• Welcome Guest
Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Is Angels owner Arte Moreno obsessed with the Dodgers?
  • To:All
  • 12/27/12
  • TNT_27_44

Not sure if this was talked about already, but i just found it online. Interesting question. Does Arte care more about the Dodgers and trying to be the headline team in the market or putting together a solid, complete team that can win a World Series? Is Arte's ego getting too big and is he just trying to keep up with the Dodgers now by just buying his healines? If the Angels win a World Series and Arte wants to hold the parade in downtown L.A., will you go? You know that's a distinct possibility.

"By Steve Dilbeck
December 16, 2012, 3:27 p.m.

Hey, Dodgers, Arte Moreno is calling you out!

A little mano a mano action. I’m not sure if his Angels are playing in the American League West or in some imaginary division where his Angels line up across the Dodgers every night.

He rolled some serious dice Saturday and signed slugging outfielder Josh Hamilton to a five-year contract for $125 million, and what did he say to The Times’ Bill Plaschke?

“The Dodgers, Merry Christmas, I personally can hardly wait to play them,” he said.

Really? Moreno has a bug about the Dodgers. I guess it’s an inferiority complex. Which is not really so much about their play on the field as their standing in the Los Angeles area, where Moreno apparently wants to badly to be considered an equal with the Dodgers.

And that will never happen. As in, never. I don’t care if he calls his team the Los Angeles Angels of Los Angeles, the City of Angels belongs to the Dodgers. Always has, always will.

The Angels are the bigger team in Orange County, I guess, but that’s not enough for Moreno. He can’t just ask his marketing people to try and own the Inland Empire and expand north, he looks lustfully to Los Angeles and points west.

All those people, all those marketing possibilities, all that big-name prestige. If only they could just play on the field and winner take all.

“Think about how much fun it's going to be,” Moreno said. “Dodger fans and Angel fans get to argue about whose team is better, who's stronger, who's weaker … do you know how much fun it's going to be?”

You’d think he would be more excited about chasing down the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers, teams that finished ahead of the Angels in the AL West last season, than worrying about the Dodgers. Be more concerned about reversing declining attendance than trying to plant a flag across the county line.

Nope, he wants to arm wrestle Mark Walter. He wants headlines in the Los Angeles Times. He desperately wants to be the top baseball dog in Southern California. Wants the rest of the nation to view his Angels as the superior Los Angeles team.

Some people just never know when to be happy. Maybe it all comes down to money in the end or maybe Moreno is just a highly competitive sort who should be admired. The Angels have won four of six games against the Dodgers the last two seasons, but Moreno wants more.

Think he goes after Hamilton if the Dodgers don’t sign right-hander Zack Greinke away from the Angels? Maybe, but the Angels need high-end starters more than they do star everyday players.

It’s kind of strange, Moreno’s fixation with the team from Chavez Ravine. It’s almost as if he goes to bed every night wresting with thoughts of how he can usurp the Dodgers’ spell over Los Angeles.

I guess this Dodgers envy thing has worked how pretty well for the San Francisco Giants recently, so all the best of luck Moreno. Hope Hamilton delivers. Hope your offense rocks. Just hope if you ever personally win a World Series, you’re not seen on the podium, holding the trophy aloft and saying, “Take that, Dodgers!”

Somehow I fear your dreams would still be cast in nightmarish blue. And how much fun is that going to be?"

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • AngelsFaninLkArowhd
The writer certainly has a problem with Moreno. That's pretty clear.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • pjcrowder20

The writer might just be trying to portray the Angels as the Mets and the Dodgers as the Yankees.

The Yankee have tried for many years to overshadow the Mets and get more coverage. George Steinbrenner was obsessed with keeping the Yankees on page one of the sports pages.
That's why he kept hiring and firing Billy Martin, kept soap operas concerning things players like Reggie Jackson, Thurman Munson, Sparky Lyle,and Goose Gossage.

So this guy is possibly representing the Dodgers, who have been spending money like it was water bringing in these free agents and calling themselves the "Yankees of the west coast" just putting the word out.

