• Welcome Guest
Major League Baseball

Welcome to the Major League Baseball.
Before posting, please review our Message Board Guidelines

• RBI or RBI's
  • To:All
  • 7/14/09
  • actualfan
This is the most annoying thing in the world. It's RBIs!!!!!!!! After it's an abbreviation, it needs to be pluralized on it's own. This seems to be a recent trend used mostly by women and young kids, or people who did not grow up as real baseball fans. Like those who just want to know the score of a game, without actually watching it.
You don't hear anyone saying that a boxer was "K'd-O", do you?
  • Reply to this Message
Message 87269.39 was deleted
  • 7/14/09
  • kcnatsfan
Are you a teacher?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • actualfan
no, just a sports fan who is annoyed at mo rons (espn anchors mostly) who aren't fans, trying to change the way we say things, because they were journalism majors and not sports fans.
Also, when they say "the Knicks ARE a good team, and the Heat IS a good team" annoys me as well. It's like they change it just to be different for the sake of being different.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • rocksn09
It's RBI. Your saying it's runs batted ins?
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • actualfan
No, it's RBIs. Are you saying that someone could have 3 run batted in? It's an abbreviation. Once it's abbreviated, it's it's own word.
If a boxer gets Knocked Out, you would say he was KO'd, not K'd O.
Plus, that's how EVERYONE has said it forever, up until like 5-8 years ago. Maybe I'm just old.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • MintyRoadkill

"Are you saying that someone could have 3 run batted in?"

When you're talking about 1 RBI, it's run batted in, when you have 2 or more, RBI stands for runs batted in. They're two different abbreviations.

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • actualfan
So then what you are saying is, that it should be RsBI.
So, how do you say the abbreviation for Knocked Out? I'd love to hear your answer.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • MintyRoadkill

"So then what you are saying is, that it should be RsBI. "

Runs starts with the letter "R". It does not need to be abbreviated to "Rs". When it's singular, would you abbreviate it as "Rn"?

• Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • actualfan
No, I'm saying that it is/should be RBIs.
As in: 1 RBI, 2 RBIs, 3 RBIs, etc.
I've never heard this 2 or 3 RBI thing until like 6-7 years ago. When I was growing up watching and playing baseball it was (and should be) always RBIs. I think everyone is over thinking it. And it seems like the people who say "3 RBI" didn't watch baseball when they were little kids.
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • rocksn09
So your saying it should be Run/runs batted ins compared to runs/run batted in? When people say a player has 3 rbi, It's "so an so has 3 runs batted in." or "so and so has 3 ribbies" not "so an so has 3 runs batted ins."
  • Reply to this Message
  • 7/14/09
  • actualfan
No, I'm saying that if you get 1 Run Batted In, you got 1 RBI.
If you get 2 Runs Batted In, you got 2 RBIs.
It doesn't matter what letter come after the first letter of each word. The abbreviation is "RBI". So the plural of the abbreviation "RBI" is "RBIs". It's like any other abbreviation.
Also, "ribbie" is just pronouncing "RBI" as a word. But you said "3 ribbieS", not "3 ribbie"?
"Ribbie" is saying "RBI", so "Ribbies" is saying "RBIs" . So you should say "RBIs" ("ribbies").
I can't even believe that people ever considered saying 3 RBI. No one ever used to say it, so where did you get it from?
  • Reply to this Message
Recent Discussions
OT: The Voice
Latest by JustAmazin - 3:58 AM
OT: TV/Movie thread
Latest by bobrob2004 - 12:44 AM
Official 2014 Prospect Thread
Latest by Ortiz34Fan - Apr-16
Do you like Sabermetrics?
Latest by Ortiz34Fan - Apr-16
Nirvana Hall of Fame Induction
Latest by RobertoClemente21 - Apr-16