• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• IN NEED OF HELP?
  • To:All
  • 1/2/13
  • glovesuite

Since I haven't seen a new post on here for a week and there are still 50 valid free agents out there. ARE WE FINISHED?

If not....These are the 3 things I think we need to address.

1. Why not add another starter? If we saved 20 million on starting pitching and we still have a question mark or two with the rotation....I think we should acquire a high risk/high return pitcher if the price is right. (6th starter). Give Richards a year in the minors.

2. With Morales departure...we could use a DH vs right handed pitching to add depth to that lineup. That Trumbo second half was troubling to say the least. That left handed bat vs righty's could be a high risk/high return guy as well.

3. Another arm in the pen for a reasonable price could work...Jepsen and most relievers are year to year....so why not?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/2/13
  • Only2PlayersAway

The high risk/return guy I would like is Jair Jurrjens for SP depth

Not sure they need a LH, DH but a LH bat (Kelly Johnson or Adam Kennedy??,Angels need some infield depth with Izturis gone)

Bullpen can never be too deep....but who? (Lindstrom,Farnsworth or a Wilson/Valverde type?)

Edited 1/2/13   by  Only2PlayersAway
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/2/13
  • glovesuite

Jurrjens has pretty good stuff. Not a strikeout guy though. If Marcum is healthy and affordable...we should think about it.

As of right now...Trumbo is our DH vs right handed pitching...if he tanks early a left handed bat with pop vs right handed pitching would be nice. That would also provide us with a half decent pinch hitter which we haven't had in years. Lance Berkman?

Kyle Farnsworth would be a nice risk. Throws hard and has shown flash's. Valerde's a head case and could be good if given the ball early. We couldn't do that. He's better off on the Pirates and taken the 8th inning.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/2/13
  • TNT_27_44
We should see if we can sign a starting pitcher, coming off injury or a very poor season, to a minor league deal with a spring training invite. If they don't make the club they can go to the minors to build themselves back up and possible be ready in case of an injury up top. Dallas Braden is another pitcher that comes to mind that might fit this scenario. He may not be ready until mid-season though.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/2/13
  • glovesuite
That sounds like a solid idea. I think there's others with a higher upside and still inexpensive.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/2/13
  • artethesmarte

Larry Bowa on MLB Tonight thinks the Halos should sign Kyle Lohse in order to solidify the rotation citing Hanson as an unknown entity at this point (it was just on a couple of minutes ago).

I wouldn't mind if for a couple of years, however, I'm not too keen on giving up a draft pick in order to get him.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/2/13
  • glovesuite
Our starting pitching is not set. I would kick the tires on him and if it's unreasonable, I would go after Marcum as a cheaper option with as much of an upside.

Edited 1/2/13   by  glovesuite
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • cuidado1

I think our SP is set. We have Richards and Williams as back ups. I'd say the thinking must be that we can score more runs than our 3-7 starters can give up.

Yes, a LH bat as a DH and off the bench in late innings would be nice. Looking over the list, I'd say Berkman is the best choice. Injuries are a concern but we wouldnt be asking him to play the field. Also, the Rangers are talking to him. It would nix that.

What about infield depth? In the past, we've had two utility players who generally dont start. Are we just going with Romine? What about getting someone like Freddie Sanchez? The guy can hit and can play 2nd and 3rd.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • Angeleer

< so why not? >

The biggest problem is finding room on the 25 man roster to add anyone. Richards has options, and Hanson may have one option left, but that is about it as far as pitchers who have a shot to make the 25 man roster are concerned.

The position players is even worse, Conger is out of options, and I think Romine is as well. Cousins and Field were claimed off waivers so they must be on the active roster.

So where is the roster spot going to come from to add anyone else? Personally, I think Wells should be released prior to Opening Day if Dipoto can't trade him before then.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • yakuzafro

Jurrjens stuff is not good anymore. That's why he doesn't strike anyone out. That's why he's begging for a major league contract. Like Hanson, he lost so much velocity on his fastball that it hurts his other pitchers. Unlike Hanson, Jurrjens doesn't have an out pitch.