What he not taking into account is, the Mets tried the same thing with the Mo Vaughn.Edgardo Alfonso signings and trading for guys like Todd Hundley and Roberto Alamar, Jeremy Burnitz, Joe McEwing, and Steve Trachsel, and all they came up with was a couple of years older and deeper in dept.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • KennedyHits3
Dilbeck is the Dodger reporter for the LA Times. He's an idiot. Which pretty much goes without saying as he writes for the LAT. Yes, Arte is interested in bringing in as many fans and selling as much merchandise as possible. So what? It's a business and I think it's pretty normal to be competitive with a team whose territories overlap. The Dodgers are going to have the 200M plus payroll, not the Angels.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • EcksFactor
Good piece of propaganda....
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

"""So this guy is possibly representing the Dodgers, who have been spending money like it was water bringing in these free agents ""

You guys have out spent the Dodgers every year since 2004, on players such as Vlad, Hunter, Pujols, Hamilton, Wilson, Colon, GMJ and Wells. Not to mention all the money that was spent in house on Anderson, Erstad, Weaver and others.

The Dodgers were raided financially by their former owner for 8 seasons. He refused to pay decent signing bonuses and cutbacks decimated their player development, scouting and farm system, which was always the cornerstone of the Dodger franchise. The only 2 star players they have produced since 2004 are Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp.

They now have an owner with money, like you do. Whats the difference between them doing it now and you guys doing it for the last 9 seasons?

Edited 12/27/12   by  BlueCatfish
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • pjcrowder20

The difference is the new Dodger owners are out there talking trash about the money they are spending and or going to spend. No one has been doing this over the last decade when the Dodger ownership was a disgruntled married couple who treated the team like a child in a custody suit.

it's not the Angels fault that those two were a couple of spark plugs short of a set.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

"""The difference is the new Dodger owners are out there talking trash about the money they are spending and or going to spend. No one has been doing this over the last decade when the Dodger ownership was a disgruntled married couple who treated the team like a child in a custody suit."""

LOL, you guys weren't complaining last season when you out spent them by between 50-60 million. I remember your fans bragging and talking trash about your new media contract last season when signing Pujols and Wilson.

"""it's not the Angels fault that those two were a couple of spark plugs short of a set.""

Just like it's not the Dodgers fault their media contract will be worth nearly double of what you guys settled for.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • Gone_Fishing

I'm not sure what this writer has a problem with. Perhaps he missed out on Moreno's autograph or something. Moreno wants to win. Pure and simple. The Dodgers had just signed Greinke away from the Angels so Moreno was complementing the Dodgers when he mentioned the competition between the 2 teams after the Angels signed Hamilton. Believe me, Moreno is more interested on winning a World Series then what the Dodgers are doing.

The Angels have an aggressive young GM now who believes in rebuilding the farm. It will pay dividends. They are building a nucleus of young players like Trout, Trumbo, Bourjos, Richards and others that will help the Angels be winners for many years to come.

It doesn't hurt to have a huge TV deal as well to sign top free agents that meet the Angels' needs.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • Angeleer
All Dodger fans have a very difficult time dealing with the fact that their favorite team's name translates to "The Angels Dodgers"... that and the fact that for the last decade or so the Angels own their favorite team on the field as well. This Dilbert guy is just another of these clowns.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • buffalo44
All Dodger fans?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • Angeleer
Maybe not all but the vast majority I have come in contact with.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

""'All Dodger fans have a very difficult time dealing with the fact that their favorite team's name translates to "The Angels Dodgers"...

It really sounds like you are making up the part about the fans caring about having the name The Angels Dodgers. But isn't that more of a compliment than an insult? Does that not imply that the Angels team is the Dodgers? Your team name only indicates that The Angels have their own Angels.

"""that and the fact that for the last decade or so the Angels own their favorite team on the field as well.""

They are probably far more concerned about having a thief for an owner over the last 8 years, while losing ground and trash talking rights to their true rivals, The Giants.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • Angeleer

Its kind of ridiculous for a transplanted team to call themselves the "real team" of the region, don't you think? Yet that is what a lot of Dodger fans do, very insecure.

< Your team name only indicates that The Angels have their own Angels. >

That is much more true than what some Dodger buffoon said, "the only Angels he knows are heaven and they are ex Dodgers". That is about the same as me saying the only real Dodgers are the ones that evaded the military draft by running away.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

""Its kind of ridiculous for a transplanted team to call themselves the "real team" of the region, don't you think? Yet that is what a lot of Dodger fans do, very insecure.""

I don't think it's ridiculous at all from the stand point that they were the first Major League team in Los Angeles and in California. Since we now follow and root for Major league baseball and not the old PCL they have a valid point. Walter O'Malley brought Major League Baseball that we all know and love to the West Coast. Since there was no expansion teams before 1961, it took an MLB established team to make the move first, it enabled the west coast market to open up further allowing for a American League team in L.A..

