• Welcome Guest
Detroit Tigers

Welcome to the Detroit Tigers.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• Do you think Rondon will be our closer?
  • 1/11/13
  • yeah_buddy

i also have my doubts he'll be the best option for the 9th right out of spring training

i'd like to see al-b-q get the ball

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • dtownies

I personally don't give a sh!t.

I am more interested in who is going to be the 5th starter.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • mrpeepers
Nope. What will most likely happen is there will be quite a few closers on the market by Spring Training. We'll probably pick up someone at a bargain, just as insurance... Jon Rauch, Brandon Lyon, maybe even Soriano. DD will still insist that Rondon "will be given every opportunity to win the job out of Spring Training," but then the veteran will win the job because it's a safer choice and Rondon still has some kinks to work out.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 75503.5 was deleted
  • 1/11/13
  • TiggerBounce

1 - Probably no closer in the normal sense of 'scripted innings'. Best relievers will be used for the situation.

2 - Al will probably be the heir apparent as our go-to guy for tough parts of any lineup, regardless of left or right handed hitters.

3 - Phil will be used for tough LHB.

4 - Octavio will be used for tough RHB.

5 - Rondon will be used in non-critical situations until he has lots of ML innings.

6 - Spring Training could change everything.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • delandbob
Im feeling especially optimistic today. Rondon will pitch a few 7th innings but will be the full time closer before the All Star Game.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • dtownies

You a most likely right.

If it was me on the other hand, I would put in my best pitcher for the situation and make them earn the $$. That's just me.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/11/13
  • TiggerBounce
And I agree about being interested in who the fifth starter will be.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • wurmie
No. A team built to return, and win, the World Series won't go into the season with an unproven rookie as closer, no matter how talented they appear.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • Paubranco

<<Probably no closer in the normal sense of 'scripted innings'. Best relievers will be used for the situation>>

somehow, just can't see Leyland trying to do this and it coming out good

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • CopaMedium
..... only because Jim's idea of 'correct fit' is not in agreement with yours..... or mine.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • TiggerBounce
That's the danger of actually managing. If the results aren't successful, the manager gets the blame. By using a predictable scripted approach (Seventh inning guy, setup man, closer) if the results aren't successful, the players get the blame.
  • Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/12/13
  • kuhby13

If we trust Smoke Stack in running this team with a closer by commitee approach, he will get eaten alive by the fans and media everytime we blow a save. Remember last year when everyone was calling for his head with the bogus lineups he was running out there while trying to win a divisional title????? Can you imagine HIM PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH our bullpen trying to save games????? He will get second guessed with every pitching decision he makes, and you all know it!!

I'll be shocked if DD doesn't add an experienced closer.

The 5th starter? Drew Smyly. The writing is on the wall.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • Mr Wert

Unless the Tigers sign Soriano (which I am predicting they will.....I am not saying I want him....I kinda don't) I believe Rondon will not prove to be ready for the "closer" role. He might make the staff, but I don't think he'll be designated that guy.

If there is no Soriano, or Brandon Lyon (please noooo) or Capps or K-Rod or Valverde-like signing I believe they will go with a "no designated closer" role....but Phil Coke will get a lot of chances.

As long as you don't call Coke the closer but let him do most of the closing I think he'll rise to the occassion. I think he feeds off the tension knowing he only has to throw 10-20 pitches and get 1-2-3 guys out.

JMHO.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • kuhby13

<Phil Coke will get a lot of chances.>

God help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply to this Message
  • To:All
  • 1/12/13
  • Mr Wert

I just read thru the thread again.

What if Porcello stays and keeps the 5th starter role and they convert Smyly to a closer. If pressed I'd have to say he's the best pitcher on the staff not starting. Wouldn't you want your "6th" best arm (and brain) closing?

Don't answer that Hopper. I know what you're going to say.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • TiggerBounce

<<<The 5th starter? Drew Smyly. The writing is on the wall. >>>

A few minutes ago, you said Drew was the second lefty we needed in the pen.
The same kid as a starter AND reliever?
Seem like a mighty heavy workload.

• Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • bobrob2004
It's the reason why I said Rick Porcello wouldn't be a bad choice to be a closer (he's not much different than Brett Myers).

I still want the more talented pitcher in the rotation, so I want Smyly starting.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 1/12/13
  • Mr Wert
I think Smyly is a better pitcher than Porcello too. I think Smyly in the pen is a waste. I don't think Porcello would be a very good relief pitcher. I think the Brett Myers comparison is a fair one. I think Myers is too good to waste in the pen.....well...he's not great...just good enough to be a starter on the Indians.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 75503.21 was deleted