• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Angels interested in Joe Saunders?
  • 1/5/13
  • TNT_27_44
Maybe that's his agent throwing that out there? I can't see any way that the Angels would have interest unless they are already planning for Hanson needing surgery. Maybe they had interest prior to trading for Vargas.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/5/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

We already acquired Saunders lite in Vargas. Meaning Saunders is better.

What a horrible move my DiPoto.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/5/13
  • 1gameatatime

Don't we have a surplus of 4-5 guys in the rotation. Richards and Willams can take the place of Blanton or Hanson if they come up injured.

I don't see a spot on the roster to add Saunders wth the guys we have. Who would go if we picked him up and what would be his role?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/5/13
  • sugamonkey
I wish we would have just signed Joe Saunders, not traded Kendrys Morales, and had one deadly offensive team of POWER.....He-Man!!!!!

Edited 1/5/13   by  sugamonkey
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/5/13
  • sugamonkey
Amen!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/5/13
  • pokerbrat

Misleading post by MLBTR..

According to the article from the Baltimore Sun, "the Orioles, Los Angeles Angels, New York Mets, Minnesota Twins and Seattle Mariners are among the clubs that reportedly have kicked Saunders’ tires this winter."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-joe-saunders-says-hed-love-to-come-back-to-baltimore-20130104,0,5511410.story

There were multiple reports during the winter meetings that the Angels were kicking the tires on Joe Saunders..That doesn't mean the Angels are still interested in acquiring him..

From the same Baltimore Sun article

<Another industry source said Saunders’ representatives were initially seeking a four-year contract during the winter meetings in December.>

IMO when Dipoto heard the asking price for Saunders, A. Sanchez, E. Jackson etc., he decided to sign Blanton and trade for Vargas and Hansen..

The worst thing Dipoto could have done this winter was sign Saunders for 4 years

Dec. 4th tweet

Mike DiGiovanna
?@MikeDiGiovanna
#Angels have checked in on virtually every SP: Anibal Sanchez, Kyle Lohse, Edwin Jackson, Ryan Dempster, Joe Saunders. Greinke first choice.

Edited 1/5/13   by  pokerbrat
Edited 1/6/13   by  pokerbrat
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • pokerbrat

Price of free agent starting pitchers Angels had interest in at the winter meetings.

Greinke: $147M, 6 yrs

E Jax : $52M, 4yrs

A. Sanchez : $80M, 5 yrs

Saunders : ?? asking for a 4 yr contract at the winter meetings

Kyle Lohse : ?? I can't imagine what Boras was asking for him at the winter meetings

The price for Jeremy Guthrie was a 3 yr, $25M contract

I think it's obvious Dipoto was not interested in paying Market value for free agent starting pitching this winter.. A depleted farm system limited potential trades.. While settling on Blanton, Hansen and Vargas isn't an ideal situation, the cost was minimal (with zero long term commitments) and the Angels didn't further deplete an already thin farm system by trading a top prospect (ie. Cowart)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • angelskicka

Yes, very misleading.

"Saunders also has interest from the Angels, Mets, Twins, and Mariners and says that he wants to play for a contender."

It says HAS interest, not HAD interest. Oh well, half the rumors on this site are probably untrue anyway.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • pokerbrat

Yep..

The Angels rotation is full

Weaver
Wilson
Vargas
Hansen
Blanton
Richards (6th)
Williams (7th)

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • AngelsFaninLkArowhd

Full of what though?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • glovesuite
I agree. Morales was collateral damage on a market that is way over priced.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • Angeleer

< The worst thing Dipoto could have done this winter was sign Saunders for 4 years >

I agree with that, but trading Morales for Vargas was just slightly less as bad. Dipoto could have probably traded Efren Navarro, Matt Long, or another mid-level prospect for Vargas. Dipoto got played IMO.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • EcksFactor
Seriously??? Sure, deplete our already weak farm system even more. That's the spirit.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • Angeleer
I doubt Navarro, Long, or even Luis Jimenez are going to do anything for the Angels at the big league level. I wouldn't trade anyone that I thought was going to be around next year for Vargas, and the only one of those 3 that might is Long, and maybe Jimenez if Cowart is a total bust this year.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

This team just gave away Morales and took on about 3 million in extra salary for what I believe will be for a pitcher that shouldn't be in the rotation.

That's pretty bad.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • CalifCajun
I admit that I have thought about Saunders a few times during this offseason and despite his high ERA, I think he would find himself and do a good job for the Angels. At least I'd like to see competition for the starting rotation this spring.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • pokerbrat

The M's side of the deal

<http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121219&content_id=40752064&vkey=news_sea&c_id=sea>

There is no way the M's would've traded their #2 starting pitcher last season that was 4th in the AL with 22 quality starts last season for a bunch of low levels prospects like Navarro, and Long.. Prospects that would get lost in their system..

In May of 2011, I thought Kendry's career was over.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/angels/2011-05-11-kendrys-morales-surgery_N.htm

Good take on the Angels situation after the Hamilton signing. I think it's a good "take" because I agree with the analysis :)

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/hamilton-fallout-trade-bourjos-trumbo-or-morales/

IMO the Dipoto made the decision that was best for the Angels in the long term..

Only time will tell how much starting pitching depth the Angels are going to need this season and what type of pitcher Richards eventually becomes.. Dipoto wanted the innings from Vargas

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • Angeleer
There is no way Vargas is a #2 on a contending team. His numbers weren't all that good last year, and being an extreme flyball pitcher in the "new" Safeco probably would have led to his demise in 2013... and still might. Vargas was definitely expendable and Dipoto simply got played IMO.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/6/13
  • buffalo44
Saunders has stated he wants to stay where he is at. The Angels made him cry once, I hope they don't make him cry twice.
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
4/20 Angels @ Tigers
Latest by BigFatFan - 8:31 PM
Trout in a slump
Latest by EcksFactor - 8:29 PM
Big Question
Latest by gigglestix - 8:27 PM
2014 All-Star game, Trout and Pujols, book it
Latest by EcksFactor - 8:23 PM
This loss is on Conger
Latest by EcksFactor - 8:20 PM
2outJepco
Latest by EcksFactor - 8:17 PM
Does Pujols look done now?
Latest by Angel_Graffiti - 7:47 PM
Angels Bullpen is a nightmare
Latest by gigglestix - 7:46 PM
Now, Change Your Mind about TROUT trade?
Latest by angels1974 - 7:37 PM
Does Scioscia believe in the bunt?
Latest by sgmusik - 7:19 PM