• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Bring back 'Buttercup' in 2013 7th innings??
  • To:All
  • 1/8/13
  • CalifCajun

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130107&content_id=40874312&vkey=news_ana&c_id=ana

This is the most frequently asked question posed to beat writer Alden Gonzalez:

So it's pretty much time to get rid of "Build Me Up Buttercup," right? I mean, Angels fans have higher expectations than to ultimately be let down. Right?
-- Jason D., Tustin, Calif.

Turns out the most popular Inbox email had nothing to do with Hamilton, Pujols, Trout or the starting rotation. It was regarding "Build Me Up Buttercup," the classic Foundations song with pessimistic lyrics -- "Why do you build me up [build me up], Buttercup baby, just to let me down" -- that the Angels play during the seventh-inning stretch.

Angels communications manager Eric Kay told me that as of now there are "no plans for a change." But upper management and the entertainment department usually make that call closer to the season. I'll keep you posted; I know you're all very concerned.

(My vote is Yes. I like the song.)

Edited 1/8/13   by  CalifCajun
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • AprilThruSeptember

I hate the song and wish they didn't use it. It makes no sense at all at baseball games.

After they do "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," I sit down. I refuse to stand for "Buttercup."

Just being honest.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/8/13
  • tomkrax
I don't like that song to much either.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 127363.4 was deleted
  • 1/9/13
  • shareshoe
I agree wholeheartedly. I think this is ridiculous. I travel all over the country to other ballparks and they have songs that are meaningful to their fans and team. Even Boston uses a song that the fans love. I have been a season ticket holder for many years and I can tell you no one in my section thinks that song is appropriate for the stretch. How about a beach song since we are in SoCal? How about a fighting song about winning or overcoming obstacles? Anything but this stupid song. I am not surprised that it is the most asked question? I ask it every home game.....really? Buttercup you let me down?? You never call when you say you will??? UGHHHH.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/13
  • CalifCajun

The Red Sox play "Sweet Caroline" for their 7th inning tune.

I like the song but don't remember hearing anyone else saying he or she did. It must be a personal favorite of one of the higher ups. They ought to change it to something that's more popular. The college I attended plays "Centerfield" and it has become a tradition with everybody singing and clapping hands. It's a highlight event at every game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOwPr6kGHRE

• Reply to this Message
Message 127363.7 was deleted
  • 1/10/13
  • Gone_Fishing
It's kind of a "bubblegum" song but I understand why the Angels play it. It's has easy lyrics to remember and it's family friendly.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • Angeleer
I like "Buttercup" more than "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" ... and totally despise "God Bless America". Just being honest here.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • standfan

Maybe you'll like this song better:

http://youtu.be/AOAtz8xWM0w

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • Angeleer
Nope, still like Buttercup better,
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/15/13
  • CalifCajun

Listening to that Russian national anthem, I kept waiting for the Korbel champagne cork to pop.

How about playing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAYcHUP2iE

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/20/13
  • rdh1972

Personally, I don't like it when ANY team plays anything other than "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". My least favorite thing about actually going to the game is "Buttercup"... largely due to the fact that it IS catchy and sticks in my head. (Although I've been to enough East Coast games to know that I hate "Sweet Caroline" even more... albeit for the same reason.)

I don't think I'd mind as much if the song choice didn't seem so completely and totally arbitrary. Pick ANYTHING that even MENTIONS Angels or that has SOMETHING to do with Southern California.

Pretty much any Beach Boys song ever would work just fine. (My personal preference would be "California Girls", although mostly because of what I suspect the cameramen would do while that was playing.)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/22/13
  • bpgenius
no
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/25/13
  • lightitupbaby
I think they should go with "Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads. Much more along the lines of what I want the Angels to be on the field.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/26/13
  • BASEjump99
Although I love Talking Heads, I gotta admit others on here are spot on with something more SoCal specific like "Good Vibrations" or "Catch A Wave". You could even go with something newer like the Chili Peppers. ;-)
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/26/13
  • csontixman
I've had season seats for over 15 years and I really don't pay attention to the songs they play in between innings. That is usually the time when I take the kids to get food, use the bathroom, or just stretch the legs. I think this is a non-issue.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/26/13
  • roadangel

There is a Beach Boys song titled "Our Team" (original recording date unkown and listed as previously unreleased), which appears as cut 20 on disc four of the Good Vibrations boxed set which was released in 1993. It's a bit cheesy and sounds like it may have been written more pertaining to basketball, but is kind of catchy in a commercial way, and might actually work as a Buttercup replacement????

A link to it is not available on YouTube, nor am I able to post one. Any of you Angels/Beach Boys fans able to do so, or are familiar with this song?

• Reply to this Message
  • 2/26/13
  • roadangel
Forgot to mention, "Our Team" is basically a casual sing-a-long type of song which would be considered family friendly, and definately has the old Beach Boys feel/sound to it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 2/26/13
  • bekkie

What makes "Sweet Caroline" any more significant to baseball than "Build me up, Buttercup?" Seriously, I wonder how many people pay that much attention to the song - unless they are just having a good time at the ball park. And no one told the previous poster that she had to stand during the song. . . .

However, they should be playing something from the Beach Boys or a SoCal band that has good music, though, personally, I enjoyed it when they played "Til I Saw Her Standing There."

• Reply to this Message