Angels

Welcome to the Angels.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• What is the deal with Brandon Wood?
Message 115071.1 was deleted
  • 1/9/11
  • Halo_Time1

You really don't want me to say. ;)

I've already stated my opinion on this guy repeatedly.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/11
  • Octops
Just put in Wood into the Search this Forum slot and get at lest a "gezillion" threads discussing this
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/11
  • halofan48
He played in the Arizona League, which is supposed to be almost like A ball. Supposedly, he should have been hitting even better.
  • Reply to this Message
Messages 115071.5 through 115071.6 were deleted
  • 1/9/11
  • halofan48

Me too. That would be horrible.

But he's supposed to be the "real deal."

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/11
  • Angeleer
Wood can hit a fastball... and nothing else. Since fastballs are the primary pitch in rookie ball, A ball, and the AZ Fall league, it would be disappointing if he didn't do well there. However, when Wood was in AA, and AAA, I don't think "dominate" would be a good term to describe his play there. Not as bad as he has been in the majors but not that good either.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 115071.9 was deleted
  • 1/9/11
  • Angeleer
Its A ball.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 115071.11 was deleted
  • 1/9/11
  • Angeleer
If you look at Wood's numbers there appears to be a trend... he starts out well enough and then starts a decline the longer he is in the league. That is very disheartening.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/9/11
  • Halo_Time1

Dallas has/had a bad back.

Wood doesn't have that excuse.

• Reply to this Message
Message 115071.14 was deleted
  • 1/9/11
  • 1gameatatime

So was Wood and Mcpherson.

Don't give up on Wood until after ST. Let's see if he can get going. It won't cost the Angels to give him another shot.

I would love to see him make it. Especially after most gave up on him.

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/9/11
  • sashroxx03
Biggest reason I think is in the minor leagues you have pitchers that are on the same level as Wood so he can dominate them in the Majors you have Pitching that makes him look bad...I'd like to see him bat against a pitch like T Lincecum...Well ok maybe not...then again maybe that scenario would get him to retire once he realizes he cant hit Major league pitching.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/9/11
  • cuidado1
What are the options for Wood if he doesnt hit this spring? Can he be sent down without exposing him to other teams? Would it even matter, at that point?

Edited 1/9/11   by  cuidado1
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/11
  • EcksFactor
He also played half his games in Salt Lake City's thin air.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/10/11
  • EcksFactor
I don't know the specifics, but last season Wood was "out of options." Meaning, they have to put him on waivers before sending him down, and another team has x amount of time to claim him. I'm not sure if that still applies. (I think is does, but can someone clarify?)

Edited 1/10/11   by  EcksFactor
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/11
  • 4wood16

Good to here he still has one fan still pulling for him.

He is now working with the best hitting coach in ML baseball ( Kevin Long )

He has told him that his swing looks great since changing back from what the Angels staff had been teaching him for the past 3 yrs.

He told him that he has had a lazy lower half which has caused a longer swing and he is not exploding his hips thru the ball and not locking out his left leg which accounts for the lack of power.

Brandon told me that in AZ fall that he was trying something different for a one week period where he struggled , then went back to what he had started with and if not for that he would have hit around .480

He has a great mental approch right now and seams to be on the right track with his swing , I spent 5 days with him at the wedding at the Montelucia resort in Pleasant Vally AZ the first week in December and he is looking forward to ST and is working his tail off right now to get ready .

Not saying that he is going to come out this spring hitting .350 with 40 HRs but he seems to be on the right track nowand you will see a different swing than you have the past 3 yrs come spring training. He still has to get playing time and work on his pitch recognition at the ML level to become a good ML hitter.

Edited 1/11/11   by  4wood16
Edited 1/11/11   by  4wood16
  • Reply to this Message