"The Angels didn't get anything in return. I would much rather have Morales at DH than Trumbo... it's not even a close call"

Really? Trumbo was better offensively than morales in 2012, even with the two month period where he was the worst hitter in baseball. Trumbo put up a higher WAR with minus defense. With Trumbo at DH, his spot in the field has now been hugely upgraded defensively and we still keep his bat in the lineup. AND we got a starting pitcher. How is this a bad move??

• Reply to this Message