If the Dodgers and Giants didn't make the move, it would have been a longer wait for your team to exist. L.A. was courting other MLB teams besides the Dodgers to move west first. This means the City of L.A. was obviously more interested in the MLB brand of baseball than that of the old PCL. The Washington Senators were also being talked to about making the move out here.

O'Malley built a beautiful brand new modern stadium which enthused most PCL baseball fans, because it was the best there was at the time. Plus winning the World Series a year after arriving, helped cement their place in L.A's hearts. Because to baseball fans, it meant they were just as good as New York, Chicago and the other big cities back east. Adding to that, they won 2 more Championships in the next 6 years giving them 3 in 7 years in L.A.. It also meant that including their Brooklyn days, the Dodgers had won 4 in a 10 year period.

Kind of hard to top that and not call themselves the ""real team"" in the region don't you think? it took you guys 42 years to get one. For 42 years, L.A. would have been looked at as a joke to the rest of the league and to baseball fans around the country. The Dodgers brought the city almost instant recognition and credibility as a top sports city by having a top notched World Championship franchise.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • pjcrowder20

I believe the fact that the PCL was a threat to become a third major league was one big reason the major leagues moved teams west. It already had been dubbed a "open" league, meaning it was above AAA, and just below major league.

Many major league caliber players played in the PCL because the league's teams payed better than some major league teams did, such as the Cardinals, with their massive farm system, the A's, with Connie Mack pinching every nickel, Pittsburgh and both the Boston Braves and Red Sox at times franchises that struggled to meet payroll.

This could nothave made major league ownersvery happy.

Furthermore, the PCL did not have working agreements with major league teams, so it was difficult for them to obtain players from PCL teams, but due to the lengthy seasons played by the PCL, many major league players could play in the PCL.

As to O'Malley and Stoneham bringing top notch baseball and building a beautiful stadium. O'Malley practically stole Chavez Ravine, and he strong armed Horace Stoneham, who was a stooge to O'Malley's every whim, to come with him.

It's just my opinion, but I feel like if the Dodgers and Giants had not moved west, no other team would have, and the PCL would have indeed become recognized as a third major league, much like the American Football League became equal to the NFL later.

Now that's just my opinion and a few fact that i now about it that I base it on.

Edited 12/27/12   by  pjcrowder20
Edited 12/27/12   by  pjcrowder20
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

""". O'Malley practically stole Chavez Ravine, and he strong armed Horace Stoneham, who was a stooge to O'Malley's every whim, to come with him.""

O'Malley had no power over the city or the land they gave him, just like Stoneham was his own person and could have easily said no. The fact that the city was willing to uproot people from their homes to make way for Major league baseball is another indicator they were no longer interested in being a PCL city.

Edited 12/27/12   by  BlueCatfish
  • Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

""Its kind of ridiculous for a transplanted team to call themselves the "real team" of the region, don't you think? ""

Also.

How do you think the A's fans feel, having more success than the Giants have had, and yet still play 2nd fiddle to them in the bay area? There are some things you cannot change no matter how much you win.

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • pjcrowder20

Really? You said they uprooted who from their homes?

And you say the people were ready for major league baseball?

The people? Or was it someone who could make a lot of money"

It sounds to me like the people got kicked to the curve and they built it, made the PCL teams move away, so what choice did they have?

• Reply to this Message
  • 12/27/12
  • BlueCatfish

""Really? You said they uprooted who from their homes?""

Yes the city of L.A. kicked some people out of their homes to make room for a MLB stadium in Chavez Ravine. That was a decision that could have only been made by the City not by Walter O'Malley.

""And you say the people were ready for major league baseball?""

I didn't say the people were ready, I said the City of L.A. wanted an MLB team. As evident by them talking to other clubs besides the Dodgers about moving west.

"""The people? Or was it someone who could make a lot of money"""

You would have to ask the L.A. city council about their decision and why they made it. But it was their decision that made it happen. O'Malley was invited to L.A. he just didn't show up one day with his team and said we're going to play here.

""It sounds to me like the people got kicked to the curve and they built it,""

It sounds to me like the city was determined one way or another to get an MLB team, if it was the Dodgers or not.

""made the PCL teams move away, so what choice did they have? ""

The City of L.A. made the decision, part of the agreement was that O'Malley would have to buy the PCL Angels and Wrigley field to compensate the owner for intruding into his territory.

• Reply to this Message