Jurrjens' 2011 was mostly smoke and mirrors -- left on base percentage, BABIP, home-run percentage all at unsustainable levels. Pitchers who don't strike out many batters, walk too many batters, and give up lots of fly balls, have a hard time succeeding.

Marcum offers a whole lot more upside. Heck, Blanton, Hanson, and Vargas probably offer more upside.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • glovesuite

Obviously you know I have been saying Berkman since Morales left.
Perfect fit with experience. Texas scenario is a total bonus.

Romine is our back up SS. Kendrick could play a little 3rd base and Romine could play second as well.

A back up middle infielder is a roster clogger. Don't need it for the regular season. If an infielder gets hurt...you call one up.

SP is a concern...Although Richards and Williams are good enough...A number 2 guy should still be on our radar.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • glovesuite
I'd agree on that!
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

--
A back up middle infielder is a roster clogger.
--
I don't understand that. Even if Aybar, Kendrick and Callaspo play every inning of 150 games (that's an awful lot) That's 36 games a backup infielder will start.

That's not a clogger, that's a necessity, and that's not likely to happen.

Am I missing something?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • glovesuite

Cousins and Fields are depth guys. If we could sign Lance Berkman...We wouldn' t lose any sleep or that much money in releasing one of them.

Conger could actually be the solution. If he can get hot early against right handed pitching with power...he gives us a DH vs righty's (from the left side). Now thats a big if...I have seen stranger things happen.

Conger would save us a roster spot by being our backup catcher and potential DH vs righty's.

After all....If Conger cannot do that at this point in his career, he is better off going somewhere else and playing everyday. He is not that young anymore and has to prove he can stay healthy and hit right handed pitching to have any type of career in the majors.

CONGER is a huge x factor and if we don't make a deal for a left handed bat...it's because we feel CONGER is ready to produce.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • glovesuite

Yeah Romine is playing those 36 games and maybe more....

I was referring to "not needing another backup infielder after Romine"

In regards to that(clogger)...although is IZZY was serviceable...If our 3b scenario was a little more solid over the years...Izzy was taking a big bat off the bench's roster spot.

Anyone that has watched the Angels know's our bench has been thin through the years and Izzy and his spot was a big part of that problem.

With that I feel comfortable that Collaspo, Aybar, and Kendrick will give us what we need.

In the meantime...Romine will win the job and that extra roster spot should be a DH vs right handed pitching.....if...Conger struggles....or we feel he is not enough....I would like a veteran with experience as apposed to just Conger...Conger may prove me wrong by the break.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • Angel_Graffiti

I knew I was missing something. Everyone has a backup infielder. :)

You can likely live without a second. You can find a few innings somewhere until AAA help comes the next day.

Jimmy Anderson caught a game for goodness sakes. Remember him?

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • glovesuite

I actually don't but yes...the minors are there for us for a reason.

Lets get some pop off that bench this year.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • cuidado1

There's no WAY we're going after a #2 starter, at this point.

We would have already gotten one earlier, not signed Blanton for 7 mil per and just used Richards or Williams as our #5. The time for a #2 is clearly gone, even if the need still exists.

I think it's obvious that Dipoto has a pretty hard and fast budget from Arte. I'm 95% sure we're done spending on FAs.

But, it's fun to talk about filling the perceived shortcomings with someone else's money, eh??!!!

So, let's tally the results compared to last year.............

Offense-improved
Defense-improved
Bullpen-improved
SP-about the same as the first half, but probably more depth. Certainly not as good if you include Greinke

Now, how does our budget this year compare to last year? I dont know.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • buffalo44

It is not just the compensation pic, it also the lost money in the signing pool the Angels would lose, the amount of years that Lohse would want, and the fact that he made almost $12M last year. With Boras as his agent do the Angels want to pay him $15-18M a year for 4-5 years? I don't think he is worth ALL that.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21491929/free-agent-kyle-lohse-says-new-compensation-system-hurting-him

Edited 1/3/13   by  buffalo44
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/3/13
  • artethesmarte
Yep...then there's that!
  • Reply to this Message